• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Halangahu rejects huge Ulster offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...er-offer-to-stay-a-waratah-20090503-aqz6.html

NSW five-eighth Daniel Halangahu has rejected a deal estimated at $420,000 a year from Irish club Ulster to remain a Waratah next year.

After months of negotiations with seven Australian and international clubs, including a massive play from the Western Force, Halangahu committed to NSW Rugby last night, joining Kurtley Beale, Phil Waugh and Rob Horne as players who've pledged their allegiance to the Waratahs in the past fortnight.

Originally offered a two-year deal, the 25-year-old nutted out a one-year contract, designed to allow him to take the big money on offer in European rugby should he not cement himself as the Waratahs' first-choice No.10 by season's end.

"It's a big financial sacrifice by staying. The money didn't even compare, but I wanted to stick around because I feel I've got something to prove to myself - that I can really make it at this level," Halangahu told The Sun-Herald from South Africa.

Holy crap. $420K for Hangers ? :eek:

I quite rate Hangers, despite him listening to Kurtley Beale's calls to put through stupid chip kicks, and am pleased he's staying. But the guy has a low ceiling and won't be much more than a solid 2nd tier player. Do these European clubs know there's supposed to be a global finanical crisis on ?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's imperative for Australian rugby a young five-eighth join the Force next year to fill Giteau's spot. I don't particularly care who, but as there are only four number 10 jumpers on offer in Oz rugby we simply must use the one in Perth to develop depth in this vital position. Lealiifano, To'omua, or even Cooper. Would it be possible for the Force to get SNK to renegotiate his Welsh contract?

$420k for Hangers? Holy shit. I wonder if he took the time to have a chat with Chris Malone, Paul Warwick, Manny Edmonds or Brock James about European rugby. I reckon there'll be times next year when he'll regret not taking the money.

Aaaaahhhhhhh, I agree with Naza.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Like I said in the other thread, the Tahs are really feeling the loss of Djuro Sen. Whoever is in charge of media this year is allowing the players and coaches to say all sorts of nonsense.

"Maybe it'll turn out him playing somewhere else in the side, at No.12," Halangahu said. "I'd rather not play any wider than No.10. A few years ago I went from No.10 to 12, and Kurtley played 10, but that didn't quite work out. Hopefully, this way it will. I'm probably in the side for the way I control things, so from No.10 I can control guys around the park, and at No.12 Kurtley can get a bit more time and play his free style of football and fit in his flashes of brilliance.

"He can play his own game and show off his attacking brilliance without having to worry about the structure of the side."

For me, that is not the right way to be talking about your teammate. It seems like the Waratah players and coaches are communicating with each other through the media.

How fucking hard is it? Compliment, compliment, compliment. It makes you look better.

Gahu: "Kurtley is a terrific player and I enjoy playing with him. Maybe there's room in the side for both of us, but I'm just happy to run out in a Waratahs jersey."

Hickey: "The Cheetahs have played some very good football at times this year and we rate their attack very highly. There's no easy games in the Super14."

Wisemantel: "I don't know what I'm doing and I've fucked the Tahs this year but maybe I can get a skills or fitness job somewhere in Europe."

T

TOCC

hmm, i sense this is going to be one of those decisions that Halangahu regrets for the rest of his life

F

formeropenside

Lindommer said:
It's imperative for Australian rugby a young five-eighth join the Force next year to fill Giteau's spot. I don't particularly care who, but as there are only four number 10 jumpers on offer in Oz rugby we simply must use the one in Perth to develop depth in this vital position. Lealiifano, To'omua, or even Cooper. Would it be possible for the Force to get SNK to renegotiate his Welsh contract?

$420k for Hangers? Holy shit. I wonder if he took the time to have a chat with Chris Malone, Paul Warwick, Manny Edmonds or Brock James about European rugby. I reckon there'll be times next year when he'll regret not taking the money.

Aaaaahhhhhhh, I agree with Naza.

disagree - maybe if they could produce their own players, but as a bunch of parasites. There are a whole bunch of talented young 10's out there - mostly Queenslanders, of course - and we need depth at the real teams we have, not propping up a failing bastard child of the ARU

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
TOCC said:
hmm, i sense this is going to be one of those decisions that Halangahu regrets for the rest of his life

+1. If it's true I don't think an offer like that is going to come along for him again...

Status
Not open for further replies.