• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Great Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting. I've got a few friends who study maths and always have guys from the City knocking on their doors, taking them out to lunch, trying to get them to work at their hedge funds or investment banks. One of them in particular, he does something involving theoretical physics, (he explained it once but I barely understood a word) has an office next door to Hawking and has limitless options for when he finishes his PhD. Bastard!

From someone that works in the industry, I wish I had your mates brains... Very jealous!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
The Alpha Diaries

alpha-diaries.jpg
An unprecedented, groundbreaking and voyeuristic look into military reserve life in Israel, this film was shot over a 5 year period in director and reserve soldier Yaniv Berman’s life.

A soldier in the Israeli army reserves, Alpha Company, Berman had unparalleled access and filmed the soldiers as they went about their military service day and night.
Crossing over to the Palestinian border the camera captured remarkably every movement of the soldiers from the frenetic night-time house arrests to the quiet moments of self reflection and despair.
Capturing the humiliation of both the Palestinians who are subject to the house arrests as well as the Israeli soldiers who had to carry them out, this documentary is the unique story of those who every 30 days in the year drop their normal lives and under the guise of the olive green uniform, perform the toughest, most unsettling tasks, in the heart of an urban Palestinian town.
The camera penetrates the steely barriers of the military barracks and gains fresh insight into the views of the soldiers who speak frankly and uncompromisingly on a range of issues including the occupation, the conflict and the Army.
A sensitive exploration of the conflict done first hand from an individual caught in the midst of the action, Berman’s film leaves us with no doubt that war leaves scars and victims on both sides of the camp.

Watch the full documentary now

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/alpha-diaries/

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
To Cheat or Not to Cheat

This story appears in the June 4, 2012 issue of Sports Illustrated. Buy the digital version of the magazine here.
The 1994 Fort Myers Miracle, a Class A affiliate of the Minnesota Twins, included four pitchers of similar attributes. They each threw righthanded, with average velocity, and were either 23 or 24 years old and had been drafted out of four-year colleges in no higher than the fourth round. All would become good friends as they shared the torturous bus rides and even worse food through multiple rungs on the minor league ladder. All clutched the little boy's dream of becoming a big leaguer. Only one of them made it. Only one of them used steroids. Only one of them considered taking his own life. Only one of them harbors enormous regret. The big leaguer, the juicer, the near suicide and the shamed are one and the same.
http://www.readability.com/read?url...2/magazine/05/29/baseball.steroids/index.html

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Couldn't find the US politics thread, but this is a good article related:

America's war on women

With Coke, Nike, Hollywood films and fast food, the US has many exports.
As a spokesperson for Planned Parenthood – the oldest, largest and most trusted reproductive health provider in the US – I have one key message to Australians during my visit here: beware we don't export the war that is currently being waged on women in my country.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4058438.html?WT.svl=theDrum

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
This is fantastic:

After spending four hours in makeup, 2012 NBA Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving heads to the courts of New Jersey to devour some young bloods in a pick-up game.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Return to Sender

V.A. Shiva Ayyadurai — the MIT lecturer who invented e-mail — had spent years blasting the struggling United States Postal Service for its failure to embrace the revenue potential of his creation. So when he was recruited to help save the U.S. Mail earlier this year, Ayyadurai made headlines and was suddenly a star. That’s when the trouble started.
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/2012/05/shiva-ayyaduri-email-us-postal-service/?page=all

Status
Not open for further replies.