• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chairman

Jim Clark (26)
Well done to Shore, winning 6 from 6 in the Year 8 Quad races, im not sure how the others panned out though if anyone could share that would be greatly appreciated.
Wee correction, of the 8 starts in the Year 8 Quads, Shore won 8 races, and from the 5 starts in the Year 9 Quads, Shore won 4 and got 1 2nd.

it's_marvellous2024

Bob McCowan (2)
Top 5 HOTR upsets.

5. St Joseph's 2015

Shore's dominance in 2014 was absolutely incredible, their length and prowess in the boat was unmatched, and I would rate them very highly in my list of best Shore crews in the 2000s (if you would like that please let me know). 2015 wasn't going to be any different, a solid crew backed mainly by the winning Second VIII of the years before seemed ripe to reclaim the Rennie for the lads in North Sydney. But it was not to be. St Joseph's came from the clouds to absolutely wallop the field in the last 500 and bring the Rennie back to Hunter's Hill for the first time since 1973. 42 years of pain straight down the drain. Great race plan, and a solid rate helped them get up for this one. I never saw it coming. Not sure anyone else did either to be honest. Little did they know at the time however this loss would help Shore birth a monster in the future.

4. Ignatius 2018

Another tale of the cracking of Shore's dominance, St Ignatius' came in having not won since 1975, and no real culture around rowing. They were relatively good in 2017, sticking onto Shore's heels and coming within 2 seconds of them at the 2017 HOTR, but still it seemed that the Jennings era would just roll on onto another Rennie. But Ignatius played it to perfection. Sit back, lower the rate, preserve the energy and go for home with your life. Incredible atmosphere on the day, and incredible rowing.

3. Scots 2020

One word can describe this race: Madness. Covid, contreversy surrounding the change of date, tired crews and a whole lot more meant effectively that this race was tossed up into the air for anyone to grab. But the last thing I expected was for a Scots crew that had come nowhere near the Rennie last year to absolutely murder the field, leaving the two favourites; Shore and King's in the dust, and putting an emphatic mark on the race. King's and Shore had dominated the field all year. It was surely just going to be a 1 vs 1, but Scots absolutely tore up the field and shocked everyone.

2. King’s 2021

Well, as a Shore fan this one hurt the most. The most complete crew with pure power in the engine room, beautiful rhythm from the stern pair and fantastic technique in the bow pair, this crew seemed and was for a long time, unbeatable. 2 Australian rowers in the 4 (RIP) and 5 led them to winning every race and going undefeated in the regular season. Hauling out a 5:53 just before HOTR??? Unheard of. Then it all came crumbling down from there. King's snatched it with 250 left, and then the infamous "KING'S THEN SHORE" chants rolled out. An absolute daylight robbery of a Rennie. Well done to King's for hanging in and snatching it, but this was more of a user error more than anything.

1. Shore 2005

I still to this day don't understand how this happened. Shore came out absolutely blazing, lost the lead at the 1500, and everyone expected for it to be another lost result due to poor race strategy. In a year where St Joseph's won Nationals, King's had only lost 1 race and Shore had a best placing of 3rd for the whole year and had not won, watching that last 500 was absolutely absurd. No one had Shore remotely near the lead, they had just come off Nationals looking good but not great, and it appeared they had burned all of the fuel but no. I wish there was some footage of this, because that was simply the Greatest Escape. Heaving out a 1:29 in the Final 500, when they had just gone from a 1:29 in the FIRST 500 to a 1:32 in the THIRD 500 is madness. I remember I thought I was dreaming when I watched this. Simply the greatest shock I have ever witnessed. No errors, just pure passion and adrenaline. It doesn't get much better than that.
Grammar 2011 has to be up there

The Chairman

Jim Clark (26)
Besides that, i'll chuck up my prediction.

Bow: Zukerman (I)
2: Fuller (N)
3: Macfarlane (E)
4: Moloney (J)
5: Hines (K)
6: Rogers (K)
7: Hennessy (I)
Stroke: Mitchell (J)

FCD

Banned
Top 5 HOTR upsets.

5. St Joseph's 2015

Shore's dominance in 2014 was absolutely incredible, their length and prowess in the boat was unmatched, and I would rate them very highly in my list of best Shore crews in the 2000s (if you would like that please let me know). 2015 wasn't going to be any different, a solid crew backed mainly by the winning Second VIII of the years before seemed ripe to reclaim the Rennie for the lads in North Sydney. But it was not to be. St Joseph's came from the clouds to absolutely wallop the field in the last 500 and bring the Rennie back to Hunter's Hill for the first time since 1973. 42 years of pain straight down the drain. Great race plan, and a solid rate helped them get up for this one. I never saw it coming. Not sure anyone else did either to be honest. Little did they know at the time however this loss would help Shore birth a monster in the future.

4. Ignatius 2018

Another tale of the cracking of Shore's dominance, St Ignatius' came in having not won since 1975, and no real culture around rowing. They were relatively good in 2017, sticking onto Shore's heels and coming within 2 seconds of them at the 2017 HOTR, but still it seemed that the Jennings era would just roll on onto another Rennie. But Ignatius played it to perfection. Sit back, lower the rate, preserve the energy and go for home with your life. Incredible atmosphere on the day, and incredible rowing.

3. Scots 2020

One word can describe this race: Madness. Covid, contreversy surrounding the change of date, tired crews and a whole lot more meant effectively that this race was tossed up into the air for anyone to grab. But the last thing I expected was for a Scots crew that had come nowhere near the Rennie last year to absolutely murder the field, leaving the two favourites; Shore and King's in the dust, and putting an emphatic mark on the race. King's and Shore had dominated the field all year. It was surely just going to be a 1 vs 1, but Scots absolutely tore up the field and shocked everyone.

2. King’s 2021

Well, as a Shore fan this one hurt the most. The most complete crew with pure power in the engine room, beautiful rhythm from the stern pair and fantastic technique in the bow pair, this crew seemed and was for a long time, unbeatable. 2 Australian rowers in the 4 (RIP) and 5 led them to winning every race and going undefeated in the regular season. Hauling out a 5:53 just before HOTR??? Unheard of. Then it all came crumbling down from there. King's snatched it with 250 left, and then the infamous "KING'S THEN SHORE" chants rolled out. An absolute daylight robbery of a Rennie. Well done to King's for hanging in and snatching it, but this was more of a user error more than anything.

1. Shore 2005

I still to this day don't understand how this happened. Shore came out absolutely blazing, lost the lead at the 1500, and everyone expected for it to be another lost result due to poor race strategy. In a year where St Joseph's won Nationals, King's had only lost 1 race and Shore had a best placing of 3rd for the whole year and had not won, watching that last 500 was absolutely absurd. No one had Shore remotely near the lead, they had just come off Nationals looking good but not great, and it appeared they had burned all of the fuel but no. I wish there was some footage of this, because that was simply the Greatest Escape. Heaving out a 1:29 in the Final 500, when they had just gone from a 1:29 in the FIRST 500 to a 1:32 in the THIRD 500 is madness. I remember I thought I was dreaming when I watched this. Simply the greatest shock I have ever witnessed. No errors, just pure passion and adrenaline. It doesn't get much better than that.
The biggest upset / biggest win surely has to be TKS 1st VIII 1993.

Newington were going for 5 straight wins. Islay Lee & Ken St Heaps were coaching the crew against the Michael Morgan coached Newington VIII.

Newington lead for 2200 metres and had clear water when the 7 seat stopped rowing...and Kings came storming home to win the Major for the first time since 1984.

The river bank went crazy and the Sheaf was mental.

The current TKS 1st VIII boat is named after Islay Lee in recognition of the crew winning in 1993.

The Chairman

Jim Clark (26)
The biggest upset / biggest win surely has to be TKS 1st VIII 1993.

Newington were going for 5 straight wins. Islay Lee & Ken St Heaps were coaching the crew against the Michael Morgan coached Newington VIII.

Newington lead for 2200 metres and had clear water when the 7 seat stopped rowing...and Kings came storming home to win the Major for the first time since 1984.

The river bank went crazy and the Sheaf was mental.

The current TKS 1st VIII boat is named after Islay Lee in recognition of the crew winning in 1993.

Was the King’s First VIII boat not recently named the Graham MacKenzie by King’s?

FCD

Banned
Was the King’s First VIII boat not recently named the Graham MacKenzie by King’s?
It may be a new 8+? But the 1993 crew had a 30 year reunion with Islay Lee in attendance at the Kings boatshed.

What made the result even more tremendous was that they won the AAGPS Head of the River after smashing their Ted Hale (Queensland) boat into the 'Leaning Pile' at the Gold Cup regatta. Numerous injuries to the crew and a smashed up boat...

Status
Not open for further replies.