• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken European Cup 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
How about Edinburgh eh? That was a good result for shaking up the established order of the competition and a great result for Scottish rugby.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
20 minutes gone, Leinster 10 Cardiff 3. Sexton missed a sitter of a pen and has a chance to make up for it now. Cardiff looking a little rattled but they're still in this one.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How did you guys snare Thorn, very lucky, at his best moving bodies in the rucks and creating a powerful scrum.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bit of luck with injuries to 2nd rows as it turns out and he was available on a short term contract. He's really made a big difference to the scrum and in the loose he's like and extra back row.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Half time Leinster 27 Cardiff 3. Some would say it's all over but they can draw inspiration from Leinster's comeback in last years final. Leinster need to keep the foot on the pedal in the 2nd half.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
60 minutes gone, Leinster 34 Cardiff 3. It would be a magic 20 minutes of rugby if Cardiff came back now. Thorn and Fitzgerald off for Toner and McFadden. BOD must be feeling good as he was asked to give them 60 minutes at the start.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Final score Leinster 34 Cardiff 3, fair play to Cardiff for keeping going right to the end. No team in the world would have lived with Leinster today. Still a tricky away semi final to come.

Rob Kearney must be the best full back in the world at the moment, he was immense today.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Well done to Edinburgh. I have seen them them play some truly crap rugby in the Rabo this season but they did themselves proud last night. When Ireland teams aren't playing I usually go for French teams in the HC, but I switched away from Toulouse during the game due to the unusual energy and enthusiasm of the Scots and their courage playing with 13 men for a spell.

Jauzion was no good playing fullback when I saw him recently and he wasn't any better last night. As for winger Matanavou: he can be both brilliant and brittle, and when the ball gets hoisted high he sees demons and drops it. But the main culprits were the forwards who were not allowed to play by the blue heeler Scots.

I enjoyed watching the game though was annoyed by the commentators we got in Oz, well, mostly by Martin Gillingham - one couldn't blame Scott Hastings for carrying on. Gillingham is a Pom and he was as unctuous as Uriah Heep about the French team. Even though Edinburgh were the better team in the whole game he was still prattling on deep into the 2nd half, about: if Toulouse don't watch out they could lose this one. They were losing it cold.

In a way the demise of Toulouse in the HC was not surprising: they had finished the pool stage poorly and were lucky to qualify. Guy Noves must have been pissed off with the loss but you never know with the French. In think that if Toulouse had a choice between winning the Top14 and the HC at the start of this season they would have chosen the Top14. I wouldn't say the same about Clermont who won the Top14 two years ago but have never won the HC.

At least Noves didn't get frog-marched out of Murrayfield by the cops after this game as he did last time.

Leinster played better than they have recently against the Sprays and even Munster. At times they looked like 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag. But those games were not about then, they were about the HC Quarter. Leinster have a good acquisition in Brad Thorn. He may be 37 years old but he will add more to the team than just what you see. He will lift younger players in the club with his hard work ethic and his moral fibre - and also be a leader during a game.

It was good to see Drico back a couple of weeks ago. He's lost some weight and looks sharper, though during those Rabo games he was a bit off his stroke. His pass to Kearney to score in the HC though was that of the old master.

It is surprising that somebody like him is still interested in playing at the top level but I'd keep him in the Ireland side as long as he wants to be there. I have been saying for over 10 years on rugby forums that he is really a 12 who is playing 13; so when the Ireland selectors finally wake up and ease D'Arcy aside, I may get my wish to see him start at inside centre.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Ulster were dominating Munster for the first 30 minutes, however Munster managed to break the Ulster line. 19-10 to Ulster at half time.

Ruan Pienaar lethal with the boot.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ulster win 22-16

Great game but I think rugby needs a rule change, with 3 mins to go Ulster had a scrum and it kept getting reset and dragged out for 2 mins. I reckon in the last 5 mins of a game whenever a scrum is reset the clock must stop.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Was talking to a mate on Saturday night about how the coverage for various forms of the game is spread 4 channels on Foxtel.

You think FoxSports would look at buying the rights for all and making a 24 hour channel? Super Rugby, Championship, June Tests, Spring Tours, ITM Cup, Currie Cup, Aviva, Pro 12, Top 14, Heineken, 6 Nations that's more than enough content.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was talking to a mate on Saturday night about how the coverage for various forms of the game is spread 4 channels on Foxtel.

You think FoxSports would look at buying the rights for all and making a 24 hour channel? Super Rugby, Championship, June Tests, Spring Tours, ITM Cup, Currie Cup, Aviva, Pro 12, Top 14, Heineken, 6 Nations that's more than enough content.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be worth their investment...

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It is surprising that somebody like him is still interested in playing at the top level but I'd keep him in the Ireland side as long as he wants to be there. I have been saying for over 10 years on rugby forums that he is really a 12 who is playing 13; so when the Ireland selectors finally wake up and ease D'Arcy aside, I may get my wish to see him start at inside centre.

BOD gave a very interesting interview before the game. He said that his injury and the retirement of his good friend Shaggy motivates him. He loves playing rugby and says he's not planning anything beyond the end of the season. That if his body feels up for it he'll go another year rather than setting a retirement date in his mind.

So games like that motivate him as he's always got in his mind that it could be his last time to play in the competition and he really wants to win as much as possible before he retires.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Didn't see yesterday's games as I was travelling but very interesting line up for the semis.

Ulster v Edinburgh. This will be a really good and close game I think as it's two squads who aren't used to being in the semi final so it's all about who can deal with the ocassion best.

Clermont v Leinster. Leinster are by far the best side in the compeition but Clermont have home advantage. If Leinster don't perform like they did against the Blues and Clermont get some early momentum in the game it will be a very tough day for them.

On paper it looks like an Ulster v Leinster final but in reality all 4 teams have a realistic chance to make the final.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Unfortunately, it wouldn't be worth their investment...

Also a lot of the NH rights are bought by sky sports part of the same group as Fox. But certain games like 6Ns home games for the Lions teams are covered by protectionist laws that mean they have to be on free to air TV. So if they can't get them to show in the UK and Ireland they wont get them for the international market. As you've said the market wouldn't be worth the investment.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I thought my Munster team was going to pull another game out of their arses after being 19-0 down at one stage, but it was not to be. I don't think they would last in Super Rugby if they played in that comp like they do in the Rabo and HC: they'd be penalised off the park.... not that Ulster were angels: no team with Johan Muller in it is.

Munster lost their mojo in the HC last season but I have no doubt that they will get it back, though not necessarily next year.

Well done to Ulster who rose last year with their South African add-ons; particularly Pienaar who wouldn't have to buy too many drinks in Belfast these days. Their forwards were at the Red Tide like wolverines and just when Munster started to remember who they were and started clawing back the score, Ulster came again. Madman Ferris of Ulster caused a lot of damage when he was let out of his cage for the game and that individual try by young winger Gilmore will be a hit on YouTube for a long time to come.

It should be a decent match between Ulster and Edinburgh, not a semi I would have picked without the help of a dart board.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've watched every Clermont game this year available on Oz TV through Setanata and that was their best game of the season, let alone their best away game, though that would not be saying much.

It was good to see their scrum dominating at the beginning of the match as they have had a hard time in the Top 14 sometimes with LHP Domingo out for the season early and Zirakashvili missing for a while. Rougerie had a stormer and Sivivatu had the best game for Clermont that I have seen.

Bonnaire and Kayser....you could go on and on. Aussie Brock James, the Man of the Match, had a terrific game and even made a tackle. He gets the yips every now and then but like a mental patient he "had a good day".

Sarries play meat and potatoes rugby together like the Borg and they don't really have a Plan B except winding up Schalk Brits every now and then and letting him go; but the yellow submarine torpedoed him and the rest of the enemy Saracens.

It should be a cracking semi between Clermont and Leinster and hopefully worthy of a final. The Irish lads, the current champions, will be favoured because of their recent history of playing big games in the HC, but you never know: if the yellow submarine plays like it did yesterday they could sink another ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.