• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Giteau must be in Wallabies World Cup squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Even the most passionate fans of his have acknowledged that he's lost whatever it was that he had, so now it's the intangible "experience" factor that he can add.

Just like John Smit.

Enzedder

Frank Nicholson (4)
Blooming heck - dropped from the squad for the RWC?? That amount of experience could be vital over here in October.

I will say I am happy to see him outside the squad.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Barnes hasn't played 12 since his return to local rugby... His head injuries will likely happen again at international level rugby. He is a risk. Beale hasn't played flyhalf at international level and is best given a roaming fullback brief as he is more dangerous. Giteau is the only utility inside back who is a goal kicker in Australia. He needs to be available as an option. Giteau maybe not at his peak but he still offers more at a Rugby World Cup than most.

Giteau played behind a dominated forwards pack against Samoa, he is hardly solely responsible for the loss

Not a big fan of Gits play, but surely no person is suggesting we lost v Samoa because of Gits. It might not have been his finest hour, but that loss was a collective one, if anything the forwards were responsible - and Samoa, who played at a whole new level IMO.

Re Barnes head injuries, it's not clear that his condition occurs from collisions at all is it? Setting that aside I think Barnes would already have been our inside centre, and is a proven option to Cooper at 10. As it stands I think he will be used sparingly.

J

JohnD

Best of luck to the Wobblies in the shakey Isles - would have preferred to see "Gits" in the RWC but the die has been cast for a 30 man squad without his presence!

R

RuckinGoodStats

Matt Giteau just tweeted

"Thank u ballboys, thank u linesman! That's it..."

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Matt Giteau just tweeted

"Thank u ballboys, thank u linesman! That's it..."

i wonder if he'll finish the season with the 'wicks????
he looked great in the myrtle green

art-matt_giteau-420x0.jpg

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It is always unfortunate when a career comes to an end, but we should not forget the excitement that the new beginning of a younger player's career will bring to the game.

hughkh

Bob McCowan (2)
Or maybe Gits is bluffing and is actually going to rwc but just doesn't want everyone too know just yet? haha!

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yep sounds like it... Thanks for all the great rugby Matt Giteau and enjoy France... and come back a do a season at the Brumbies before you

+1

Sad to think Giteau wont wear the Green and Gold again. He was a great player in the last decade. I suppose it's his own fault for moving to France, he could easily stay here and play himself back into the side next year.

Anyway, this means Beale and probably Barnes are backup options at fly half. We should cope fine if Cooper gets injured.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
I think it's important that we all step back for a moment and recognise Giteau has in years past been the Wallabies best. When he was good, he was amazing, and as others have mentioned he was one of few shining lights through many dark years. He must be thanked as a great servant to the Gold jumper.

It is possible that this longterm responsibility is partly responsible for his wane. Beale, Cooper and O'connor, Genia, Horwill etc can all have a bad game and have some of the slack picked up by those around them. Giteau never had this luxury. Given the circumstances, his individualistic streak is not surprising but is probably a key part of his downbringing now that a real team is coming up. His 'I'm the captain' remark was hugely telling earlier this year, and even his tweeting today pangs a bit of the showman, not waiting for the formal team announcement tomorrow to do things on his terms.

But all in all, I hope he's remembered fondly rather than poorly. He's done a lot for aus rugby and if I saw him walking down the street there's no doubt I would want to shake his hand.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
His 'I'm the captain' remark was hugely telling earlier this year, and even his tweeting today pangs a bit of the showman, not waiting for the formal team announcement tomorrow to do things on his terms.

Spot on. This is the sole reason he won't be in the squad and suggests Robbie is right to leave him out.

It's not always about you Gits.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Spot on. This is the sole reason he won't be in the squad and suggests Robbie is right to leave him out.

It's not always about you Gits.
Really? The sole reason? Drew's been tweeting too, reckon Robbie will leave him out just for that?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Really? The sole reason? Drew's been tweeting too, reckon Robbie will leave him out just for that?

The attitude rather than the tweets. But then I think you probably knew I meant that (or would if you re-read what I'd bolded).

As almost everyone on these boards has said, based on versatility, experience, ability and even form, he's in our top 30 players. As such, there must be another reason why he's not in the squad. I think it is the perception held by the coaches that he has a bad attitude and might bring that to the squad.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyway, Gits should not be treated disrespectfully.
Deans has to choose the squad he feels will bring back Bill. If Gits doesn't figure in that, well fair enough.
Many other people in the know think he should be there. The changing of the guard must come at some point for him, and all long time test players. The timing is a little unfortunate as I am sure he wanted to go out with a bang and on a high.
Gits has been a fantastic servant to Australian rugby, plucked from nowhere during our last golden era and then putting himself front and centre through a leaner period.
At his best he was regarded as the best.
Good luck to him in France and beyond.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
If your off to another country to play Rugby and cant be selected for next year.. Then he shouldnt be selected for the wallabies. and that goes with burgess.

need player who will be there next year,

Status
Not open for further replies.