• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken Rugby in SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This must be the only new stadium in the world that has less corperate facilities than an older stadium in the same general area. I am quite suprised by this, I am not however suprised by having to use public transport, as annoying as this seems to start with, it is quite a good option if the public infrastructure is in place. I have no issue with getting a train to Lang Park for Reds games.

How much are drinks at a Rugby game in SA?

Not allowed to drink in the stands at Newlands. The have pubs all round in the Stadium.

See the thing with Newlands is that most supporters drive there early, have their braais all around the Stadium before the match starts, walk to stadium before kick off and braai after it ended. Its part of our rugby culture and you'll find this at all our rugby stadiums.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Obvious the LVDs and motors provide the music while braaiing. There are also a lot of schools around Newlands like Groote Schuur, Rondebosch, Bishops and they provide the hired parking on their rugby fields for R50. The main game starts at 17h00 but the braaiing usually starts from 10h00 if you want a decent spot.

V

val_b

Will people actually pay money to go watch? Will be interesting to see.

So that wonderful stadium in Cape Town will be become the white elephant it was predicted to be.

I have a mate living nearby and he reckons very little happens there except the odd soccer match.

I don't think it will be odd..
Regardless of the place the match will be held, I'm sure fans like me are always there to support their team.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Not allowed to drink in the stands at Newlands. The have pubs all round in the Stadium.

See the thing with Newlands is that most supporters drive there early, have their braais all around the Stadium before the match starts, walk to stadium before kick off and braai after it ended. Its part of our rugby culture and you'll find this at all our rugby stadiums.

This is the important bit. The rugby culture is not just about showing up and watching the team then filtering away. I grew up in Natal and Kings Park has the best pre and post game atmosphere of any ground I've been to, but I haven't been to Newlands. Kings Park (now called what, ABSA Stadium?) has two first division rugby clubs based on the fields surrounding the stadium. That means including the official training fields, there are the Collegians and Rovers rugby and hockey fields too. That's a lot of grass to park and party on, with bands, braais (bbqs) and music everywhere. A good experience for anyone who can get to SA and loves rugby imo, make sure to stick around for a while afterwards, also some pubs inside the stadium.

If Newlands is at all similar then I can fully understand their reluctance not to move to the new stadium. Rugby is a family loved game, parents and kids and aunts and uncles all drive down and make a day of it. It's incomprehensible to move to a stadium that won't be accessible for families, and gives up all the traditional atmosphere. What business would make such a change and risk killing off their majority fan base?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This is the important bit. The rugby culture is not just about showing up and watching the team then filtering away. I grew up in Natal and Kings Park has the best pre and post game atmosphere of any ground I've been to, but I haven't been to Newlands. Kings Park (now called what, ABSA Stadium?) has two first division rugby clubs based on the fields surrounding the stadium. That means including the official training fields, there are the Collegians and Rovers rugby and hockey fields too. That's a lot of grass to park and party on, with bands, braais (bbqs) and music everywhere. A good experience for anyone who can get to SA and loves rugby imo, make sure to stick around for a while afterwards, also some pubs inside the stadium.

If Newlands is at all similar then I can fully understand their reluctance not to move to the new stadium. Rugby is a family loved game, parents and kids and aunts and uncles all drive down and make a day of it. It's incomprehensible to move to a stadium that won't be accessible for families, and gives up all the traditional atmosphere. What business would make such a change and risk killing off their majority fan base?

Yep myself never been to Durban but I know it is even better. Some of my WP friends will go to Grote Schuur at 08h00 for a 17h00 kick off test to make sure he get a prime braai spot for his R50 parking fee. You surely dont have to dug deep to get the answer for this, its come from the way our schoolboy rugby culture is set up. Its just a given going to schoolboy winter sport to go early, arrive with the smell of braai, get your boerewors roll or bacon and egg bun, have your coffee and support the schools team from u7D to u13As Prymary School or U14F to U18A teams and enjoy a whole day out at the sport. To be honest this is my weeks entertainment. I'll wont xchange it for anything else. Its printed in your lifestyle and the same goes for the SA rugby supporter. Their entertainment for the weekend is a visit to Newlands and enjoy themself from early to late. It build up to the main match, sort of. I try to go there with the whole family.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Bloody lucky there is no drinking in the stands...

Like most kiwi's I know, I can't handle my piss & I also can't really control myself from having another. 8am start, for 5pm game.

I wouldn't remember a single game of the season if I was in SA.

Sounds bloody great though.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
The only thing is, Oom, you need to leave at 08:00 to make it for a 17:00 kick-off at all. The traffic around Hospital Corner...!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The only thing is, Oom, you need to leave at 08:00 to make it for a 17:00 kick-off at all. The traffic around Hospital Corner...!
:lmao:

Much easier now. They finished the M5 off road from the N1 and quick fire now to get to our beloved Newlands. Even my osse got excited about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.