• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Twiggy and inviting the Chinese to talk at the minster's briefing.

Like wow, wow, wow.

My respect for Twiggy just went south fast and by a long way.

Disappointing. Thought he was way above just being a mouth piece for China

It's many levels above disappointing for me.

I am or was a big nay mega massive supporter of Twiggy in many things. This was not one of his best moments being kind, the cruel would argue he was protecting his mining contracts at the expense of the federal government.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Let the story unfold before getting knickers in a knot.

By some accounts, a whole lot of commercial interests are putting pressure on the Govt to step back from its current hard line demanding an investigation at the moment for fear of losing a very big part of their pie. Also, no or few Euro countries have yet seen the need to join the USA/Aust chorus. Definitely should be a review/investigation at the appropriate time, but maybe, just maybe, timing is all important.

Think Twiggy was probably reflecting a lot of businesses by inviting the Consul-General to the press conference, and all credit to Hunt for allowing him to be present and to speak.

WAZA

Frank Row (1)
Anyone watch the Force V the World15 ?
What are your thoughts ?
I enjoyed the rugby style , much more open running rugby.
Yes, I would watch another game it’s entertaining

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some background on rugby developments in New Zealand

The Rugby Wrap, S 1 Ep 12 with Mike Rogers, CEO Bay of Plenty

June 03, 2020 Mitch Hardy, Heath Tessmann and Mick Colliss

Is NZ's Bay of Plenty one of the world's most innovative rugby clubs?
CEO Mike Rogers talks about their long term deal with rugby in China, their seamless move into Global Rapid Rugby and how they're attracting players.
Plus we discuss a genuinely exciting way to pick the Wallabies team.

WF Prop Chris Heiburg enjoys Tea Time with Tess.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
An interesting possible development for 3 GRR teams with SRAo in hopefully a post-Covid 2022.

New Zealand's Super Rugby plans for 2021, 2022 revealed

Liam Napier - NZ Herald - 1 Oct, 2020

New Zealand Rugby is set to confirm Super Rugby Aotearoa will return in 2021, with its board deciding not to include a sixth team next year.

Despite New Zealand's ongoing stand-off with Rugby Australia over the future of Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship schedule, crossover matches with the five Australian franchises have been proposed to take place at the completion of Super Rugby Aotearoa.

Next year's Super Rugby Aotearoa season will involve the five New Zealand teams playing each other twice, as they did this year, with the addition of a one-off final.

Covid-19 travel restrictions permitting, the five New Zealand teams will then potentially play two matches, home and away, against each Australian team, though this is yet to be agreed with Rugby Australia.

From 2022, New Zealand Rugby is committed to expanding Super Rugby Aotearoa beyond the five existing Kiwi franchises by a "minimum" of three teams.

Of the eight expressions of interest NZR received for Super Rugby Aotearoa, four have been deemed worthy of ongoing negotiations.

At least one of those teams will be a Pasifika side, with the national body continuing to engage separate bids from Moana Pasifika and Kanaloa Hawaii.

The NZ Rugby board opted not to include a Pasifika side next year due to concerns around its competitiveness in a compressed timeframe, and apparent insufficient corporate support to prove a self-sustainable future which left the national body at risk.

Other potential teams from 2022 include the Fiji Drua, who won the Australian domestic competition in 2018 and are working towards bringing their test players back home from Europe. This team would be based in Suva, and provide a direct pathway through to the national team.

NZ Rugby is also believed to have reached an agreement with Andrew Forrest's Global Rapid Rugby for the Western Force to potentially join the New Zealand competition from 2022.

The final potential inclusion is the South China Lions, the bid previously revealed by the Herald. The team would be based out of the Bay of Plenty but also play games in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

attachment.php

The Super Rugby schedule for 2021 and 2022 has been decided - and it could include the Force and another new team backed by Aussie billionaire Andrew Forrest. Photos / Photosport, Getty Images

Rugby Australia took great offence to New Zealand Rugby's expressions of interest approach to Super Rugby next year and, therefore, did not apply to join the competition.

NZR's original pitch was for an eight-to-10 team competition next year, which left room for two-to-three Australian sides.

Negotiations between the two fractured parties are, however, expected to continue before the crossover matches in 2021 and the 2022 format are confirmed.

NZ Rugby plans to make a decision by November 30 on which teams will join Super Rugby Aotearoa from 2022.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12369614

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It hasn't happened yet, obviously.

But, then again, you could be be laughing.

Until you're not.
Don’t know what is going on and obviously media all over the place with rumours. I thought there was bridge building with RA under Hamish and twiggys team and WA rugby and been very quiet on twiggy front on plans.

Don’t know what to believe as things have been kept very much under wraps as to
Force, twiggy and RA broader plans or deal discussions.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So possible merger of rapid rugby with nz super rugby competition - I will just get the popcorn and watch this unfold.

NZ rugby worried about the quality of Australian sides, think 4-5 is too much.

Than chooses to merger with a comp that the winning side could not win a game against the sides NZ is worried about not having the quality.

NZ rugby is doing a good job and making promises they can't keep and getting on the wrong side of there fans.

1st is was the 2003 RWC, next was the Rugby championship being completely on kiwi soil and than they add some teams from a second teir comp because they offerened the ARU.

But hey, it's NZ. They will blame the ARU for everything like always.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No regrets from WA and why would they? If this happens I’m definitely continuing my support for Force (straight after Reds). Twiggy doing Twiggy and keeping options open.

My preference though, is for Force and RA to resolve and continue working toward something sensible under the RA umbrella.

Who would have guessed we would be here after WA was de-Clynned?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No regrets from WA and why would they? If this happens I’m definitely continuing my support for Force (straight after a Reds). Twiggy doing Twiggy and keeping options open.

My preference though, is for Force and RA to resolve and continue working toward something sensible under the RA umbrella.

Who would have guessed we would be here after WA was de-Clynned?
No if force join nz super rugby competition alone I won’t support them or watch them. Australian rugby best interests first for me but I doubt this will happen given what twiggy talked about as pathways to wallabies etc for force as no chance RA will support force players eligible for wallabies if not playing in RA sanctioned competition. I think this is all just media beat up so let’s not buy into this media fueled rumours click bait

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No if force join nz super rugby competition alone I won’t support them or watch them. Australian rugby best interests first for me but I doubt this will happen given what twiggy talked about as pathways to wallabies etc for force as no chance RA will support force players eligible for wallabies if not playing in RA sanctioned competition. I think this is all just media beat up so let’s not buy into this media fueled rumours click bait

Agree on the media beat up - NZRU trying to show something practical coming out of the ill-considered EOI process. And Force/GRR able to show they are being taken seriously by the world’s most respected (till recently) rugby nation.

Australian “ best interests” have done little for WA so don’t think that carries much weight. More the point is the practicality of the thing. Running with RA seems to me to be a far superior option - though Hamish needs to show some results.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree on the media beat up - NZRU trying to show something practical coming out of the ill-considered EOI process. And Force/GRR able to show they are being taken seriously by the world’s most respected (till recently) rugby nation.

Australian “ best interests” have done little for WA so don’t think that carries much weight. More the point is the practicality of the thing. Running with RA seems to me to be a far superior option - though Hamish needs to show some results.
Twiggy been playing hardball game with RA to get a seat at top of the table and righty so and they definitely have power not afraid to use. But what twiggy wants vs what good for oz rugby pretty aligned on what been publicly stated so confident it will work out there. WA rugby interests will be well represented going forward imo given twiggy backing and dialogue coming from Hamish.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Twiggy been playing hardball game with RA to get a seat at top of the table and righty so and they definitely have power not afraid to use. But what twiggy wants vs what good for oz rugby pretty aligned on what been publicly stated so confident it will work out there. WA rugby interests will be well represented going forward imo given twiggy backing and dialogue coming from Hamish.

Works for me!