• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

G

GingerBreadCrab

I think the boys from the West on this Forum might do well to remember that we want them to succeed.
Some of us are close to the fire and have sacrificed a lot for rugby in WA.
It feels like every announcement on here or counter-argument turns personal very quickly, and that makes the product you're trying to promote very hard to "like".
I love rugby, I want to be a supporter of all rugby in Australia, but the nature of the game should be inclusive. Right now, as a current east-coast resident listening to the vitriol towards the established franchises and the existing structure, I don't feel a part of your team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the boys from the West on this Forum might do well to remember that we want them to succeed.
It feels like every announcement on here or counter-argument turns personal very quickly, and that makes the product you're trying to promote very hard to "like".
I love rugby, I want to be a supporter of all rugby in Australia, but the nature of the game should be inclusive. Right now, as a current east-coast resident listening to the vitriol towards the established franchises and the existing structure, I don't feel a part of your team.

agreed, but I don't think they care. I get the impression they couldn't give a stuff about the rest of the Australian rugby public.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
agreed, but I don't think they care. I get the impression they couldn't give a stuff about the rest of the Australian rugby public.

To some extent this is part of the ethos of the West. The most isolated capital city on the planet. When I worked for the Reserve Bank, the view was that this isolation, plus the time differences to the Eastern States, breeds a high degree of independence self-reliance, and entrepreneurism.

Maybe this is what comes across as a lack of collegiality?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

First, that's a sweeping generalisation right there. I think deep down you know it ain't universally true. As a respected bloke on here, you don't need to do that.

Second, by firing that off, you're providing (and rallying) the pointed banter—I think vitriol is overstating it—that Ginger so dislikes.

No one's too bothered about the odd shot here or there, and in other places it's considered only pantomime spite. But those who put it about themselves also need to handle the jandal, to borrow a kiwi phrase.

Some forums (and some people) aren't really meant for it. I think GAGR is one of those places.

It will be better for people here to cut down on scratching at scabs if they want the skin to heal.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

It depends on the poster. I find Kiap generally even tempered on most things. ForceFan, not so much. He seems to need to maintain a sense of outrage and indignation which can be rather polarising. I want GRR to succeed as I think the whole Force saga is a blight on the game. But the belligerence does make things a little more grating.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
First, that's a sweeping generalisation right there. I think deep down you know it ain't universally true.

Oh yes it is. Nobody can say anything at all that is mildly sceptical about the Twiggyventure without being subjected to personal attacks. And you are one of the best at it, mate.

It will be better for people here to cut down on scratching at scabs if they want the skin to heal.

Starting with you.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Oh yes it is. Nobody can say anything at all that is mildly sceptical about the Twiggyventure without being subjected to personal attacks. And you are one of the best at it, mate.

LOL

I'm one of the best at a lot of things, my good man.

Humility, a great sense of humour, and maintaining an impressive post count during work hours are but three.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
LOL

I'm one of the best at a lot of things, my good man.

Humility, a great sense of humour, and maintaining an impressive post count during work hours are but three.

TBH, I hadn’t actually connect that Kiap is from the west. OK, I’m a slow learner.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
To some extent this is part of the ethos of the West. The most isolated capital city on the planet. When I worked for the Reserve Bank, the view was that this isolation, plus the time differences to the Eastern States, breeds a high degree of independence self-reliance, and entrepreneurism.

Maybe this is what comes across as a lack of collegiality?

Okay, you've touched on something which demands a response.

If there's a lack of collegiality from those of us out West, it's because we recognise that Australia - whether you're talking politics, public policy, sport, business, whatever - is run by the east and for the east, and Western Australia is at best an afterthought in national decision-making. The GST issue is the most high-profile recent example of this, but it's far from the only one.

That's the lens through which I view the decision to axe the Force. "Should we cut the side from Perth or Melbourne?" Yeah, I bet Clyne and Co. thought about that for all of five seconds. So even though I personally have moved on from the decision itself, I'm under no illusions whatsoever as to why that decision was made, or why if they had to go back they'd do it all over again.

It doesn't help us deal with this sense of injustice that none of the duplicitous bastards (I hope that language isn't too strong for this forum) have suffered any meaningful consequences for their duplicity. (At least us long-suffering cricket fans have finally had the satisfaction of watching Sutherland, Peever and Howard walk the plank.) Not only that, but from the instant that Forrest announced his plans for the new comp, RA have seemingly done everything they can to stall, sabotage, or de-legitimise it, so if there's a certain amount of chippiness from disgruntled Force fans on here, I'd say that's a large part of the reason why.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Who is the 'we' kemosahbee? You seem to think you can speak for others, speak for yourself . Can you tell me what you have sacrificed for rugby in WA?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
TBH, I hadn’t actually connect that Kiap is from the west. OK, I’m a slow learner.

Heheh, all good. In fairness I'm somewhat of a carpetbagger to the west; really from elsewhere and only just clocked up ten years.

Reactions: dru

andrewM

Herbert Moran (7)

Not sure about rugby public, but rugby system may be more accurate. My cynical, bitter side hopes that the remaining Super side and Wallabies have another year of dismal crowds and performances, not to mention catastrophic financial results, if only to validate the POV that canning the Force has achieved sweet FA and that Clyne's only option is to fall on his own sword.

My positive, rugby loving self just wants to see the Tahs underachieve ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure about rugby public, but rugby system may be more accurate. My cynical, bitter side hopes that the remaining Super side and Wallabies have another year of dismal crowds and performances, not to mention catastrophic financial results, if only to validate the POV that canning the Force has achieved sweet FA and that Clyne's only option is to fall on his own sword.

My positive, rugby loving self just wants to see the Tahs underachieve ;)

I was right with you up until your last sentence, with or without the wink. The problem is you link with this topic a defence of WA with a an issue with one particular team. I live in Sydney.

I have an issue with NSWRU, but not with the Waratah team. I have an issue with the Reds HQ, but I am a Red fan for life. It’s congenital, a defect maybe.

FWIW The only team/union that I am actually a member of - Is the Force. I doubt that I am the only Sydney-sider in this boat.

G

GingerBreadCrab

Who is the 'we' kemosahbee? You seem to think you can speak for others, speak for yourself . Can you tell me what you have sacrificed for rugby in WA?

Mate the only time I used "we" was in reference to wanting them to succeed. Do you not want that?

I'm not comfortable disclosing my playing and coaching history on a public forum such as this. This forum acts as a great equaliser and offers a voice to those who may not necessarily have the profile or opportunity to discuss important issues otherwise.
As such, as long as everyone can behave themselves, I think they deserve a bit of anonymity.

G

GingerBreadCrab

Okay, you've touched on something which demands a response.

If there's a lack of collegiality from those of us out West, it's because we recognise that Australia - whether you're talking politics, public policy, sport, business, whatever - is run by the east and for the east, and Western Australia is at best an afterthought in national decision-making. The GST issue is the most high-profile recent example of this, but it's far from the only one.

I understand this, believe me, I do. The thing is, I didn't make any of those decisions.

I think we were much better off with the Western Force as part of Super Rugby.

In my opinion, these factors shouldn't fly in my face when I'm trying to find out the latest news coming out of Floreat.

Being told how wrong we were to exclude WA, how we aren't welcome as part of GRR and how much everyone in WA wants to see Super Rugby fail (Whether subtly, in official announcements, or overtly and abrasively on forums like this) really makes me feel worse about the state of rugby in Australia and not excited, as I should be.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Mate the only time I used "we" was in reference to wanting them to succeed. Do you not want that?

I'm not comfortable disclosing my playing and coaching history on a public forum such as this. This forum acts as a great equaliser and offers a voice to those who may not necessarily have the profile or opportunity to discuss important issues otherwise.
As such, as long as everyone can behave themselves, I think they deserve a bit of anonymity.
no one wants you to disclose your vital details. You said you had sacrificed for rugby in WA and I asked if you could tell us what you have sacrificed. I haven't sacrificed a thing for rugby WA and I'm unlikely to either. Do I want them to succeed? I may or may not want that, but why do you speak for me? Speak for yourself mate.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I was right with you up until your last sentence, with or without the wink. The problem is you link with this topic a defence of WA with a an issue with one particular team. I live in Sydney.

I have an issue with NSWRU, but not with the Waratah team. I have an issue with the Reds HQ, but I am a Red fan for life. It’s congenital, a defect maybe.

FWIW The only team/union that I am actually a member of - Is the Force. I doubt that I am the only Sydney-sider in this boat.

I actually contributed to the 'Own the Force' initiative.

Reactions: dru
G

GingerBreadCrab

no one wants you to disclose your vital details. You said you had sacrificed for rugby in WA and I asked if you could tell us what you have sacrificed. I haven't sacrificed a thing for rugby WA and I'm unlikely to either. Do I want them to succeed? I may or may not want that, but why do you speak for me? Speak for yourself mate.

You asked me specifically what I had sacrificed for RugbyWA and the Western Force. I'm not sure what you want here?
I don't really care if you've sacrificed anything for them. Sorry. Sounds like you have an axe to grind.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
But the belligerence does make things a little more grating.

I'm happy to keep the belligerence for Rugby Australia (add to it obfuscation, procrastination and many other appropriate adjective that shows their treatment of the WF and any efforts towards maintaining a professional team in WA)

Let's agree on one thing WCR (and others if the cap fits) - I'll maintain my anger about the axing of the Western Force and you can maintain your sanctimony towards Western Force fans.

For those who think that some of us are too defensive about Andrew Forrest's efforts to build this new rugby competition in the region - what has Forrest promised that hasn't been delivered?

The actions of his rugby team has shown that if there had been a modicum of support from RA in 2017 there would have been a competition in 2018 rather than demonstration games.

Personally, I'd rather the Global Rapid Rugby thread was kept for comments about what's happening on that front.

G

GingerBreadCrab

Personally, I'd rather the Global Rapid Rugby thread was kept for comments about what's happening on that front.

To that - any announcement on the Luke McAllister / Malaysia connection?