• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gnostic's Wallaby Ratings Bled IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
1. Robinson 5 - Where is his form, has he lost strength in that broken arm?
2. Moore 7 - Lineout work very good. Scrum under pressure but more from the props.
3. Alexander 5 - As I feared he was under done and was soundly beaten in the few scrums that did actually get packed. His usual self in the open but the scrum is his bread and butter.
4. Sharpe 7 - Lineout work excellent. Safe as usual in his carries.
5. Chisholm 4 - Lineout very good. Saw him standing unbound at the back of at least 4 rucks in the first half.
6. Elsom 6 - Above average game from Elsom, but still not near his 2007-8 form.
7. Pocock 9 - Pocock tackles for both himself and Cooper. Steals 3 McCaw nil. Penalties nil McCaw 2.
8. McCalman 8 - defensively all over the place. Needs to tighten up his play at the base, the turn over to Cowan was good play by the later but he shouldn't have got the chance.
9. Genia 6.5 - passing good, arrived at the breakdown the quickest we have seen from him this year. Drifted in defence and left holes for Nonu.
10. Cooper 6.5 - Mercurial. he good and the bad all in one game. His defence is woeful and not getting better. As time goes on he will get targetted more and more for it unless somebody takes him aside and at least attempts to fix it.
12. Giteau 1 - He sang beautifully. He should go to the doctor about his crabs and look into the strength of the Euro. He did not lead the backs forward in defence and was destroyed by Nonu and Smith. Again kicked woefully.
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 7 - Starting to find his feet at 13. Hopefully the Brumbies will play him there next year. His angle for the second try was perfect.
11. Mitchell 6 - finishing was excellent for his try but his kicking from hand was wayward. Defence was static and he was easily beaten a few times. Partial excuse from him on this point that the defensive line was toally was static.
14. O'Connor 7 - his ability in heavy traffic is simply top class. Note that his big break was made from the 12 position. The final try was also a classic through heavy traffic. If he has to be in the side let it be at 12.
15. Beale 7 - His pace is amazing from two years ago. He tried everything and should be 15 for a long time. Positioning was good and scrambling defence also good but against the ABs that is always difficult.

16. Fainga'a 3 - Lineout throwing is very poor. Good defence and activity around the field but still a long way behind Moore and TPN
17. Slipper 6 - held his own in the scrum and defended well. Amazing that he didn't replace Alexander especially as Alexander himself said he hasn't been right for 5 weeks.
18. Mumm 5 - Not really enough time but seemed to strengthen the forward pack
19. Brown - Not used
20. Burgess 7 - the pace he brought and the extra defensive strength one off the ruck made a huge difference to this outcome.
21. Barnes 8.5 - in the time he had he showed why he should be the starting IC (if not JOC (James O'Connor)). He led the defensive line forward and for the first time in the game the ABs did not make easy breaks through the centres. It came down to the advancing defence and tackling around the legs.
22. Turner - Not Used.

Deans - they were very very lucky not to leave another game on the field simply through playing Giteau as kicker again. two consecutive games at 25% and 20% success rates is just not a S14 grade kicker. The fact that this is not isolated is just poor selection.

Again the defensive issues are there to be seen, but they can be fixed with appropriate selection. Bye Bye Giteau.

The reserves especially Barnes were delayed 10-15 minutes to long but the enormous impact and the change they made to the game are what got the Wallabies over the line.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Two last Points I forgot:-
1) The scrum was a farce with Rolland varying the length of his calls and the time between pause and engage.
2) The ABs again showed that in their 22 they are willing to concede penalty after penalty to prevent tries against them. I counted 5 separate advantages in the last 2 minutes. This would not be an issue except we have seen this from the ABs in EVERY game they have played this year. I expect a Scarfman Vid to outline how this is coached and premeditated behaviour. For me this premeditated cheating from them detracts for me what a complete side they have been this year. It takes some of the gloss from their wins when you see such cynical repeated behaviour game after game from the 1st to the 80th mnute (but only in their 22).

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
LOVE BARNES! :)

I thought Mitchell played well with limited chances apart from one lousy kick. Was surprisingly good under the high ball tonight! But at the end probably only deserves a 6. His try was a cracker, genuine pace, love it.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

based off those ratings im taking it Pocock is your MOM? He's mine for sure.

N

Newter

Barnes seems to excel against the All Blacks. And boy he is the one backline defender we have who can deck Ma'a Nonu instantly - he's been doing it since 2008!

I think you're harsh on Saia Fainga'a. He had one terrible throw-in, but the other was fine, and his urgency and timing at the ruck is always outstanding. Seals attacking ball for us very effectively.

W

WB3

Gnostic - agreed on all but one count. Bump Beale up to a solid 8.5. He was awesome tonight.

Numerous line breaks and/or set ups
Some heroic defence - trysaver in the first half
Composure and self-belief - that final kick return was golden.

Pocock still for MoM. He was phenomenal.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Barnes seems to excel against the All Blacks. And boy he is the one backline defender we have who can deck Ma'a Nonu instantly - he's been doing it since 2008!

Yeah Barnes was brilliant when he came on & your spot on about dropping Nonu, with Giteau's poor kicking & JOC (James O'Connor) landing a sideline conversion plus the pressure shot surely this must spell the end of Giteau's strangle hold on the 12 jersey.

TerryTate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think you're harsh on Saia Fainga'a. He had one terrible throw-in, but the other was fine, and his urgency and timing at the ruck is always outstanding. Seals attacking ball for us very effectively.

I don't rate him as an International Hooker. When TPN comes back things shall be better.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree with the ratings except for:
Alexander 5 > 6.5. Rolland made the scrums a crapshoot and his play in the open was excellent.
Elsom 6 > 7. I thought he was good in most things.
McCalman 8 > 7. You can't over-rate him because he's a rookie. His defence in close and his work off the back of the scrum had me wishing Palu was healed.
Cooper 6.5 > ???? Attack 9, defence 1, kicking 5. An enigma who needs to get his act together.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 7 > 8. Excellent running lines, defence OK, even passed once I think.
Mitchell 6 > 7. Wasn't that bad, did some great things and some average ones.
Beale 7 > 9. His running won us the match. Every time he ran the ball we were on the verge of cutting them up. His goal line defence to stop Mealamu was exceptional and realistically he had no chance of stopping Jane's try. My MOM.
Burgess 7 > 8. Needed more game time but he added energy in both attack and defence.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Two last Points I forgot:-
1) The scrum was a farce with Rolland varying the length of his calls and the time between pause and engage.
2) The ABs again showed that in their 22 they are willing to concede penalty after penalty to prevent tries against them. I counted 5 separate advantages in the last 2 minutes. This would not be an issue except we have seen this from the ABs in EVERY game they have played this year. I expect a Scarfman Vid to outline how this is coached and premeditated behaviour. For me this premeditated cheating from them detracts for me what a complete side they have been this year. It takes some of the gloss from their wins when you see such cynical repeated behaviour game after game from the 1st to the 80th mnute (but only in their 22).
It was interesting towards the end - I thought the ref may have carded someone if they had not played on with one penalty; he looked like he was about to.
Rolland totally bollixed up the calls on the scrums. I still think we are a way behind the ABs, but he was all over the shop on the timing, and the AR constantly overlooked Myth putting his hand down (but I think FatCat does this a fair bit too). The inconsistency had both packs second-guessing and it was never going to work after that.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
He is becoming a competent player gilbert beale, even his defence has improved which shows quade that it can be done

Shame quade couldn't repeat his tackle on kepu in the actual match, can't wait to see the stats for the game to see coopers tackle percentage

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So good points there Gnostic. But I disagree on a couple of your ratings.

3. Alexander 6 - although I agree his scrummaging needs to step up a couple of notches

5. Chisholm 5 (at least) - his ball running wasn't great, but he did do some good defending and muscled up at times in tight (more of that please)

8. McCalman 7 - going in the right direction, but see Hawko's point above

10. Cooper 5 (at best) - piss weak in contact, too many brain farts, but there was some good passing and running thrown in too
12. Giteau 4 - still time for new blood, but he wasn't all bad (he made a lot more tackles than Cooper, and it can't be easy defending outside him!)

11. Mitchell 7 - a pretty good game. Ups and downs but always fast and dangerous.
14. O'Connor 8 - some great running. Kicks do win or lose matches. The new number 12.
15. Beale 9 - almost a flawless performance, and he sparked a lot of great attacking and defensive plays. My MOTM (pocock was very close)

18. Mumm 6 - coming on as a sub suits him

Deans - selections for the next couple of matches will be the test for him. In this match he got the win, so he deserves credit. His subs were much better than those of his opposite number.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would also have Beale as man of the match, closely followed by Pocock. Beale is now looking the goods for a long term wallaby fullback. It is amazing that he has only had a few games in the spot, but he has already reached a high level and keeps getting better game after game.

Our back 3 completely outplayed theirs. Not something you would think is possible looking at the teams on paper.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Chis up one, Beale up one or two, Giteau down 2, McCalman down 2, OConnor up one, Schmoo up one.

And with the scrums, after we had been shagged a few times for engaging early, our front row werent even engaging, rather waiting for the hit. That meant that we were at a disadvantage straight away. If we could have had equality in the hit instead of being reffed out of it, then our scrum would have been a lot better.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So Beale can get a 9 missing those two kicks?

Yeah, I thought about that - if a player is the nominated long range kicker, he is going to miss a few so I wouldn't hold them against him. I'm not really sure they should have been attempted anyway.

Beale did a couple of other things in the match too - did you see the final 75mins?

Reactions: WB3

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So Beale can get a 9 missing those two kicks?

What a strange decision by Rocky to attempt those two kicks, long range and the most difficult position for a right footer.

And then he turns down the next penalty. Lucky we scored the try.

He should never have had to attempt those first two.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beale did a couple of other things in the match too - did you see the final 75mins?

Funny that, I did. Goal kicking is still a huge issue. Did we get 2 from 8? I'm sure everyone here wants the Wallabies to be the best team in the world; the best team in the world wouldn't miss 6 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.