• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Dunning in for Fairbrother (injured), Wykes for McCalman and Staniforth for Barty. Longbottom on the bench. JO'C still injured.

Cam Shepherd back to fullback which will be good to see - his injuries must be at the stage where he can kick again.

Can't imagine a great deal of interest in this match but it'd be good if the Force could finish with three wins on their South African tour.

Western Force Squad

1.Pek Cowan 2.Ben Whittaker 3.Matt Dunning 4.Sam Wykes 5.Nathan Sharpe (c) 6.Matt Hodgson 7.David Pocock 8.Richard Brown 9.Brett Sheehan 10.David Hill 11.Nick Cummins 12.Ryan Cross 13.Mitch Inman 14.Scott Staniforth 15.Cameron Shepherd.

Reserves: 16.Nathan Charles 17.Kieran Longbottom 18. Tom Hockings 19.Ben McCalman 20.Justin Turner 21.Sam Harris 22.Mark Bartholomeusz

Cyril Towers (30)
McCalman is a bit unlucky to go back to the bench after last week. Having said that, I suppose the only spot open for him was Wykes's 2nd row spot and Ben is a bit short for that. Hopefully he'll give them hell when he comes off the bench.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I guess this change is just rotation. Mitch has been doing this recently to give all the young guys a go for next season. It's obviously a policy that's been working.....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree with that. McCalman played well against the Crusaders, but it's not as though the Force have a tall 6 or 8 to take pressure off Sharpie at the lineout. McCalman should rotate that spot with Wykes at least. Ben has done well in his first season of Super rugby and we'll be watching this space to see how he develops. If he could put on another 5 kgs without it affecting other areas he'd be a terrific no. 8 as the aggression is already there. He's good enough now.

Hockings is another matter. He is a bit of a pot plant and got showed up on defence against the Blues when Mathewson did his diagonal run to score. He would have beaten most 2nd rowers in the comp defending on that run but Hockings' effort was particularly poor.

Have liked what Mitch Inman has done in his first year. Some people are commenting that the Tahs should have had him in their squad instead of Sidey, and they are right, but I can't say that I picked it at the time.

Give or take, that's probably the best looking team the Force have had this year - though that is poorly phrased as Dunning and Sheehan are not going to win any beauty contests, but you know what I mean.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oom Lee, hope you,ll watching this one. You saw Lambie, watch out for Jaco Taute, playing from the bench fot the Lions. He was still in Monnas last year, made the SA U20s WC Sqaud and now straight into S14. Playing 10 and freakish stepup for SA rugby. His dad a poster on the Valie forum obvious very proud of his boy.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PB - who is that young man playing for?

PS - not to any point but what's with Michael Killian this year? He's no a youngster and I remember that he played for the Lions before, but not that he was so good.

He's had to move to the wing because they had to find a slot for Carlos but he's a terrific fullback. Any murmurings over there that he may get into a Bok squad behind Zirchner?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Jaco Taute
jacotaute.png

Interesting to see James OConnor the youngest to make his S14 debut, the youngest SA one is Jaco van der Westhuizen.

Rumours around in Valie Land is that John Mitchell look like coaching their CC side. Maybe they'll tie the knotts and crosses after Mains had so much success around here.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee Grant said:
PB - who is that young man playing for?

PS - not to any point but what's with Michael Killian this year? He's no a youngster and I remember that he played for the Lions before, but not that he was so good.

He's had to move to the wing because they had to find a slot for Carlos but he's a terrific fullback. Any murmurings over there that he may get into a Bok squad behind Zirchner?
Jaco is a product of another SA rugby fabric, Monnas or Monument High in Krugersdorp. They produced Bokke since readmission like Christo Wagenaar, Brendan Venter, Jorrie Muller, Jaque Fourie & Heinke van der Merwe. Heinke's dad Oupa van der Merwe coached Monnas last year and Jaco one of his players.

Michael Killian is a EP (Eastern province) product, he and Chris Jonck joined the Lions from EP. He play fantastic this year and a great finisher.

P

PhucNgo

Reddy! said:
If only the Lions could be relegated, this competition would be so much better.

I think an official from the Southern Spears has already moved that motion Reddy.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Lee Grant said:
Give or take, that's probably the best looking team the Force have had this year - though that is poorly phrased as Dunning and Sheehan are not going to win any beauty contests, but you know what I mean.

If JOC (James O'Connor) was fit where would you put him? Hill, Cross and Inman are in form, and Shep desparately needs a run at 15.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Paris Tah said:
Lee Grant said:

If JOC (James O'Connor) was fit where would you put him? Hill, Cross and Inman are in form, and Shep desparately needs a run at 15.

Bench, probably give him 30 minutes at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.