• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Game 2 Kiwis v Frogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
PaarlBok said:
and saturday the French will cheat against the Wallabies. Cheats, cheats, cheats. :lmao:

Nope. Australia and France are the true guardians of running rugby. I'd suggest all Kiwis, Saffers and NH types take copious notes.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
naza said:
PaarlBok said:
and saturday the French will cheat against the Wallabies. Cheats, cheats, cheats. :lmao:

Nope. Australia and France are the true guardians of running rugby. I'd suggest all Kiwis, Saffers and NH types take copious notes.
I'll bookmark this one. Allez France! 8)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
naza said:
PaarlBok said:

I'll bookmark this one. Allez France! 8)

Best you register for a Frog rugby website :angryfire:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hey Biff the French teach us wine making and rugby. One day when you visit I'll take you to the French Hugenots graveyards in Paarl. You'll find all the Boere there. We wont forget that, never.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This guy should be punished big time. Let alone the wasted kiwi tax payer money on the investigation he should be suspended by the FFR (or whoever they are).

New Zealand officials reacted with outrage Friday after French rugby player Mathieu Bastareaud admitted he had lied in claiming he had been attacked by thugs in a Wellington street.

Police have been investigating claims by Bastareaux he was assaulted when he was returning to the team hotel after going out with team mates after his team's Test loss to the All Blacks on Saturday night.

On Thursday, in a statement on his French rugby club's website, he admitted he had made the story up after a drunken fall in his hotel room, cutting his face on a table.

“I was ashamed and panicked and I thought I would be sent packing by the team management,'' he said.

Wellington mayor Kerry Prendergast said she was angry about the damage news of the alleged assault had done to the city's reputation.

“This has always had the potential of damaging our reputation not only nationally but internationally, particularly ahead of hosting the Rugby World Cup (in 2011),'' Predergast said.

“I'm outraged - I'm sure all New Zealanders are,'' she told Radio New Zealand.

The 20-year-old player said in his statement he believed he had to tell the truth following the wide media coverage the alleged assault had received.

But Wellington area police commander Pete Cowan said the player had been forced to retract his story after results of the police investigation were Thursday given to the French Rugby Federation.

“We outlined our findings which showed Mr Bastereaud's allegations were pure fabrication and suggested Mr Bastaraud reconsider his position,'' Cowan said.

“Mr Bastareaud has not come out overnight and apologised out of the goodness of his heart.''

The police investigations found the player had entered the team hotel on Sunday morning uninjured and had entered his room 25 minutes later.

“Now what happened in that 25 minutes is open to a lot of speculation. Now I'm not in a position to tell you. All I can tell you is Mr Bastareaud was not assaulted outside the hotel by four or five thugs.''

New Zealand Rugby Union chief executive Steve Tew said the union shared some of the outrage felt by Wellington's mayor.

Asked about claims other members of the French team must have known Bastareaud was lying, Tew said any further investigation was up to the French Rugby Federation.

“I think it's now up to the French federation to answer those questions and perhaps even to conduct a bit more of an investigation themselves.''

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Geez - that's weak for him to do that and then make a retraction from home.

But give him points for coming clean.

He needs some kind of sanction from the FFR but sometimes French sporting bodies march to the beat of a different drummer.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Max Guazzini, the owner of Stade Francais, also issued a statement saying it was a youthful misadventure.

"It was simply jolly japes by a youngster," said Guazzini in a statement.

"He had too much to drink, came back to his hotel and fell over the table in his room. He has now gone on holiday to the French West Indies."
Exile to the French West Indies, sounds terrible.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
Geez - that's weak for him to do that and then make a retraction from home.

But give him points for coming clean.

He needs some kind of sanction from the FFR but sometimes French sporting bodies march to the beat of a different drummer.

I wonder if the security camera footage of him arriving at the hotel unscathed played a part in that?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Pah! C’est sans intérêt. Exubérance juvénile. D’autre part, votre M. Tuqiri est une honte!

Status
Not open for further replies.