• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Australia, Saturday 19 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
TN grew up playing Sevens, I imagine, so he should have some experience in most areas of the game.

The idea of the big lump packing down at 8 is pretty appealing to me. Just give him the ball and let him truck it up, bowling attempted tacklers out of the way, left right and centre.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If the wallabies want to win the french test then Douglas , Simmons and Arnold need to be the locks. I dares say these 3 locks need to be the combination for the rest of the tests.

Arnold has only started 6 tests all year. If he needs rest then he should be on the bench.

Simmons and Douglas can start and then Arnold for Douglas.

If Carter and Simmons are on at the same time there is no muscle, no impact.
Carter is a lite version of Simmons.

PK I have a lot of time for your opinions generally, but I surely hope, given their respective form in the NRC and Super Rugby this year, that Sam Carter will soon cause you to reverse your opinions of Rob Simmons and Carter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is an article on Foxsports now about the minutes Hooper has played this year so perhaps they are pointing to Hooper being rested for the France game.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
PK I have a lot of time for your opinions generally, but I surely hope, given their respective form in the NRC and Super Rugby this year, that Sam Carter will soon cause you to reverse your opinions of Rob Simmons and Carter.

Carter is one of a long list of players who are good at super rugby and failed to make the step up.

He has had plenty of chances and not impressed. Simmons at test level provides more.

Speight is another example of not stepping up and is very underwhelming at test level yet very good at super rugby level.

If Carter did get another test I would love it if he provided physicality like Coleman and Arnold because then he could replace Simmons and the team is stronger.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I've got McMahon and big Taqele in my squad for the French test, and Hooper in the stands.

French test squad
1. Slipper
2. Latu
3. Smith
4. Carter
5. Douglas
6. Mumm
7. Pocock
8. McMahon
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Naivalu
12. Godwin
13. Morahan
14. Naiyaravoro
15. Kellaway
16. Ready
17. Ryan
18. Robertson
19. Skelton
20. Dempsey
21. Frisby
22. Lance
23. Koroibete

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I've got McMahon and big Taqele in my squad for the French test, and Hooper in the stands.

French test squad
1. Slipper
2. Latu
3. Smith
4. Carter
5. Douglas
6. Mumm
7. Pocock
8. McMahon
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Naivalu
12. Godwin
13. Morahan
14. Naiyaravoro
15. Kellaway
16. Ready
17. Ryan
18. Robertson
19. Skelton
20. Dempsey
21. Frisby
22. Lance
23. Koroibete

I don't like Morahan at 13, but that team is close to what I would pick and for similar reasons.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sefa would play 13 in that line up. Spent a lot of time there for Box Hill and the Rising, and a little bit of time there for the Rebels.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I know that was said in jest however a lot really think that TN could play in the backrow right now. A lot who also think league forwards can transition quickly.

takes more than size.

Timani had experience at 6 and 8.
He is practised at rucks and mauls, lineouts, scrums. None of which TN is.

I think you will find that when Naiyaravoro plays for the Tahs next year he will play at wing but will be used as a battering ram around the rucks and in midfield In his games for the Rams in NRC 1 he absolutely terrorised opposition midfields and I suspect he could do that at Wallaby level too now he is back on the radar.

Its a different sort of winger than most, but very effective. Against the Barbarians, the South Africans were reduced to moving their 6 out to mark him because he made huge metres every time he got the ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Carter is one of a long list of players who are good at super rugby and failed to make the step up.

He has had plenty of chances and not impressed. Simmons at test level provides more.

Speight is another example of not stepping up and is very underwhelming at test level yet very good at super rugby level.

If Carter did get another test I would love it if he provided physicality like Coleman and Arnold because then he could replace Simmons and the team is stronger.

1. IIRC Sam was adjudged to be MOTM in his very first test match, and polled well in at least three tests early on.

2. Sam unfortunately will never imo provide the physicality of Coleman or Arnold, but is quite capable of, and arguably already has, showing greater physicality than Rob S. There is quite a gap between Simmons and Coleman/Arnold. I would suggest he has indeed raised his physicality in his recent NRC games and by reports also for the Baa Baas in their current round of games. It is his physicality with ball in hand that has impressed me in these latest outings. Additionally, I don't think he suffers in comparison with Simmons in any other aspects of play.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I reckon Simmons went pretty well the other night. He is trying to impose himself physically more than previously, most likely as requested by Cheika.

Simmons and Arnold to start with Douglas on the bench. Also, Timani should start at 8 to add beef in those tight exchanges with no Coleman.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Arnold needs the work.
Plus Simmons to start.
I'd sub Hooper for mcmahon.
Swap fly halves.
DHP to 15.
Bring in a winger.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
French test squad
1. Slipper
2. Latu
3. Smith
4. Carter
5. Douglas
6. Mumm
7. Pocock
8. McMahon

Timani needs more game time to keep developing, not less. I also don't see the point in a double 7 if both those 7's isn't Poey or Hoops. Eat my foot if Douglas plays.

I expect the forward pack will look something like this:

1. AAA
2. Moore (possibly Latu, though i doubt it)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Arnold
6. Mumm
7. McMahon
8. Timani

Should still be a strong pack, he will want to win this match and keep momentum moving. Key players will be rested however.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know that was said in jest however a lot really think that TN could play in the backrow right now. A lot who also think league forwards can transition quickly.

takes more than size.

Timani had experience at 6 and 8.
He is practised at rucks and mauls, lineouts, scrums. None of which TN is.

Backrowers change direction a lot and quickly.
TN does not do so at all quickly.
Cheika really does back his original assessments: signed him for the tahs so he must be good enough for the wallabies
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom