• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken European Cup 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dunno if its you or the laaitie but I cant get it loaded.

Righto my second attempt.
Janlu1.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
On 2nd thoughts T78 don't worry about the cap for me but I'll take one of those yellow and green jobs

On a more serious note - I had to stay away from this thread because I didn't get around to finish watching all my recordings until last night and didn't want to see a spoiler.

WTF has happened to last year's finalists Northampton? They played well enough in parts losing to ROG's heroics in Round 1 but against Scarlets in Round 2 they looked like they were playing away after a bad road trip - but they were playing at home. Scarlets were impressive in the 1st half and the Wobs had better expect a few bombs from Priestland next week as he sent a few to the Saints.

Castres were very good as many French teams are a home. Munster weren't at the races in the 1st quarter but came back in the 2nd half. I don't know what Dougie Howlett is drinking over there but I hope the Wobs down a few pints; he's playing like a spring chicken. And how good is 6. O'Mahony playing? He looked good when I saw him playing last year but he looks like a test player now.

Castres were bloody tough at the end and, with the match drawn, ROG slotted a droppie after 80 minutes. That's the second HEC match in a row he has won the game like that. I've seen the lad miss a few in his day but at the minute he's looking like he could open a safe with his right foot.

Treviso v. Ospreys was a cracking drawn game. Treviso have won HEC games before against more fancied visitors and there were no flukes in this result, just good hard rugby with a bit of brilliance too. If anything the Sprays were lucky to draw with a penalty kick in the last minute. I see that Brendan Williams is still running around though he's 49 years old.

Another great round IMO; can't wait until it starts up again.

PS: T78 posted some UTube videos of O'Gara's FG to win in R1. Here is a radio description of the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NazVO3WnK0Q&feature=related

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Saints changed their 10 from Myler to Lamb and I think it might have interrupted their flow a bit LG. Have looked pretty average in the Ap as well this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't know if one player has made such a difference. The whole team has been average, literally, when I have seen them this year, even taking into account the RWC period when they had 8 players missing. I forget some of the games I have seen them play this year but they were poor against Worcester and Quins. Their best game this year I can recall is probably their Round 1 HEC loss at Thomond Park. At lest they showed up to play.

But Leicester have been even worse. They had 12 players missing for the RWC and they've had injuries too, but even so they have been a shadow of themselves. Was their win last weekend against Ulster their first home win of the season? If so, it's an incredible stat.

As for the Exiles: as you indicated: it looks like they are out of the HEC. Cardiff played OK but you have to beat teams like that. I used to follow them but there's so many changes in personnel I don't know some of the players now.

I'd like to know what the Quins players are drinking and order some for the Waratahs. They're unbeaten this season aren't they? Who would have thunk up that as the situation at the end of November?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Great win by Leinster today, BP win by half time. Took the foot off a little in the 2nd half. Nice piece of clearing out at ruck time by Glasgow when they got Andrew Small when he stray a little to close to the breakdown. Good return to form by Heaslip, O'Brien had a quiet game and was taken off midway through the 2nd half. By the time the next pool game comes around he'll be back to his best I'm sure. I thought O'Malley had a great game, ran some good lines and rewarded with 2 tries. There's so much young talent in Ireland at the moment just bursting for a chance on the international stage.

Montpellier gave Bath a good game today. The difference for Bath in the first half was Donald and also the fact Bath knew a defeat meant they were out. Gorgodze a lot quiter today but came into the game in the 2nd half. Was good to see Ollie Barkley come on in the 2nd half after being out for so long. Don't rate him as an amazing player but no one likes to see a player break their leg.
Thought Leinster were superb in that first half. Best Heaslip has played for ages and Luke Fitzgerald best player on the field for me. Toner is playing very well and pleased to see Cronin starting, on merit IMHO. SOB looks like he has got a bit smaller to me. Playing more of the classic 7 role maybe? Munster are getting better with each game and POC is the best second row in the world right now, he is simply awesome.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Hello again, Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but the hieneken cup has taken its toll on the welsh team that meet you in Cardiff on the 3rd dec
Adam Jones................ injured
Paul James .................injured
Alun Wyn-Jones .........injured
Luke charteris............ Injured
Dan Lydiate................injured
Jamie Roberts ............injured
George North..............injured
Liegh Halfpenny........... injured

Mike phillips,.......... James Hook.......... Liegh Byrne.......... Andy Powell,........... Gareth delve, Unavailable, because of French, English, as well as Australian club commitments
Can't believe WRFU agreed to this game, the regions must be livid that they get the players back for three weeks and off they trot for a high impact friendly, incredible but will make things easier for any teams playing welsh opposition in HEC round 3 and fortunately Munster ae playing scarlets!?!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I don't know if one player has made such a difference. The whole team has been average, literally, when I have seen them this year, even taking into account the RWC period when they had 8 players missing. I forget some of the games I have seen them play this year but they were poor against Worcester and Quins. Their best game this year I can recall is probably their Round 1 HEC loss at Thomond Park. At lest they showed up to play.

But Leicester have been even worse. They had 12 players missing for the RWC and they've had injuries too, but even so they have been a shadow of themselves. Was their win last weekend against Ulster their first home win of the season? If so, it's an incredible stat.

As for the Exiles: as you indicated: it looks like they are out of the HEC. Cardiff played OK but you have to beat teams like that. I used to follow them but there's so many changes in personnel I don't know some of the players now.

I'd like to know what the Quins players are drinking and order some for the Waratahs. They're unbeaten this season aren't they? Who would have thunk up that as the situation at the end of November?
Part of Saints problem is that the refs have got on top of their illegal scrummaging and are ensuring they stay square which has taken away some of their potency. Ashton is turning into a complete prima Donna, witness his not running back against scarlets which gifted them a try and saw Ashton jeered by the saints fans. Plus they are after blaming all their troubles on the refs which has created an unhealthy excuse/ blame culture. Don't buy the missing player thing, Leinster had more missing than anyone in the whole tournament and they are going fine even without BOD. English rugby is rotten to the core and the back biting and self interest of all parties extends from top to bottom. Apart from Saracens who are basically Saffer and Quins which are run by Conor O'Shea the English teams are underperforming massively and all the bull shit coming out of the RFU is a large part of the reason for it IMHO, my heart bleeds.

Logorrhea

Stan Wickham (3)
Gorgodza? Yeah he is a force of nature. Everybody knows him now from the RWC but those of us that have been watching the Top 14 for a while knew the quality of the best blindside flanker in the world (IMO); not that he always plays there.
Meh. A hugely destructive carrier of the ball, and at 6'5 and 18-19 stone its not surprising, but he missed what was a fairly simple tackle on Cronin to conceed the draw to Leinster.

I'm a fan of him, but the hype is getting silly really. Almost Chabal like.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Part of Saints problem is that the refs have got on top of their illegal scrummaging and are ensuring they stay square which has taken away some of their potency. Ashton is turning into a complete prima Donna, witness his not running back against scarlets which gifted them a try and saw Ashton jeered by the saints fans. Plus they are after blaming all their troubles on the refs which has created an unhealthy excuse/ blame culture. Don't buy the missing player thing, Leinster had more missing than anyone in the whole tournament and they are going fine even without BOD. English rugby is rotten to the core and the back biting and self interest of all parties extends from top to bottom. Apart from Saracens who are basically Saffer and Quins which are run by Conor O'Shea the English teams are underperforming massively and all the bull shit coming out of the RFU is a large part of the reason for it IMHO, my heart bleeds.

Eh? Sorry, but that's balls. Munster are missing Earls, Wallace, Flannery, Sherry and Jones from their match-day 23 alone.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Lee, As you say ospreys were lucky to get the draw, Cardiff Blues did fine in the first 20min against london Irish, but when they had a player sent off (LI) cardiff seemed to take their foot off the pedal a little, Irish came back and cardiff must have been relieved when the final whistle went.
I know the format of the HC can be a little infuriating but, its what we have, it starts geting serious now Munster Llanelli, mouth watering, like you cant wait.
As an aside most of the sky rugby pundits didn't give Llanelli scarlets a dogs chance against Northhampton. ;-)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ashton is turning into a complete prima Donna, witness his not running back against scarlets which gifted them a try and saw Ashton jeered by the saints fans.

It was bloody awful rugby wasn't it? I noticed it before Harrison and Barnes mentioned it and it was not a good look. I would have booed him too.

For those who didn't see the game: about 25 metres out from the Scarlets goal line, and Saints with the overlap, Ashton dropped a long pass that hit him right on the hands. He threw his head back in seeming petulance and stopped instead of reacting. Meantime Scarlets flyhalf Priestland picked up the pill then kicked it down the park. His winger North got to it first and kicked it through from the deck for Preistland to score.

Ashton couldn't have turned around and beaten North up the field, but it was a perfect example of bad rugby being played by England internationals in recent times.

Meh. A hugely destructive carrier of the ball, and at 6'5 and 18-19 stone its not surprising, but he missed what was a fairly simple tackle on Cronin to conceed the draw to Leinster.

I'm a fan of him, but the hype is getting silly really. Almost Chabal like.

Yeah - it's a bit like that with Gorgodzilla isn't it, but I'd still pick him in any team I follow any day of the week, including the Wallabies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can someone please get a video of that Ashton balls up? Would make my day, I don't know why people called Henry a smug bastard, to me Ashton holds that crown...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Here it is: it happens at about 2.40 but it's clearer on the head on replay.

[video=youtube;x3svXUFS9EA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3svXUFS9EA[/video]

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lee, As you say ospreys were lucky to get the draw, Cardiff Blues did fine in the first 20min against london Irish, but when they had a player sent off (LI) cardiff seemed to take their foot off the pedal a little, Irish came back and cardiff must have been relieved when the final whistle went.
I know the format of the HC can be a little infuriating but, its what we have, it starts geting serious now Munster Llanelli, mouth watering, like you cant wait.
As an aside most of the sky rugby pundits didn't give Llanelli scarlets a dogs chance against Northhampton. ;-)

Well, since ewe mention it:

I have only one thing to say.

Die, Turk Scum.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Well, since ewe mention it:

I have only one thing to say.

Die, Turk Scum.
I had been imbibing for most of the day when I posted that, Munster are a team that knows how to steal a game, ROG drop goals were sublime, of course the pack need to put him in a position to kick, so well done the pack, Die, turk scum, a little strong that paddy, By the way I don't support reginal rugby I'm a senghenydd boy, there's a long story there somewhere ,but I'm sure some one of your demeanour would not be interested.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
I had been imbibing for most of the day when I posted that, Munster are a team that knows how to steal a game, ROG drop goals were sublime, of course the pack need to put him in a position to kick, so well done the pack, Die, turk scum, a little strong that paddy, By the way I don't support reginal rugby I'm a senghenydd boy, there's a long story there somewhere ,but I'm sure some one of your demeanour would not be interested.

Sorry, mun, thought ewe were a Gwlader, and was simply observing the rituals. Die, Turk Scum is one of the all-time great threads by to that particular valley and the correct response to all things Llanelli, to the extent that "It's good, but it's no Die, Turk Scum" is a bye-word, and all because of the immortal reaction of Speedy, the one-eyed baby-munching Felinfoel-addled loon to end them all. To quote it in all its glory:

Speedy said:
aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh! m.m.m.m....m.m...uustt. not................bite.........errrrrgggghhhhh........ YOU FUCKING SCARLET HATING TWATS, JUST COS WE HAVE BEEN LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF EVERYTHING IN WELSH RUGBY SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME! WE`VE HAD MULLETS FOR YEARS, AND ITS ONLY KNOW YOU LOT ARE WEARING THEM. AND THATS ONLY COS BECKHAM WORE ONE. ITS ONLY THE SUCCESFUL TEAMS THAT ARE DESPISED. ITS ONLY THE SUPERIOR RACES THAT ARE HATED. BE CAREFUL ALL YOU SCARLETS BASHERS IN THIS THREAD, TREAD CAREFULLY, WOE TO OSPREYLIA IF THIS SLEEPING GIANT IS WOKEN, (WHAT THE FECK AM I ON, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRY NOT TO BITE FOR TOO LONG) CIMLA BOY, TAI, AND ALL YOU OTHER WAAAAANKERS! I`LL BE EATING YOUR KIDS TONIGHT, SO LEAVE SOME HP SAUCE NEXT TO THEIR BEDSIDE TABLE! SAES BLOKE, OF ALL THE PEOPLE TO TAKE THE PISS OUT OF THE TURKS YOU ARE OF NO MORAL STANDING WHAT SO EVER. MONGREL OF EUROPE , WIND YOUR NECK IN. IT REALLY MAKES ME HAPPY TO SEE HOW MUCH US TURKS PISS YOU TWATS OFF! LOL! CAN`T WAIT FOR GaRTEH`S NEXT INTERVIEW. I HOPE WE SIGN ANOTHER DOZEN FOREIGNERS JUST TO SEE YOU ALL HAVE CRONS ON HERE! THERE ARE SOME ARSEHOLES ON HERE THAT COME OUT WITH " I SUPPORT ALL WELSH REGION" BOLLOX! YOU ALL LOVE TO HAVE A GO AT THE SCARLETS, AND YOU ALL LOVE IT WHEN WE FAIL AT ANYTHING.ITS WHAT HAS DRIVEN THE REGION ON FOR YEARS JUST TO PISS YOU ALL OFF. BY THE WAY HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW HOUSES GALLAGHER AND GYPPO HAVE BOUGHT ON THE MACHYNYS GOLF COURSE? NICE TO SEE THOSE WRU LOANS WENT TO GOOD CAUSE. JUST THINK IT COULD HAVE BEEN WASTED ON NEATH! GLYN LLEWELYN HAD THE RIGHT IDEA, SUE THE COAL MINING CAVE DWELLING NEANDERTHALS! ALL THEY ARE FUCKING GOOD FOR, THEY DONT UNDERSTAND CURRENCY ANYWAY. A PICK AND A SHOVEL IS ALL THEY UNDERSTAND. AND A TONKING. IT ALWAYS RAINS SO MUCH IN NEATH , BECAUSE GOD COULD SEE THAT THE AVERAGE I.Q WAS SO LOW THEY NEEDED WATERING. I FANKING HATE YOU ALL YOU WUNKERS. I`M OFF TO PUT MY BEST DEMIN DUNGAREES ON, POP DOWN THE CAT TO LISTEN TO BILL RAY CYRUS. THERE`S CULTURE FOR YOU ARSEHOLES. ENJOY YOUR LITTLE SCARLETS BASHING THREAD. KEEP ON STEWING BASTARDS!

We think Speedy melts if he goes east of the Loughor. I'm meeting up with him and the other Uber-Turks at PyS. Quite looking forward to it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.