• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Shore’s grading of Fours was perfectly correct. I had a chat to a parent yesterday in the grandstand and this was what I heard. The Fourth Four was behind constantly throughout the year, had not lost once and had an average erg around the 6:55 mark. They just had a blinder on race day. The Third Four had an average erg around the 6:35 mark, but could not string it together on the water. They were normally on par if not faster than the Third Four. The Second Four had a shocker on race day. That combination was so dominant in the Third Four, they got told by the AAGPS to move it up into the Second Four race where they just had a bad day.

That Shore Fourth Four is not faster than the Third and Second Four, they just had a better race.
This is correct. That four was definitely the fourth fastest four throughout the year: they just had a blinder. The third four wasn’t helped by one of their rowers having a sprained wrist the week before.
And yes, some of the third four got moved to the second four but didn’t row well on Saturday.
There was no shenanigans. It happens.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Pretty unnecessary to print this. Plus It wasn’t the leader board. That was the last set of ergs. The numbers shifted all year and as you will know, can be very dependent on health status etc.

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
I enjoy this forum for the insights into sports and schools I follow but I am choosing to also enjoy the hypocrisy of posters of the holier than though approaches to their boat selections.
View IVs got dudded.
oh, and we don’t buy rugby players either…

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
How is Will ellis (G) not comeback rower of the year, injured for the whole term 4 while grammar looked worse than ever with key rowers moving to other schools and coaching changes but he came in and captained his crew to the most success the school has seen in 12 years
Agreed, @The Chairman Grammar beat Scots by 7 seconds and Newington by around half a boat length, he was pretty key to that, and had a serious back injury up until late Jan, Grammar had everything going against them and just don't have the program or kids that the other 6 have.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Agreed, @The Chairman Grammar beat Scots by 7 seconds and Newington by around half a boat length, he was pretty key to that, and had a serious back injury up until late Jan, Grammar had everything going against them and just don't have the program or kids that the other 6 have.
Bergin went from not being included in the HOTR last year to being the 7 for the Second VIII then the 3 in a First Four that won on the Nepean. Ellis was already in the First Eight and recognised as a very talented rower. Both make strong cases but Bergin edges him out im afraid.

Last edited:

ReluctantRower

Allen Oxlade (6)
I find it ironic that you are all just nodding on and accepting that the Shore 4th IV beat both their third and second IV's. Not to discredit their race, it was impressive. However how is this different to the situation regarding the Kings 2nd IV last year? That crew stayed roughly the same all season, performed on the day and beat the first IV. That situation was labelled as stacking by many people on this forum.

My question to you @The Chairman is how is a shore 4th IV beating higher crews by 16 seconds is acceptable, but a Kings crew beating a higher boat by 6 seconds unacceptable and stacking? Anyone else do feel free to share your thoughts.

RR

I find it ironic that you are all just nodding on and accepting that the Shore 4th IV beat both their third and second IV's. Not to discredit their race, it was impressive. However how is this different to the situation regarding the Kings 2nd IV last year? That crew stayed roughly the same all season, performed on the day and beat the first IV. That situation was labelled as stacking by many people on this forum.

My question to you @The Chairman is how is a shore 4th IV beating higher crews by 16 seconds is acceptable, but a Kings crew beating a higher boat by 6 seconds unacceptable and stacking? Anyone else do feel free to share your thoughts.

RR
I personally saw a great deal of bubbles behind the shore 4th IV, much more than the usual amount left in the wake of the boat. Perhaps there success is not, in fact, a product of stacking, but indeed a hidden motor. Check that boat!!!!

Thank
1710671044683.png

Mista APNP

Last edited:

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)

RR
Look at the Shore Fourth Four. The crew has changed only 1 person since the King’s/PLC Regatta, in which they pulled a 7:20 and lost by 5 seconds to Riverview. The person they lost was the 6’7 Welch. Just look at them in comparison to the Third Four. The Shore Third Four is taller, stronger and bigger in every sense. I’ve never claimed that King’s stacked, but the Fourth Four had a great day, and the Third and Second Four had bad ones.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)

Look at the Shore Fourth Four. The crew has changed only 1 person since the King’s/PLC Regatta, in which they pulled a 7:20 and lost by 5 seconds to Riverview. The person they lost was the 6’7 Welch. Just look at them in comparison to the Third Four. The Shore Third Four is taller, stronger and bigger in every sense. I’ve never claimed that King’s stacked, but the Fourth Four had a great day, and the Third and Second Four had bad ones.
This is 100% correct.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I enjoy this forum for the insights into sports and schools I follow but I am choosing to also enjoy the hypocrisy of posters of the holier than though approaches to their boat selections.
View IVs got dudded.
oh, and we don’t buy rugby players either…
Yes you do

Yep - ultimately, the fours are very weird boats that can be very hard to predict and that are very dependent on the crews mood.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
This is correct. That four was definitely the fourth fastest four throughout the year: they just had a blinder. The third four wasn’t helped by one of their rowers having a sprained wrist the week before.
And yes, some of the third four got moved to the second four but didn’t row well on Saturday.
There was no shenanigans. It happens.
Well done to the crew, the boys rowed/coxed very well.

Anyone know if Joeys are looking to challenge Henley this year? They've been before in their much worser years. I heard Kings were thinking about it as well - that thought has probably been crushed by now.

bladebender

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone have any thoughts on who might have a good shot at nationals in the Juniors especially after that closely fought contest between shore and kings

cheers,
Shore will definitely pose a challenge as a contestant against Kings' First Junior. However, the real question remains: can they surpass them? Despite Shore's determination, Kings' First Junior exhibited remarkable strength in their recent performance, making the outcome uncertain.

Shore will definitely pose a challenge as a contestant against Kings' First Junior. However, the real question remains: can they surpass them? Despite Shore's determination, Kings' First Junior exhibited remarkable strength in their recent performance, making the outcome uncertain.
Shore flied and died, no two ways about it. I could tell they would hit the clag about 500m in by the way their stroke was rowing. However, pacing isn't something too hard to fix, so I think the race at nationals could be a bit closer between them this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.