• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
World Rugby meets on 14 November.
I reckon we can expect announcements over the next 10 days or so and certainly before the end of November.
Looking back over what seems like years since World Rugby's meeting in Sydney- but it's really only been weeks and days - we can only be impressed by the tenacity of the Minderoo team.
Western Sydney gets locked in only to have NSW Rugby (Andrew Hore) say "No".
New Zealand team in the mix and it appears that NZ then turns around and says "No" (we like the concept - but not yet).
World Rugby evidently turn around and says you have to change your name - so any agreements up to that time have to have "change clauses" added.
Hawaii comes from nowhere - but are they stayers?
2 teams from Japan - but all seems very quiet on that front?
Will it be 6 teams, 7 teams (with a bye - which could mean the chance of longer visits to exotic places) or 8 teams??
What will be the make-up of the teams and where will they play?
There seemed to be many options still open in the GRR map of the region.
What marque players have already been signed? Which big names? How many of them will be Aussies/Wallabies?
We'll know very soon.......

So glad that the Minderoo team has so much patience and tenacity to MIH despite being stuffed around by experts.
But I'm sure that it was expected, as GRR represents big changes to the staus quo.

Looking forward to the Western Force Awards night tonight.........
My tip for the MVP? Ian Prior for his efforts in his 1st year as Captain.
(The Sea of Blue saw it that way too. Congratulations Ian Prior.)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Things are imminent:

Rugby’s governing body, the World Rugby Council, is considering final approval for the competition in London tonight.
If approval is forthcoming, media is advised that Andrew Forrest will unveil comprehensive details including teams, new laws and marquee players via a broadcast quality Electronic Media Release distributed after 9am AWST tomorrow, November 15.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
GRR has received conditional approval from WR (World Rugby). They just need to have the participating Unions sign off which you'd have to imagine is more of a formality at this point.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Is Twiggy setting up decent pathways from junior/club sides in Perth into this new comp?

I know they have the RugbyRoos program which from my understanding is designed to be a mass participation program. From there I imagine they would be looking to funnel interest into the local club scene and up the the pyramid into the Force Academy set up.

From much earlier stuff this seems to be the model all the respective Unions were set to follow.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I know they have the RugbyRoos program which from my understanding is designed to be a mass participation program. From there I imagine they would be looking to funnel interest into the local club scene and up the the pyramid into the Force Academy set up.

From much earlier stuff this seems to be the model all the respective Unions were set to follow.
Proper foundations would be a relative advantage in a straight shoot out between traditional Australia rugby and a new competition.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A revolutionary sports and entertainment concept is set to sweep the Asia Pacific region with Andrew Forrest’s new-look elite-rugby competition receiving a critical tick of approval.
The World Rugby Council conditionally sanctioned a bold new sporting brand, Global Rapid Rugby, overnight. The 2019 season would kick-off in late February with teams competing for an AUD$1 million first prize.
Once official approval is granted by all participating playing unions, a new era in sports and entertainment will begin.
Rapid Rugby details that can now be unveiled include…
  • Eight teams across the Asia Pacific
  • 14 rounds, 56 games plus four finals
  • Up to 20 of the world’s best players as competition marquees
  • A fast-paced, 70-minute total game time
  • New and revised laws to increase ball in play time towards 55%
  • A dynamic, viewer-friendly 90-minute total broadcast product
  • Exciting stadium entertainment at every game, everywhere
Global Rapid Rugby founder Andrew Forrest AO described the World Rugby Council decision as an historic moment for the sport, all sports fans and the Asia Pacific.
“It has not been a simple road,” he said while commending World Rugby for supporting his vision in a Social Media video announcing the proposed look and feel of Rapid Rugby in 2019.
“I’d like to thank everyone that has been bold and brave enough to support this brand-new competition. Like all sports, rugby needs to evolve. The modern sports public is spoilt for choice and demands easily digestible, fast-paced action.”
The potential for rugby to flourish in Asia and for the sport to benefit local communities is central to Rapid Rugby’s mission, according to Forrest.
“There’s something about rugby which builds communities, bands people together, gives joy across communities. I want to bring that into the Indo Asia Pacific region.”
World Rugby sanction
A statement issued by World Rugby after its bi-annual full council meeting in Dublin reads:
“Conditional sanctioning was granted for the Global Rapid Rugby tournament subject to approval from participating unions. The competition aims to further rugby’s spread across the Asia-Pacific area, providing high performance competition for emerging nations.”
Governing bodies that oversee six teams set to become part of Rapid Rugby in 2019 have already signed letters of support. Official sanction will now be sought from the Japan Rugby Football Union for a leading Japanese club to join, and further discussions will take place with a private consortium to form an eighth team.
Proposed 2019 teams
  • The first international rugby team from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • A team from Hong Kong representing the Greater Bay Area
  • The Asia Pacific Dragons out of Singapore
  • A top-quality team from Japan
  • The flying Fijians
  • A tough tackling team from Samoa and
  • The Western Force from Perth, Western Australia
Rapid Rugby will be governed by Hong Kong Rugby Union, and Chief Executive Robbie McRobbie said he had no doubt the time was right to provide Asia with a new form of sporting entertainment.
“Rugby is on the rise in Asia and across the Pacific. Record numbers of boys and girls are taking up the game and the potential for further expansion in countries like China and India is truly breathtaking,” he said.
Best of the best
Rapid Rugby officials will now begin signing marquee players from around the world to ensure the standard of competition is elite.
“We have committed to recruiting around 20 of the best 100 players in the world today over the next two seasons,” Forrest explained.
“They will be placed in different teams, depending on the team’s needs in the interests of creating a level field across all teams. We have already started, signing former All Black Jeremy Thrush to the Western Force.
“Beyond that, watch this space is all I’m allowed to say right now. But when I mention we’re targeting the very best available I do mean the very best.”
Rapid by name and nature
A series of trial law variations to make the game even more appealing to fans in the stands and watching on their devices were also approved by World Rugby. And new competition rules include reducing game time from 80 minutes to 2 x 35-minute halves.
Increasing the time the ball is in play is a central platform of the competition. This will be achieved through new laws and competition rules designed to:
  • Increase the risk of kicking for touch, and reduce line-outs
  • Better manage player fatigue through the introduction of rolling substitutions
  • Promote attacking, aggressive, high-scoring rugby
Head of Rugby Matt Hodgson said innovation would always be a cornerstone of Rapid Rugby and the competition would continue to push the boundaries and work closely with World Rugby to come up with new ideas while protecting the integrity of 15-a-side rugby union.
“The rules I’m most excited about are the kicking laws. No longer will teams be able to kick out on the full from their own 22, we’ll see more attacking play there and also more counter-attack as teams choose to kick down the middle of the field,” he said.
“It’s about more rugby for the fans, and more rugby for the players.”
Elite sport meets entertainment
The match day and overall engagement element of Rapid Rugby, that proved so popular in a trial series hosted by the Western Force in Perth this year, will continue in 2019 and beyond.
A mantra to provide an ‘every venue, every match for everyone’ spectator experience, together with a focus on family, means Rapid Rugby will provide something for everyone - from fireworks to traditional culture, or a Power Try to a Cash Kick.
“I think Rapid Rugby is the perfect name for this competition,” Forrest said.
“It speaks to what we will deliver - a dynamic sports and entertainment concept focused on the fastest growing region in the world. It will be rapid alright, and global, because I want to help spread the appeal of the sport to non-traditional markets and sports and entertainment lovers everywhere.”

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A revolutionary sports and entertainment concept is set to sweep the Asia Pacific region with Andrew Forrest’s new-look elite-rugby competition receiving a critical tick of approval.
The World Rugby Council conditionally sanctioned a bold new sporting brand, Global Rapid Rugby, overnight. The 2019 season would kick-off in late February with teams competing for an AUD$1 million first prize.
Once official approval is granted by all participating playing unions, a new era in sports and entertainment will begin.
Rapid Rugby details that can now be unveiled include…
  • Eight teams across the Asia Pacific
  • 14 rounds, 56 games plus four finals
  • Up to 20 of the world’s best players as competition marquees
  • A fast-paced, 70-minute total game time
  • New and revised laws to increase ball in play time towards 55%
  • A dynamic, viewer-friendly 90-minute total broadcast product
  • Exciting stadium entertainment at every game, everywhere
Global Rapid Rugby founder Andrew Forrest AO described the World Rugby Council decision as an historic moment for the sport, all sports fans and the Asia Pacific.
“It has not been a simple road,” he said while commending World Rugby for supporting his vision in a Social Media video announcing the proposed look and feel of Rapid Rugby in 2019.
“I’d like to thank everyone that has been bold and brave enough to support this brand-new competition. Like all sports, rugby needs to evolve. The modern sports public is spoilt for choice and demands easily digestible, fast-paced action.”
The potential for rugby to flourish in Asia and for the sport to benefit local communities is central to Rapid Rugby’s mission, according to Forrest.
“There’s something about rugby which builds communities, bands people together, gives joy across communities. I want to bring that into the Indo Asia Pacific region.”
World Rugby sanction
A statement issued by World Rugby after its bi-annual full council meeting in Dublin reads:
“Conditional sanctioning was granted for the Global Rapid Rugby tournament subject to approval from participating unions. The competition aims to further rugby’s spread across the Asia-Pacific area, providing high performance competition for emerging nations.”
Governing bodies that oversee six teams set to become part of Rapid Rugby in 2019 have already signed letters of support. Official sanction will now be sought from the Japan Rugby Football Union for a leading Japanese club to join, and further discussions will take place with a private consortium to form an eighth team.
Proposed 2019 teams
  • The first international rugby team from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • A team from Hong Kong representing the Greater Bay Area
  • The Asia Pacific Dragons out of Singapore
  • A top-quality team from Japan
  • The flying Fijians
  • A tough tackling team from Samoa and
  • The Western Force from Perth, Western Australia
Rapid Rugby will be governed by Hong Kong Rugby Union, and Chief Executive Robbie McRobbie said he had no doubt the time was right to provide Asia with a new form of sporting entertainment.
“Rugby is on the rise in Asia and across the Pacific. Record numbers of boys and girls are taking up the game and the potential for further expansion in countries like China and India is truly breathtaking,” he said.
Best of the best
Rapid Rugby officials will now begin signing marquee players from around the world to ensure the standard of competition is elite.
“We have committed to recruiting around 20 of the best 100 players in the world today over the next two seasons,” Forrest explained.
“They will be placed in different teams, depending on the team’s needs in the interests of creating a level field across all teams. We have already started, signing former All Black Jeremy Thrush to the Western Force.
“Beyond that, watch this space is all I’m allowed to say right now. But when I mention we’re targeting the very best available I do mean the very best.”
Rapid by name and nature
A series of trial law variations to make the game even more appealing to fans in the stands and watching on their devices were also approved by World Rugby. And new competition rules include reducing game time from 80 minutes to 2 x 35-minute halves.
Increasing the time the ball is in play is a central platform of the competition. This will be achieved through new laws and competition rules designed to:
  • Increase the risk of kicking for touch, and reduce line-outs
  • Better manage player fatigue through the introduction of rolling substitutions
  • Promote attacking, aggressive, high-scoring rugby
Head of Rugby Matt Hodgson said innovation would always be a cornerstone of Rapid Rugby and the competition would continue to push the boundaries and work closely with World Rugby to come up with new ideas while protecting the integrity of 15-a-side rugby union.
“The rules I’m most excited about are the kicking laws. No longer will teams be able to kick out on the full from their own 22, we’ll see more attacking play there and also more counter-attack as teams choose to kick down the middle of the field,” he said.
“It’s about more rugby for the fans, and more rugby for the players.”
Elite sport meets entertainment
The match day and overall engagement element of Rapid Rugby, that proved so popular in a trial series hosted by the Western Force in Perth this year, will continue in 2019 and beyond.
A mantra to provide an ‘every venue, every match for everyone’ spectator experience, together with a focus on family, means Rapid Rugby will provide something for everyone - from fireworks to traditional culture, or a Power Try to a Cash Kick.
“I think Rapid Rugby is the perfect name for this competition,” Forrest said.
“It speaks to what we will deliver - a dynamic sports and entertainment concept focused on the fastest growing region in the world. It will be rapid alright, and global, because I want to help spread the appeal of the sport to non-traditional markets and sports and entertainment lovers everywhere.”

And a not so subtle call out of G.Robinson's usage of Rebel League and serious shade thrown at a number of the Rugby establishment over this way. But praise for Castle.

When I saw the 90 minutes broadcast statement a couple of weeks back I was wondering how'd they manage it with an 80 minute game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I haven't listened to the video so hadn't seen the names. That's exciting.

Anyone else or just those three?

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
And Hong Kong is the competition HQ. Takes a whole shitload of politics out of the equation! The possibility of players that have been left out of the Wallaby squad previously due to not fitting the mould signing up for the chance to more coin close to home is rather exciting as well. Remind me much of the ARL/ Super league war.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Any other details on the law changes as well?

Those in the video are:

2 x 35 minute halves
No kicking the ball directly out from inside the 22
9 Point power try awarded without the conversion
2 point penalty goals
Rolling Subs (10 in total)
Defence back another 5m at scrums
Retain possession with kick from own 40m that bounces out in opposition 22
No marks inside the 22
Reduced time for goal kicks and kick offs
Red carded player can be replaced after 15 mins
Orange card system for match review officials