• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't doubt that @The Coach.

My observation was more related to those from Wicks and Beasts who make it to the NRC team. They would probably get along in that environment with zero issue at the player to player level then.

Different story back down in clubland when two tribes go to war. All bets are off then.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Any1 at the game? Any standout performances in 2's and 3's? Pretty impressed with Windon compliments horwitz nicely and finally a goal kicker!! Think 13 Ada looked pretty dangerous as well. What a charge from Toa!!!

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The threes and fours had poor days with the ball in hand. Once they have this fixed they should both go on to have fine seasons. Half of thirds appeared in twos and under the circumstances twos did well to hang on for a win, helped by most unfortunate kicking from easts.
In all three games it was Wicks poor execution rather than Easts fine play that got the results.
At one stage, Wicks twos would have given away two strings of penalties which allowed Easts a try and almost immediately another shot at one.
I had expected a bit more from two's backs and they seemed disjointed.
10 and 15 have to inject a bit more.

IMO Players to watch in the lower grades
Bannon - in lose play. Kasperack's tackling and breakdown work, Harrod's work rate.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Any1 at the game? Any standout performances in 2's and 3's? Pretty impressed with Windon compliments horwitz nicely and finally a goal kicker!! Think 13 Ada looked pretty dangerous as well. What a charge from Toa!!!

I reliable goalkicker plus a reliable scrum, thought all our christmases had come at once.....

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't think Matt MacKay is a first grader!

That applies to a lot of people playing first grade , yet they are there.

Mackay has bulked up a bit and is still very quick ,but needs a good coach to change some of his playing style. He could be a very good first grade player.

How would you rate the back three on the scrum for Wicks on Saturdays performance.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
That applies to a lot of people playing first grade , yet they are there.

Mackay has bulked up a bit and is still very quick ,but needs a good coach to change some of his playing style. He could be a very good first grade player.

How would you rate the back three on the scrum for Wicks on Saturdays performance.

I only watched the game on TV and was interested to see how Figg went as I'd not really noticed him at Norths and was surprised to see him handed the captaincy ahead of Tim Wright. I thought he had a solid game without doing anything outstanding. Baldwin was strong with the ball and in defence, but I've always had a concern with his work rate and the same applied on Saturday. The other back row spot was a revolving door with Bennett getting injured early but I was impressed with Alex Harrod. He's apparently played a lot of 1st grade down in Canberra (best forward award at Wests last year and has played 7s for the Brumbies I think) and considering he'd played a full 2nds game I thought his work rate was very good. He obviously knows his way round a rugby field and I reckon he'll be in 1sts before too long.

Mackay played in the centres (3rd grade?) against Penrith last year and IMO he's at his best out wide with room to move. Not sure he'll get that in 1st grade very often.

HeadTape

Bob McCowan (2)
I only watched the game on TV and was interested to see how Figg went as I'd not really noticed him at Norths and was surprised to see him handed the captaincy ahead of Tim Wright. I thought he had a solid game without doing anything outstanding. Baldwin was strong with the ball and in defence, but I've always had a concern with his work rate and the same applied on Saturday. The other back row spot was a revolving door with Bennett getting injured early but I was impressed with Alex Harrod. He's apparently played a lot of 1st grade down in Canberra (best forward award at Wests last year and has played 7s for the Brumbies I think) and considering he'd played a full 2nds game I thought his work rate was very good. He obviously knows his way round a rugby field and I reckon he'll be in 1sts before too long.

Mackay played in the centres (3rd grade?) against Penrith last year and IMO he's at his best out wide with room to move. Not sure he'll get that in 1st grade very often.

Seen a bit of Harrod down here, very talented ball player and extremely smart around the ground, I just wonder if he's 5 or 10 kgs too light at the moment. Coming on at 6 probably isn't his best position, thought he did reasonably well though.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Seen a bit of Harrod down here, very talented ball player and extremely smart around the ground, I just wonder if he's 5 or 10 kgs too light at the moment. Coming on at 6 probably isn't his best position, thought he did reasonably well though.

what is his normal or preferred position?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)

A fair summation .

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Another magic day at coogee with the ground looking stunning.
Lower grades all won by wicks but compliments to Norths defence . They came up hard all afternoon but were just short on puff in the final minutes in each grade.
First grade no different. Norths got the better of the breakdown for most of the game and I thought wicks looked better here after tom Connor came on but it may also have been Norths tiring that helped.
Penalties and tries were exchanged and wicks did not really look comfortable in the first half though they led by a point.
Second half saw Norths take an early lead with a good try and finally wicks snapped into gear and started to find space with some excellent back line play.
With five minutes to go wicks took the lead by 2 and immediately went on another attacking raid . The nine then made a break to score a fourty metre try and give a nine point lead.
Norths were not done and managed to score a well worked try in the corner after the bell. The 29-25 scoreline was a good result for wicks in a game which could have gone either way.
Wicks seemed a bit tentertive at times but looked good when they had their tails up. The scrum held but Norths had them a couple of times when wicks lost concentration.
15 , 6 and 8 for Norths were very good and looked dangerous all day.
For wicks 8 had a couple of important turnovers , the wings did well as did 4and 5 and of course the 9 with his try.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Has Baldwin been dropped for Connor or has injury ruled him out?

With Gordon into Penrith we should be sitting pretty after 4 rounds, a welcome return after the last few years.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Has Baldwin been dropped for Connor or has injury ruled him out?

With Gordon into Penrith we should be sitting pretty after 4 rounds, a welcome return after the last few years.

Yes, but then we meet Eastwood at TGMilner.
Can't remember the last time we won there!

Status
Not open for further replies.