• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Form Team of the Super 14...so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought it might be interesting to see who would make your form team of the Super 14 so far, including players from all teams.

1. Alexander
2. Polatu-Nau
3. Baxter
4. Matfield
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Hodgson
8. Spies

9. Genia
10. Steyn
11. Mitchell
12. Fainga'a
13. Ranger
14. Guildford
15. Dagg

I tried to be diplomatic about this, but am bias to Aus in a few positions :eek:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers second on the log and no player in your team.

Schalk Burger is playing great rugby at the moment and will be my 6 or 7 flanker by a mile. Bekker over Sharpe and any one of du Jongh/ Jac Fourie/Meisiekind over your two midfielders.

For which teams play Guildford and Daggs, dunno that names at all.

C

chief

Elsom needs to go from that team, hasn't been in form. I would say Burger, but Higginbotham is only a short stride behind him.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Guilford is the only Crusader and Dagg for the Highlanders.

This is on form to date so I agree no McCaw or Carter (I'm talking Dan btw). On form I think Becker has it over Matfield, on form Sharpe deserves a spot. Berger over Elsom definitely on form to date, Faiinger has been good but I would rate la Grange in a losing team over him, or Fruean. Worried only one/two Crusaders make the team but they have yet to play the big two, we'll know after that if any more are deserving.

For the bench I'd say Steenkamp, Moore or du Plessis (maybe Moore), ??? for 4/5, Palu or Waldrom (maybe Palu), FdP, Cooper, maybe Toeava or Muliaina.

No Kiwi front rowers are even close, Henry must be a worried man.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Steenkamp over Alexander, who has blown hot and cold.

Baxter because seriously, no other 3 stands out. I was going to say John Smit just to piss NTA off though.

Agree Bekker over Matfield on form.

Would have Olivier over Fainga'a but now I am being biased.

This really is impossible. Where is Digby? Has Guildford really been that good?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Too be frank, no wingers have been that great apart form Mitchell and even he has had some very sloppy moments. What about Mcabe?

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Stephen Jones & the rest of teh NH cronies have a point when Baxter makes a team of the S14.

Agree, kiwi front rows look shit, actually the kiwi teams look pretty shit to be honest, need a kick up the arse. Kaino has been playing well, def all over Elsom for the team.

I'd go something like Brumbies front row, Bulls locks, Spies, Kaino, Burger, Genia, Cooper, Grant, Ranger, Dagg and a couple of wings from anywhere.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Grant, nice MR you know your rugby. Wanted to propose him myself but then I am biased. ;) Nope Morne Steyn have been great and a form team in S14 at this very moment should include either him and/or FdP. They are the brains behind the top team.

While you lot struggling with the wings, myself thought Sereli plays his best rugby ever for the Stormers at this moment. Hope he and Habana will be easy picks over the next couple of weeks. ;)

T

tranquility

Israel Dagg is a fantastic player isn't he? I think the story is that the highlanders picked him out of the NPC purely on form a couple of seasons ago, as in not in any professional system. Good on him. :thumb

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Blue said:
Baxter because seriously, no other 3 stands out. I was going to say John Smit just to piss NTA off though.

:lmao:

But yeah Baxter is the best THP in the comp at the moment. Who else you gonna pick? You need a good scrum first and foremost and he ticks the boxes there. Problem is anyone THP that Robsinon comes up against is likely to be snotted, and that makes Baxter look even better at the same point in time.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reddy! said:
Too be frank, no wingers have been that great apart form Mitchell and even he has had some very sloppy moments. What about Mcabe?

You clearly have not seen Guildford who, INMNSHO, has been the standout winger of the competition.

McCabe has probably been second best and about as far ahead of the rest as behind Guildford.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
PaarlBok said:
Grant, nice MR you know your rugby. Wanted to propose him myself but then I am biased. ;) Nope Morne Steyn have been great and a form team in S14 at this very moment should include either him and/or FdP. They are the brains behind the top team.

I haven't seen the Stormers play yet, I chose Grant as you say he's been the key contributor behind the Stormers coneceding only 59 points & that is arguably the best stat in the S14. FDP/Steyn are unlucky because again I haven't seen them play, but I have seen Genia/Cooper and they are brilliant to watch.

I thought you'd argue more for Fourie, but anybody that has seen Ranger play this year, simply can't leave him out.

T

tranquility

Zac Guildford is one of those prodigy types. Could be anything.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
MajorlyRagerly said:
Stephen Jones & the rest of teh NH cronies have a point when Baxter makes a team of the S14.

Agree, kiwi front rows look shit, actually the kiwi teams look pretty shit to be honest, need a kick up the arse. Kaino has been playing well, def all over Elsom for the team.

I'd go something like Brumbies front row, Bulls locks, Spies, Kaino, Burger, Genia, Cooper, Grant, Ranger, Dagg and a couple of wings from anywhere.
I'm sure someone will have a go about this, but the Brumbies front row have not, en bloc, outplayed the Waratahs one. For starters Alexander is out of position (well his better position), and Moore has been shaded by TPN (but I would have either in my team). Front rows need to be viewed as a unit, rather than individuals at times.
And for the record I am not saying the Brumbies front row is shit, before Spook comes on all aggrieved.
Bulls locks hard to argue against, prob Elsom at 6 (not Kaino - too many penalties conceded), Spies at 8, Hodgson at 7 (he has been a star in a dud outfit).
On form (from this comp, not counting historical performances) I would have Genia and Cooper because they just work together, 12 = dunno, 13 Ranger (he has been superb attcking, but a bit dusty on defence), wings out of Guildford, Mitchell and Masaga (how has Habana been - haven't seen a lot of his games?), 15 Dagg would work for me.
Some teams are better "teams" rather than having stars ( eg Crusaders compared to Blues) so may get fewer.
I am speaking purely from an Aussie-biased perspective - I have not seen enough of the SA games (due to time difference, and lack of time to watch recorded games) to fairly compare all of them.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
MajorlyRagerly said:
PaarlBok said:

I haven't seen the Stormers play yet, I chose Grant as you say he's been the key contributor behind the Stormers coneceding only 59 points & that is arguably the best stat in the S14. FDP/Steyn are unlucky because again I haven't seen them play, but I have seen Genia/Cooper and they are brilliant to watch.

I thought you'd argue more for Fourie, but anybody that has seen Ranger play this year, simply can't leave him out.
Havent seen much of Ranger myself this year, will see now that the Blues start playing our teams, Mossie havent been that good I think, only now start hitting his straps but I must say the Stormers duo of du Jongh (he is probably on better form) and Mossie totally out tackled/played the All Black midfielder pair from the Hurricanes and the Highlanders.

Try to stay out of arguments tho and is obvious a biased Stormer supporter.

I'd give Mitchell a wing spot, thought he played well against the SA teams. Habana did some great things and the best winger on paper. He did score a few for us and specially the one vs the Clan for the bonuspoint was a good one.

Well I am just hoping the Stormers will give him and Sereli more pill on tour, both great finishers.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, PB, Habana is one of those you would pick just because he's who he is. But as I said, I hadn't seen enough this year. I'll take your word for it.
As many will point out, the wingers don't really matter if the rest are good!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
MajorlyRagerly said:

Shudder

If it is truly a form team you cannot pick Elsom. Done very little. Burger and Hodgson with Spies at the back will make a fine combo.

Only two wings who have consistently performed are Guildford and Mitchell. That's easy.

Ranger - only two games though but both were good. He has the spot for now in my book. Dagg is a bloody fantastic player. Mils had better wake up. He has been very average.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
cyclopath said:
Yeah, PB, Habana is one of those you would pick just because he's who he is. But as I said, I hadn't seen enough this year. I'll take your word for it.

Habana has looked out of sorts. I am stratign to think the way the Stormers play doesn't suit him. They don't bring him in to the game at all. He looks pissed off too. He'll still look for work but they aren't using his strenghts.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
cyclopath said:

Haban has looked out of sorts. I am stratign to thionk the way the Stormers play doesnlt suit him. They don't bring him int the game at all. He looks pissed off too. He'll still look for work but they aren't using his strenghts.
Hate to agree about this but my honest opinion. The Stormers defense have been outstanding, attack de Jongh hold on to much on it. Its getting better and against the Cheetah with Whitehead it was streets better and taking into account with Willem in 10. Suddenly Mossie started to attack the line much more and hopefull it will start clicking on tour, specially with Grant back now. I am 100% positive sure you'll see a much more Stormers attack with Grant & Whitehead (he look like a slick distributor and more a geniune 12). Hope the defense will still be as good as it is at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.