• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Genia to Bath?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muttonbird

A new rumour has surfaced about Will Genia signing with Bath.

This after the Australian talisman captain, Ben Mowen, has confirmed a move to France at the end of 2014. I don't imagine Will Genia will sign with Bath but someone has leaked this information, probably to heat up negotiations. Indeed there seems to be a trend of Australian players conducting their contract negotiations in public in order to get the most out of the ARU.

Player (and agent) power has been an issue in Aussie rugby for years. Is this another example of what is holding the Wallabies back?

M

Muttonbird

So was Mowen.....

Not that I believe this story...

That's right. Contracts mean nothing. I don't think Genia to Bath will happen either but some agent has released this information, for some reason.

T

TOCC

Yes he did, because he was contracted with the Brumbies....

Brumbies aren't the ARU, he had a contract with the Brumbies but not he ARU..

Provincial contracts aren't ratified unless they player also signs with the ARU.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies aren't the ARU, he had a contract with the Brumbies but not he ARU..

Provincial contracts aren't ratified unless they player also signs with the ARU.

I think you just contradicted yourself....... :p

T

TOCC

I think you're getting confused..

Players sign with provincial team before they sign with the ARU, the length of the provincial and ARU contracts don't always match up...

Its really quite simple Genia has signed a ARU contract for 2015, Mowen didn't.

T

Train Without a Station

Didn't Genia only sign a new contract last season?

Slim, a number of players have had provincial contracts that covered different periods to their ARU contract. The only requirement as they have both to begin with.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apologies......... you are correct..........

It turns out Mowen signed a contract with the Brumbies on the proviso a top up from the ARU was forthcoming.........

T

Train Without a Station

This thread is ridiculous. Based on a "rumour". Where has this rumour come from? A little fucking birdy? Has any publication run this supposed rumour?

T

Train Without a Station

Seems pretty dubious. The big money offers haven't been too forthcoming from the English clubs, but rather the French ones for starters.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Why would Genia move to a middle of the table English team which, as it stands, won't be competing in European competition for the next 4 years? If this rumour was Toulon/Clermont/Toulouse I could maybe believe they've made an approach but don't see any legs in this one.

Also in the English league they have a 4.5M GBP salary cap, you're allowed one player outside this but they have to play a year under the salary cap. Not sure Genia would fancy a year on average wages before he can get outside the salary cap.

M

Muttonbird

I did say it was a rumour. I don't think it is likely either but player agents are a crafty lot and they like to play games in the public domain if they are not ruled over with an iron fist by parent unions.

Status
Not open for further replies.