• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Genia Weighs In On Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

As subtext, we need to remember that there were numerous Reds players that thought Quade was not well handled/treated by Deans in both RWC 2011 and via their Wallaby-related interactions last year. There were also Reds players that did not think Quade's 'toxic' outbursts were totally wrong, just naive and ill-considered in their public expression.

Maybe, but who? Not one single player (including the Reds) agreed with QC (Quade Cooper)'s outburst last year. Not to the public, anyway.

The result was that regardless of what personal opinion the players had, QC (Quade Cooper) was left isolated like a shag on a rock.

Not sure what the subtext has to do with the topic.

D

daz

I have no issue at all with Genia shilling for his mate and long time playing partner. Of course he is more comfortable with QC (Quade Cooper). Is this news?

The reality is that Deans will select the team and with the short prep time available, he will more than likely take on board combinations that are already working. Both QC (Quade Cooper) and Genia are recent starting Wallabies so it is not like Genia is plugging for a newbie.

Having said that, it's not like Genia has never played a game without QC (Quade Cooper). He will play with whoever gets the 10 jumper.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
There's nothing to say that having Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and giving them a chance to establish a strong partnership with Genia won't create a better combination.

No one is trying to argue that if we pick someone other than Cooper at 10 then we shouldn't pick Genia at 9 and pick that person's regular halfback instead.

Yeah of course, I'm not saying that either. Just because there is a combination though shouldn't be the only reason for selection, and should only really be the deciding factor if there is nothing else to split them.

Combinations have been a big part of Australia's halves for a while now though, and the last pair that really shone playing for the Wallabies might have been Farr-Jones/Lynagh. There have probably been more since (when Gits was at the Force or Burgess was picked)

Combination obviously helps, like in your example USARugger with the centres (like Horan and Little) but Genia should prepare himself mentally that he might have to play with someone other than Quade

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I reckon players ought to be cautious about shilling for a mate as opposed to defending them if their ability or selectability is questioned.
'So Will, do you think Quade is good enough to play 10 in Tests this year, given his alleged defensive frailties?' - answer should be 'Sure, he's a good player, and I am confident playing with him. He's made some cracking tackles this year'.

As opposed to making it potentially sound like he might be less happy with another at 10, which would be a tad awkward, if you were that 10!!

But yeah, it's a bit of a nothing story, really.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
There's nothing to say that having Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and giving them a chance to establish a strong partnership with Genia won't create a better combination.

Knowing how volatile KB (Kurtley Beale) is with a belly of booze, I can understand Genia's hesitancy. Last thing you want after winning the Lions series is cop a stray knuckle sandwich!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If I was Robbie Deans, all this would be doing is making me annoyed at Genia. He's clearly trying to promote his buddy for selection. It's pretty transparent.

I don't really hold much faith in picking combinations. You should pick who you think are your best players. The Wallabies play almost as many games together each year as a Super Rugby side. It's rare that the best players that form combinations on the field (9 & 10, 12 & 13, 11,14,15 etc.) will be playing together in Super Rugby. We should be working to build combinations for the Wallabies that can develop over time.

Do you know the context of the interview?

He was probably asked 'who do you feel the most comfortable playing beside as a 10'. It is a pretty obvious and innocuous answer if you ask me.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Genia is likely to play with either Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) in the first Lions test. Unless my memory is failing I suspect that combination will go into that game with only 3-4 games under their belt together.

Look at the best combinations we have had in the last 20 years:

Gregan/larkham
Horan/little
Horan/Herbert
Giteau/mortlock

They have all played at the same club.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Genia is likely to play with either Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) in the first Lions test. Unless my memory is failing I suspect that combination will go into that game with only 3-4 games under their belt together.

Look at the best combinations we have had in the last 20 years:

Gregan/larkham
Horan/little
Horan/Herbert
Giteau/mortlock

They have all played at the same club.

That may be true, but if you picked the best 9, 10, 12 and 13 of the last 20 years for the Wallabies you'd pick Gregan, Larkham, Horan and Mortlock. I think they are the major factors in making those combinations excellent.

Gregan and Larkham playing Super Rugby together was a major factor in why their team was so strong for several years and won the title in 2004.

D

daz

Knowing how volatile KB (Kurtley Beale) is with a belly of booze, I can understand Genia's hesitancy. Last thing you want after winning the Lions series is cop a stray knuckle sandwich!

If we win the Lions series, I couldn't care less if they used the trophy to knock each other out in the showers post game.

BTW, Sydney, game 3, potential decider, I'll have a belly full of booze as well!

;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we win the Lions series, I couldn't care less if they used the trophy to knock each other out in the showers post game.

BTW, Sydney, game 3, potential decider, I'll have a belly full of booze as well!

;)

The 2001 Lions test in Sydney is one of the only nights in my life where I have memory blanks from various points during the night.

There was a lot of celebrating.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe, but who? Not one single player (including the Reds) agreed with QC (Quade Cooper)'s outburst last year. Not to the public, anyway.

The result was that regardless of what personal opinion the players had, QC (Quade Cooper) was left isolated like a shag on a rock.

Purely that it could be so that Genia feels a high degree of personal as well as professional loyalty to Quade. This may have intensified in that since RWC 2011 Quade has received a barrage of all manner of criticism and, lately, widespread speculation that RD may not pick him for the BIL in any form. Genia's comments may be an indirect, PC way of 'sticking up' for Quade in this context.

As I mentioned in my other post here, it may also be that Genia - rightly or wrongly - sincerely believes that he and Quade would deliver the most effective 9/10 combo for the BIL Tests given that there's zero circumstances from early June to June 22 to test any other ones out in real game conditions.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
As I mentioned in my other post here, it may also be that Genia - rightly or wrongly - sincerely believes that he and Quade would deliver the most effective 9/10 combo for the BIL Tests given that there's zero circumstances from early June to June 22 to test any other ones out in real game conditions.
Form displayed for the Wallabies for the past few years would suggest that Genia is wrong.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Meh. "Hey Will, can you tell us about playing with Quade?" Blah, blah, blah.

But I do agree with Cyclo that players need to be careful. With the way their words -- spoken probably after a training session and off the cuff -- are so carefully parsed, there is always the risk of misinterpretation. It's not like Genia said, "I wouldn't play with another 10" or "I'm not as good with another 10" or "playing with another 10 would substantially reduce the Wallabies' chance of victory" or anything like that.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
This is the 2nd time Genia has made comments like this. Last time he said something along the lines of 'I wouldn't want to play next to anyone else' which I think is a pretty dumb comment to make given his seniority in the team.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
That may be true, but if you picked the best 9, 10, 12 and 13 of the last 20 years for the Wallabies you'd pick Gregan, Larkham, Horan and Mortlock. I think they are the major factors in making those combinations excellent.

Gregan and Larkham playing Super Rugby together was a major factor in why their team was so strong for several years and won the title in 2004.

No you wouldn't... you would pick Farr Jones and Micheal Lynagh.. just squeaking-in under the 20 year framework. But then - they are arguably the best ever. Nick was a Tah, and Michael was a Red.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
As much as I think Genia over stepped the line a bit, I support anyone who might have some influence on RD's selections speaking out. They couldn't do any worse.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No you wouldn't. you would pick Farr Jones and Micheal Lynagh.. just squeaking-in under the 20 year framework. But then - they are arguably the best ever. Nick was a Tah, and Michael was a Red.

Well, Nick Farr-Jones retired in 1993 so if you look specifically at the last 20 seasons, he hasn't played.

Lynagh retired in 1995 so played some rugby during the last 20 years. When you consider that he debuted in 1984, almost 30 years ago, you realistically have to consider him a player of the last 30 years, not the last 20 years.

I specifically left them out in regards to the discussion of the last 20 years because most of their rugby was played outside it.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

The grape vine assures me that more than a few players, both from the reds and other team, were in agreement with Quades statements about the Wallabies program last year.

It is no secret a chunk of the players are very unhappy with the wallabies program (gameplan, selections, S and C, recovery recourses, facilities etc.) over the last 4 or so years. But as players they have little to no say in this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.