• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Help Enforcer Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gagger..ers,

As many of you may know I've been posting on this forum for the better part of 4 years and I think it's fair to say I try to contribute to discussions with reasonably well thought out views (at least half the time).

Basically, it's getting to the point that I'm finishing up a degree in the field of Media/Communications and I could really really use some help in finding experience within any part of the rugby media or the media in general (include PR, journalism, communications management, etc... I'm willing to go pretty broad).

I know that some of you running the site have media accreditation and no doubt connections. Any help you guys could give me would be hugely beneficial, it could be as insignifigant as how you would approach the situation if you were me or as huge as a contact email of someone I could beg for experience.

Look forward to hearing from you guys and feel free to PM me as well.

Enforcer.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm aware this is pretty high on the desperation scale but I really could use the help and I'm not a new ring-in to G&G so I feel I've somewhat earned the right to at least ask.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think that Enforcer's request should be viewed as "pretty high on the desperation scale ". People use sites such as LinkedIn for the purpose of using their contacts to advance their careers, and often the contacts are fairly nebulous. By contrast at G&GR we're a real community and Enforcer is one of the major contributors to our community. That being so, he has more than "earned the right to at least ask".

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think that Enforcer's request should be viewed as "pretty high on the desperation scale ". People use sites such as LinkedIn for the purpose of using their contacts to advance their careers, and often the contacts are fairly nebulous. By contrast at G&GR we're a real community and Enforcer is one of the major contributors to our community. That being so, he has more than "earned the right to at least ask".

Thanks Bruce.

Over the past 2 years I've done some work for small media organisations but I've always felt they were just looking for cheap work rather than offering experiance that would benefit me in the long term. That's why I thought it was a good idea to ask here.

As far as linkedin goes, it's a great tool for people who have been in their industry for 2-3 years plus. For somebody like me it's largely people adding their mates and running up their number of connections with people they went to school with. At this stage people who are finishing up Uni don't offer much in terms of career progression.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'll ask around at the Tahs but they already have an intern there. Maybe the media manager has some ideas.

I will make some enquiries but first send me a PM and tell me your story. .

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'd suggest to start building your profile prior to approaching existing rugby outlets, that way you'll be better placed and happy with your rugby writing style when an opportunity does come up.

Start your own blog, and use it as a place to store your manifesto. Write for anywhere that will publish your content, and put links on your personal blog to everything you write that you're proud of.

Get active on Twitter. Read the profiles of the existing journos, then craft your own profile in a similar style. Use twitter to build a conversation and rapore with the jounros you respect, and with the provinces / aru media staffers.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mark White, the Force's head media and comms guy, resigned earlier this year. His position might be taken over by Elise Goodin who was the 2nd in command of M&C. Perhaps then Elise's former position would be available? It couldn't hurt to phone them and ask.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'll ask around at the Tahs but they already have an intern there. Maybe the media manager has some ideas.

I will make some enquiries but first send me a PM and tell me your story. .

I'll do that, thanks.

I'd suggest to start building your profile prior to approaching existing rugby outlets, that way you'll be better placed and happy with your rugby writing style when an opportunity does come up.

Start your own blog, and use it as a place to store your manifesto. Write for anywhere that will publish your content, and put links on your personal blog to everything you write that you're proud of.

Get active on Twitter. Read the profiles of the existing journos, then craft your own profile in a similar style. Use twitter to build a conversation and rapore with the jounros you respect, and with the provinces / aru media staffers.

Thanks, Ill do that.

I'd lover to help but I don't live in that world mate. Sorry.

Cheers, it's an intimidating one but it's interesting.

Mark White, the Force's head media and comms guy, resigned earlier this year. His position might be taken over by Elise Goodin who was the 2nd in command of M&C. Perhaps then Elise's former position would be available? It couldn't hurt to phone them and ask.

I think that role would be too much in demand for somebody who's set to be find year out of Uni in 2013. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Already filled by someone else.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Always enjoyed your contributions to Gaggerland, Enforcer.

Good luck with your hunt.

Professional Rugby Journalism in Oz leaves a lot to be desired. It seems like a sheltered workshop for the unemployable.

Same to be said for the various Media spin doctors. As Maverick (or Ice Man) said on Top Gun movie it is a "target rich environment" for anyone with any skills and competence provided one can get in the door.

Sound advice from Moses.

Some observations on your competition in this thread:
Fairfax journos never react to me using them as comment fodder. I continually rubbish Scoop Growden, Spiro Zavas and Matthew Burke but they don't seem to mind or don't know I exist.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Always enjoyed your contributions to Gaggerland, Enforcer.

Good luck with your hunt.

Professional Rugby Journalism in Oz leaves a lot to be desired. It seems like a sheltered workshop for the unemployable.

Same to be said for the various Media spin doctors. As Maverick (or Ice Man) said on Top Gun movie it is a "target rich environment" for anyone with any skills and competence provided one can get in the door.

Sound advice from Moses.

Some observations on your competition in this thread:

Thanks, I try pretty hard to contribute something because I do waste a whole heap too much time surfing this site during my allotted study time.

I see my future heading toward PR rather than journalism but there's a lot more organisations offering budding journalists a shot than PR guys. People jump between the professions so often that it's worth taking your shot in one even if you see yourself as the other.

I think it's going to be a tough next couple of years trying to get a start but hopefully it's fruitful after that. If worse comes to worse and it leads me to a career path I'm more suited too then that's fine, but I want to see if I can make something of it.

E

ellabroz

What about a blog with a heavy emphasis on Victoria rugby? If you wrote a regular article (weekly wraps - review and preview of each round. And a proper one rather than the dribble currently served) on the Dewar Shield, you'd probably get published on the VRU site or maybe pitch it to the Rebels.

Hopefully, if you show some form, you could eventually replace the buffoon at The Age, Stathi Paxinos. I doubt he knows one end of a football from the other!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
What about a blog with a heavy emphasis on Victoria rugby? If you wrote a regular article (weekly wraps - review and preview of each round. And a proper one rather than the dribble currently served) on the Dewar Shield, you'd probably get published on the VRU site or maybe pitch it to the Rebels.
Good advice - Amanda Shalala cut her teeth doing an excellent job of reporting the ARC for ABC online; 5 years later she's reading the news on ABC24.

how's my ; usage?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
He may be over the top, but how about shooting an email off to Peter Fitszimons at the SMH. Ask him on how he got his job in the media etc. I get the idea that he may help (especially if you massage his ego....) Buy I think he started by sending in articles on the sport and also had a 'story to tell'...being a player and what not.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Get on LinkedIn if you're not already enforcer. Have known a number of people that have had offers thrown their way. I know it's a 'dirty' game but maybe getting some experience with politics exposes you to a large network of people in the industry. Try local MPs, local Govt etc to serif there are opportunities.

Good luck.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hopefully, if you show some form, you could eventually replace the buffoon at The Age, Stathi Paxinos. I doubt he knows one end of a football from the other!

I really wouldn't be able to make it to many of the games, if somebody was starting a Vic rugby blogging endeavour and wanted my contributions I'd be keen but I tend to be doing my own rugby stuff on any given weekend.

Good advice - Amanda Shalala cut her teeth doing an excellent job of reporting the ARC for ABC online; 5 years later she's reading the news on ABC24.

Good idea, perhaps I should shoot her an email or a tweet.

He may be over the top, but how about shooting an email off to Peter Fitszimons at the SMH. Ask him on how he got his job in the media etc. I get the idea that he may help (especially if you massage his ego....) Buy I think he started by sending in articles on the sport and also had a 'story to tell'...being a player and what not.

He is a very interesting man isn't he. I'd love to find out about what kind of player he was back in the day, there's no footage on youtube that I could easily uncover.

Get on LinkedIn if you're not already enforcer. Have known a number of people that have had offers thrown their way. I know it's a 'dirty' game but maybe getting some experience with politics exposes you to a large network of people in the industry. Try local MPs, local Govt etc to serif there are opportunities.
Good luck.

I've thought about that kind of thing but I really don't have the knowledge. I mean, I read about it and I have an average understanding of politics but the entry level for understanding in that field is pretty high.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Writing material that you can hopefully get published on some websites or local papers is probably a good way to start. Building up a portfolio of material should help you land an actual job down the line or give you more ammunition to get an internship with a mainstream paper or television station.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I recommend doing what I did: Build your folio by writing sloppy articles for free for some backwater sports blog in the dank slums of the internet.

[shifty eyes]

:D

That is the best way to go about it though. Since writing for GAGR, Roar and the like, I have built pretty solid connections within the Rebels media unit, and general organisation.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Enforcer

Mate, I can't really help you out with that one but to say all the best of luck. I admire you putting your best foot forward.

Maybe write some articles for the front page of this site? Surely it can't hurt in building up a portfollio of work moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.