• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod dennis

Peter Burge (5)
As an old Scots boy I have to say, that performance was completely abysmal. 7th place is unheard of and I doubt we've finished this low for decades. With JB leaving and rumours of a new director serving as more of a "dictator". I think its safe to say that Scots time in the sun which lasted from 2020 to 2023 and brought a Major Rennie as-well as two podium finishes in the space of 4 years is over. I predict a downturn for Scots unless the program can miraculously turn itself around. For me this is a shame because after the 2020 win it seemed as though things were on the up throughout the whole program. It seemed as though the great success of 2020 would be the basis of a new period of success.

RD

bladebender

Bob McCowan (2)
Shore flied and died, no two ways about it. I could tell they would hit the clag about 500m in by the way their stroke was rowing. However, pacing isn't something too hard to fix, so I think the race at nationals could be a bit closer between them this time.
watch out for Melbourne Schools; they're shaping up to be strong contenders. With their talent and determination, they might just surprise everyone with their performance on the big stage.

argentinaontop

Bob McCowan (2)
Shore will definitely pose a challenge as a contestant against Kings' First Junior. However, the real question remains: can they surpass them? Despite Shore's determination, Kings' First Junior exhibited remarkable strength in their recent performance, making the outcome uncertain.
No, Shore had the easy win on the weekend but got outdone by a very disciplined and well trained kings 1st Junior 8 crew. They are a cocky crew and they have absolutely no chance in the nationals. Wake up mate.

it's_marvellous2024

Frank Row (1)
Agreed, @The Chairman Grammar beat Scots by 7 seconds and Newington by around half a boat length, he was pretty key to that, and had a serious back injury up until late Jan, Grammar had everything going against them and just don't have the program or kids that the other 6 have.
Two weeks out from HOTR Grammar was also suffering through a bit of illness/injury in the 1st VIII. Ellis was able to support the men to get them to their best position since 2012 ahead of Newington, Scots and High. Hopefully Saturday has inspired some Grammar boys in the crowd to get behind the rowing program and we can see a full fleet row for Grammar again soon.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Victorian schools aren't coming up for the nationals this year, apparently. See post #1307.
I was thinking the same thing Lindommer.

This Saturday 23rd
APS (Associated Public Schools of VIC)

Race 1
Male School Eight Open Division

1MSCH8+O1Male School Eight Open Division 110SchoolMaleSweep82000M

01.01Brighton GrammarA.Roos, M.Farrand, I.Pels, L.Roberts, P.Hanley, O.Goodger-McGrath, H.Pollock, S.Kirkham, Cox: J.Lorback, Coach: T.Creber
01.02Carey GrammarP.Cain, E.Sinicco, T.Rush, N.Collins, L.Waldron, C.McCann, L.Vallely, H.Markovic, Cox: H.Cunningham, Coach: M.Naughton
01.03Caulfield GrammarH.Crawford, C.Brooks, H.Naphtali, M.English, A.Ng-Yeo, T.Flinkier, E.Westcott, L.O'Neill, Cox: J.Sudarski
01.04Geelong CollegeH.Hecht, H.Mason, S.Robinson, J.Manderson, L.Mitchell, N.Thornton, X.Ryan, L.Quayle, Cox: P.Norris, Coach: E.Callan
01.05Geelong GrammarM.Yates, N.Laycock, F.Pithie, N.Walsh, J.Pincott, S.Siebel, H.Roche, S.Strang, Cox: T.Coakley
01.06Melbourne GSO.Mayo, C.Wake, G.Russell, J.Peavey, A.O'Brien, M.Hamilton, T.Mitsikas, M.Sallabank, Cox: S.Leviny
01.07Scotch CollegeA.Marro, A.Bruce, J.Talbot, L.Green, M.Boykett, A.Moloney, J.Collingwood, H.Pernell, Cox: O.Brown
01.08St Kevin'sL.Incani, D.Bafunno, B.McKay, E.Wiseman, H.O'Brien, J.Donohue, J.Sutherland, E.O'Neill, Cox: X.Dunn, Coach: B.Scott
01.09Wesley CollegeJ.Welberry, A.Nightingale, Z.Skyring, J.Hyde, H.Isaacs, N.Giannopoulos, T.Sest, S.Church, Cox: A.Graham
01.10Xavier CollegeJ.Brunt, O.Gurrie, R.Hogan, H.Reynolds, J.Stewart, E.Brown, J.Lee-Conway, H.Glass, Cox: Z.Takla, Coach: S.Lake

Last edited:

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
Think its safe to say that Riverview's dynasty has been stopped. We all talked about it, and could see it forming. After the recent results, the schools I see benefiting the most are Shore and Joeys. Shore for cementing their culture as a rowing school, and that they are still highly competitive within the GPS, and of course Joeys, bring the Major Rennie trophy back to Hunters Hill. Also providing as inspiration to all younger boys.
-Professor

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
As an old Scots boy I have to say, that performance was completely abysmal. 7th place is unheard of and I doubt we've finished this low for decades. With JB leaving and rumours of a new director serving as more of a "dictator". I think its safe to say that Scots time in the sun which lasted from 2020 to 2023 and brought a Major Rennie as-well as two podium finishes in the space of 4 years is over. I predict a downturn for Scots unless the program can miraculously turn itself around. For me this is a shame because after the 2020 win it seemed as though things were on the up throughout the whole program. It seemed as though the great success of 2020 would be the basis of a new period of success.

RD
Scots is unique. Usually results like that produce a longer run of success but it seems to have done very litle. It really seems like the phenomenal coaching of Baker helped them punch far above their weight for a few years. Taking him out of the picture seems to have completely undermined their program.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Hmmm - Kings will be rebuilding quite heavily next year with only 1 returning rower in the 1 8 (Farrah, assuming he doesn't quit) and 2 in the 2 8. More likely to see a top 3 Kings for 2026. Agree with shore and view though.
Shore and Ignatius look the best of the field, the Shore Eights had 7 Crewmen in Year 11, and the Ignatius Eights had 6. However Shore get the edge from me because of their strong performance in the 1st Junior compared to Ignatius’. Competitive field most certainly however.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Think its safe to say that Riverview's dynasty has been stopped. We all talked about it, and could see it forming. After the recent results, the schools I see benefiting the most are Shore and Joeys. Shore for cementing their culture as a rowing school, and that they are still highly competitive within the GPS, and of course Joeys, bring the Major Rennie trophy back to Hunters Hill. Also providing as inspiration to all younger boys.
-Professor
G'day Professor, I would argue that Riverview will be competitive for the foreseeable future, they were again the most successful shed (CD Taylor shield, for what its worth?), and had the most 1/2 finishes at HOTR, they will continue to build their program, with a top MIC rowing and coaches. I know their 2nd VIII was disappointed with 2nd when they had laid down times like 6:02 and change during the season, full credit to Kings though who were fastest at HOTR, taking the silverware back to Parramatta.

No doubt Shore will take a good deal of heart from Saturday and I expect they will improve as others have said with strong Year 10 VIII's and Chair mentioned year 11's returning for next seasons VIII's. They have about 3 or 4 times more wins than just any other single GPS school, so they know the recipe.

It's evident Kings has a really good program, highly competitive with their Seniors and Juniors, so they will be on pace again next season imo. My OK mates who didn't row, refer to rowers as Rum Dowers, which I got a laugh out of... Easily amused over here...

Joeys, after an impressive 1st VIII win on Saturday, have a shed that is a little way back from the above 3 with consistency and podiums, i.e; 1/2 finishes. With enough effort though, anything is possible, will be interesting to see how they develop.

You can see glimpses of speed from Newington during the season and Grammar did well to come 5th in the VIII on Saturday. I don't know much at all about their or Scot's programs though, from an outsider's view, it appears the depth is not there yet in their sheds?

Last edited:

LegDrive

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone know why view can post an extremely competitive 2nd Junior, a winning 3rd Junior, Winning 4th Junior as well as a podium finishing 5th Junior. But their 1st Junior are yet to win and didn't make podium in Saturday? Interesting to see such great depth but the top result not there.

-Legs

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Does anyone know why view can post an extremely competitive 2nd Junior, a winning 3rd Junior, Winning 4th Junior as well as a podium finishing 5th Junior. But their 1st Junior are yet to win and didn't make podium in Saturday? Interesting to see such great depth but the top result not there.

-Legs
Good question LD, I think the View year 10 1st VIII won their race on the Nepean, don't know a lot about the race, wasn't there and I know they had a bad start at the HOTR, steering into the buoys. How much all of that counts for... don't know... Could be a current parent that could contribute more than me

The MIC is pretty good at stepping up the training transition from the View Jnr VIIIs to the GPS crews.

Joe Fledger

Bob McCowan (2)
1. Shore
2. Kings
3. View

that could go either way in the top 3
As hard as it is I find it difficult to put view behind kings. I think it will be a battle with view and shore. View with 4 returning 1st 8 rowers and depth throughout the 2nd 8 and 4's. Shore should be high on confidence after Saturday with a few returning rowers as well as similar depth among the shed.

bladebender

Bob McCowan (2)
Good question LD, I think the View year 10 1st VIII won their race on the Nepean, don't know a lot about the race, wasn't there and I know they had a bad start at the HOTR, steering into the buoys. How much all of that counts for... don't know... Could be a current parent that could contribute more than me

The MIC is pretty good at stepping up the training transition from the View Jnr VIIIs to the GPS crews.
I have been told there was an unfair advantage in the Nepean race, favoring View with a significant lead right from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.