• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Game 2 Kiwis v Frogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
France coach Marc Lievremont has ignored cautions against tampering with a winning combination by making three changes to his starting line-up for Saturday's second rugby Test against New Zealand.

Lievremont on Wednesday said he hoped the unexpected changes would "freshen up" the side which beat the All Blacks 27-22 in the first game of the two-Test series in Dunedin last Saturday.

That was France's first Test win in New Zealand since 1994.

Rugged loose-forward Sebastien Chabal has been promoted from the bench to the starting 15 in place of Pascal Pape in one of two changes to the French pack.

Two members of the Perpignan team which won the final of French domestic championship, and who were unavailable for the first Test because of their late arrival in New Zealand, also join the run-on side.

Maxime Mermoz takes over at centre from Mathieu Bastareaud while prop Nicholas Mas has been named at tighthead in place of Sylvain Marconnet.

Bastareaud is included on the reserves bench while Pape and Marconnet have been omitted from the squad.

Back-rowers Remy Martin and Damien Chouly have also been named among the French reserves.

On Tuesday, New Zealand announced four changes to the side which lost the first Test at Carisbrook.

Centre Conrad Smith and flanker Jerome Kaino returned to the All Blacks line-up after injury while hooker Keven Mealamu and flanker Tanerau Latimer replaced injured players.

France's win in Dunedin was its second in successive matches against the All Blacks, after their 20-18 win in Cardiff in the quarter-finals of the 2007 World Cup.

France: Maxime Medard, Vincent Clerc, Maxime Mermoz, Damien Traille, Cedric Heymans, Francois Trinh-Duc, Julien Dupuy, Louis Picamoles, Fulgence Ouedraogo, Thierry Dusautoir (capt), Romain Millo-Chluski, Sebastien Chabal, Nicolas Mas, William Servat, Fabien Barcella. Reserves: Dimitri Szarzewski, Thomas Domingo, Remy Martin, Damien Chouly, Dimitri Yachvili, Yannick Jauzion, Mathieu Bastareaud.

Better team than last week, the French are a very tough team to beat when they've got thier tails up this will be the best game of the 3 match triple header on saturday night.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The All Blacks have made four changes to their starting lineup in a bid to save the series in the second Test against France here Saturday.

Outside centre Isaia Toeava and number eight Liam Messam have been dropped from the starting side named Tuesday after France scored a surprise 27-22 win over the All Blacks in the first Test in Dunedin last Saturday.

Toeava has been relegated to the reserves bench due to the return of Conrad Smith from a hamstring strain.

Messam has been dropped from the 22-man team altogether with blindside flanker Kieran Read moving to number eight to make way for Jerome Kaino, who is returning from a knee injury.

"The return of Jerome and Conrad from injury will be a boost for the guys," coach Graham Henry said.

"The team was disappointed with the way they played in last weekend's loss to France and are looking forward to making big improvements this week."

Reserve openside flanker Tanerau Latimer has been promoted to the starting lineup after Adam Thomson broke a bone in his hand in Dunedin.

Reserve hooker Keven Mealamu also moves into the starting side after Andrew Hore damaged his rib cartilage in the first Test.

Waikato Chiefs hooker Aled de Malmanche and Canterbury Crusaders flanker George Whitelock have been called into the All Blacks' reserves bench.

The team is:
1. Tony Woodcock
2. Keven Mealamu
3. Neemia Tialata
4. Brad Thorn
5. Isaac Ross
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Kieran Read
9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Stephen Donald
11. Josevata Rokocoko
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Mils Muliaina captain

Reserves:
16. Aled de Malmanche
17. John Afoa
18. Bryn Evans
19. George Whitelock
20. Piri Weepu
21. Luke McAlister
22. Isaia Toeava

A couple of changes some postional some forced by injury & some by form, tough game for the AB's they rarely lose 2 in a row but I think they'll be pushed the full 80.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
No mention in the article of Adam Thomson. He looks the goods at Super level and got a black jumper last year; is the step up to the ABs too much for him?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Lindommer said:
No mention in the article of Adam Thomson. He looks the goods at Super level and got a black jumper last year; is the step up to the ABs too much for him?

i read he broke a hand in the last match and is out a number of weeks. and i can't say a lot of kiwis would give you a positive rating of the shaggy one. at least not as a 7. they spend whole threads whinging about him.

maybe he can make it as a 6 or 8 though. pretty versatile fella if you ask me. but some might say he's good at many things (ball running, lineouts, pilfers) but a master at none.

F

formeropenside

I think Thomson would make a good 6, and maybe could get away with playing at 7 against the Saffas, but he's not really an international 7.

While he's a lineout option, he's not the ball runner that some of the other 6 options like Masoe are.

Then again, he wont be the worst player to look good at Super rugby level, or even in soft tests (ie the usual NH touring side) but unable to step up in a Bledisloe match or RWC finals.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thomson can point a finger at Henry and co for playing him out of position. If he was the best 6 going it should have been Latimer 7 Thommo 6 Messam 8. TBH I thought that is what would happen this weekend. In a young team wiyth few combinations I would have thought the Chiefs duo would have been a sound selection, but turns out it's more important to have Reid in the squad no matter what. I have digressed...
Back to Thomson, 6 that does a 6's job and also steals the odd ball is great. A 6 doing that when there is no 7 thieving fulltime is a pointless entity. Add to that he's too lean for the physical games, I think he might do alright against say... Nope, can't come up with anyone that he would be useful against. S14 level excellence. Test level mediocrity. Has happened before, will happen again.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Will be shocked if NZ don't back up with a win after last week's result.

For a team that looked leaderless, had a poor game, and playing against a French team that were on fire, they still kept a reasonable account of themselves.

Nonu to come back with a big game.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kiwis get up in a close one but the Frogs take home the series trophy for the 1st time ever I think.

I think the weather played a big part, the Frogs looked dangerous when they went wide but the game was won at the breakdown for the Kiwis.

I think the Wallabies will have to go up about three gears next saturday especially if it's a dry track.

MOTM- Brad Thorn

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Latimer was awesome - the future I reckon. Reid was superb at 8, proved me wrong, Ksino was the glue. Mealamu had a huge game, Thorn and Ross were a great combo - the latter called all the lineouts bar the last 20 I think when Evans came on and didn't call to himself. Cowan and Weepu had good games, Weepu as the impact sub that really made a difference. Donald was mediocre and managed to repeat his kick out on the full from kickoff. No KFC for him.
Luke McAlistair again had a case of the almosts. Nonu was solid, Smith showed how much we miss him, Jane made a couple of defensive booboos and Mils was utter Class again, although both those last two would be gutted to see themselves beaten by Heymans who scored the try of the game.
Time for Rokocoko to be left out. Masaga to start vs Italy for sure. Tialata is rubbish although he played a better game around the park he still allowed the ref to ping him at scrum time. Afoa to start next. Oh yeah and Toeava got on but went missing.

C

chriscullen

Heymans try was one of the best I have seen in a long time. Im sure Rokocoko will be given a rest this weekend, wouldnt surprise me if he never made it back if he does get dropped,has definitely lost some mojo and pace.
I would like to see Afoa and McAlistair start also. I think Leonard will take over halfback duties this weekend.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
chriscullen said:
Heymans try was one of the best I have in a long time. Im sure Rokocoko will be given a rest this weekend, wouldnt surprise me if he never made it back if he does get dropped,has definitely lost some mojo and pace.
I would like to see Afoa and McAlistair start also. I think Leonard will take over halfback duties this weekend.

Awesome try. Fullback timed the pass perfectly. Reckon that fullback is also the goods. Big test coming up for the Wallabies this weekend.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Watch this test but to be honest, the All Blacks dont look like having that killer instict they had in the past. Pretty sure they have the players but there is seriously something wrong with them. I mean Heymans try look way to easy by their standards and someone would have smack him in the past. Maybe they are in desperate need of Carter, dont think McCaw is the same player. He look out of touch in the S14 but then it aint the Black jersey.

I'll never write them off and have big respect for them but they usually look sharp at the start of the season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One things that has really impressed with this French team is their soft passes and the running from depth.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
PaarlBok said:
Watch this test but to be honest, the All Blacks dont look like having that killer instict they had in the past. Pretty sure they have the players but there is seriously something wrong with them. I mean Heymans try look way to easy by their standards and someone would have smack him in the past. Maybe they are in desperate need of Carter, dont think McCaw is the same player. He look out of touch in the S14 but then it aint the Black jersey.

I'll never write them off and have big respect for them but they usually look sharp at the start of the season.
Boet that try was down to Jane who is usually a fullback not trusting the inside man on defence. Doubt you will see a try like this against the AB's for while - hope not anyway! Heymans is a classy player. He deserved the try and my mates and I applauded the score.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Gave up watching with 30 minutes to go. Jonker's refereeing is absurd. Honest to god, I don't think I saw a single instance where an All Black tackler released and rolled away from the tackled French player. That was when they weren't diving off their feet and sealing off their own ruck ball. It mystifies me the Kiwis are able to get away with such blatant cheating.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
naza said:
Gave up watching with 30 minutes to go. Jonker's refereeing is absurd. Honest to god, I don't think I saw a single instance where an All Black tackler released and rolled away from the tackled French player. That was when they weren't diving off their feet and sealing off their own ruck ball. It mystifies me the Kiwis are able to get away with such blatant cheating.
Poor misguided soul, be mystified no longer. You're seeing good triumph over evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.