• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

gits back to the brums

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Giteau quits Force, rejoins Brumbies By Nick Taylor February 21, 2009 Australia fly half Matt Giteau has announced he will quit Western Force at the end of the current Super 14 season to rejoin the Brumbies. Efforts by the Force, club sponsors and supporters to keep the 26-year-old playmaker in Perth have failed, and he confirmed he will be returning to the Brumbies. The move has been one of rugby's worst kept secrets - and the offer to return home was obviously too good to refuse. In an ironic sense of timing, Giteau's announcement comes just a week before the Force take on the Brumbies in Canberra. His departure will leave a massive hole in Force ranks and will have the club on a desperate hunt for a new five-eighth. One option would be to rapidly accelerate teenager James O'Connor into the main pivot role. His contract expires this year but he has an option of an extension. Other players who are negotiating their contracts beyond 2009 may now be considering their future at the club and possible new signings may also be having second thoughts. Giteau moved to Perth on a three-year contract said to be worth about $4.5 million in salary and sponsorship. But his major third-party sponsor, controversial fuel-tech company Firepower, collapsed just one year into the deal leaving him more than $1 million out of pocket. A syndicate led by another major Force sponsor, ET Mining's Ross Graham, put together a $1.6 milion offer, but such a delawould mean Giteau signing for the Force until 2011. The two-year extension was a major stumbling block and Giteau refused the offer late last year. A group of Canberra-based businessman, who are said to have had talks with Giteau's new manager, James Erskine, are believed to have put up a big third-party deal that will take Giteau back to his home city.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Spookie posted on TSF that Mitchell (of the Drew variety) may be following Gits to the Brums.

Nodster, how long till Pocock, Brown and Cross can leave? The Force can't afford to lose any of these players - but I bet plenty of the Aus teams and overseas parties will be interested in them. The Force could be in plenty of trouble if the leaving of Gits has a knock on effect.

Personally, I am still hopeful of Pocock to the Reds. Well, dreaming. Not really hopeful, I guess.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ash said:
Spookie posted on TSF that Mitchell (of the Drew variety) may be following Gits to the Brums.

Nodster, how long till Pocock, Brown and Cross can leave? The Force can't afford to lose any of these players - but I bet plenty of the Aus teams and overseas parties will be interested in them. The Force could be in plenty of trouble if the leaving of Gits has a knock on effect.

Personally, I am still hopeful of Pocock to the Reds. Well, dreaming. Not really hopeful, I guess.

not sure. My list is on another computer.

I think Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) can leave this season. That's a concern. Pocock signed on for 2 more this year I think, as did Shepherd.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What are the contract situations of Lealiifano and To'omua? You would think one of them may head west if Gits is gone- better to be starting for an averae side than on the bench/out of the team in a good side.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
barbarian said:
What are the contract situations of Lealiifano and To'omua? You would think one of them may head west if Gits is gone- better to be starting for an averae side than on the bench/out of the team in a good side.

too true. i hope we nap lealiifano. a talented played fighting his way out of victoria into the s14.
getting noticed around here is hard.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The issue is far beyond the loss of Gits as an on-field presence. It could effect sponsorship, membership and obviously player retention/acquisition.

There best option is probably a marquee player in my mind.

Wilko, Michelak, maybe O'Gara as his career winds down? Craig Gower (probably not). Nick Evans, Aaron Mauger.Butch James.
Who is it Cheika coached up north? Who was their flyhalf?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Force can say bye bye to Drew Mitchell I can't see him hanging around with Gits gone but that doesn't mean he'll be heading to the Brumbies, Wouldn't mind seeing Mitchell back at the Reds honestly.

Daruda & JOC (James O'Connor) are both options at 10 for the Force maybe even Nathan Sharpe can tighten his game up & slot in at 10.

Lealiifano should head west if he can & To'omua should stay put & learn his trade as Giteau usually misses a few games during a season.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
drew might stay. there was that whole story about him and valentine being great mates and having built this whole lifestyle.
basically im not convinced hed move.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Also Christian Warner used to play for the Force, didn't he? Or maybe Dan Parks is sick of the fried Mars bars.

Q. Has Kelly gone OS?

Also, there's Scott Daruda, who might find himself with game time this year. [Edit - as Disco says]

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
drew might stay. there was that whole story about him and valentine being great mates and having built this whole lifestyle.

Your not refering to that queer homo-erotic scene they played on the rugby club are you? I think that was more to do with Valentines day.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not sure if Dan Kelly from Sydney Uni is still here or overseas, if that's who you meant Scarfie. I thought he was still around, though.

There's always Dave Harvey too, I think, if you want to troll through Sydney club ranks.

Really, the Force has no excuse for not grabbing a young 10 in Australia. I'll even help them with a nice list here, starting with the Reds as that's the team they so like to target.
Reds - Cooper, Barnes, Lucas
Tahs - Beale, Norton-Knight, Halangahu
Brumbies - Lealiifano, To'omua

Not sure who of the above are off contract, but at least some surely are. I'd expect that first stringers like Cooper, Barnes, Beale etc are unlikely to leave unless the Force pull off another monetary miracle, but Halangahu or Lealiifano / To'omua are the likely to go surely.

With a few decent flyhalves available in Aus, plus Daruda and JO'C already at the Force, I think that they would be better off still chasing front row marquee signings. The tight 5 for the Force is still woeful. I thought that Ben Castle went OK and was their pick of the tight 5 easily, but he's hardly marquee player status really.

Any word on if Giteau will be playing 10 or 12 at the Brumbies? If he goes to 12 who knows, the Brumbies may hold on to their young flyhalves...still disappointed not to see more of Tyrone Smith this year though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ash said:
I'll even help them with a nice list here, starting with the Reds as that's the team they so like to target. who seem to have had no grasp of the term "renew contract" from 2005 onwards

fixed 8)

Can't blame Gits for anything except chasing the $$$. Having the side in the west has been a magnificent effort to date, but with Firepower's dodgy dealings something had to give. And they're going to have to start winning more consistently, which isn't going to happen until they get decent prop depth in their squad.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
disco said:

Your not refering to that queer homo-erotic scene they played on the rugby club are you? I think that was more to do with Valentines day.

well it was. that is the one and only time i watched that show. just awful stuff.

point being, this proves drew has a lifestyle in perth. he also has a mate that will still be contracted (surely valentine was contracted for more than a year?). this gives him plenty of reasons to stay.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Unbelievably next year will be JOC (James O'Connor)'s third year in S14, so he will have some experience under his belt. As a 10, he is not dissimilar to Gits in his style, although Gits' kicking has improved a lot, and this maybe an area Rabbit needs to work on. Throw in Daruda and at least the Force have the position covered.

It will be interesting to see how the Lealifano/To'omua battle develops at the Brumbies, in terms of which one of them might be tempted to go west.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder why the Brumbies are keen to have Giteau back ? He is an egotistical wanker, even moreso than Tuqiri. He backstabbed John Mitchell and is all about the dollars. He is locker room poison. I suspect its mostly to keep him out of the hands of the Tahs. Look for Giteau to spend the next couple of years buried on the Brumbies bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.