• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hickey's future

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Red Rooster

Everyone knows that Foley will be the coach. I thought it was interesting that Hickey was quick to nominate the problem areas in detail v Cheetahs and they are all in Foley's current portfolio ( Hooker change, lineout performance, scrum performance). I wonder if Hickey was smiling on the inside?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
He has always annoyed me somehow. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the new age psycology speak he uses. like "the players owned that performance"

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Foley must be the most promising head coach we've got going around. Would love to see what he can do with the Tahs.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hickey in my mind has failed to instil a rugby culture or the necessary systems to win over his players and their supporters.

NSWRU, when they appoint their new coach, have to accept that he alone will be driver of success both on and off the field.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was impressed with him on the rugby club, I think he is pretty effective coach who doesn't get phased too often.

I thought it was interesting that he thought the side lost confidence in their structures when things weren't going their way and decided to do it on their own and play as 15 individuals. To me it happened early when Burgess took a quick tap and we should have taken the easy points, and a little later when Mumm decided to kick to the corner instead of for goal

I also thought his tactical explanation on Ulugia was plausible, whether you agree with it or not. (he wasn't pulled, he was always only playing the first 30 odd minutes as a tactic to match their big scrum)

Now whether that is the down to the coach only and putting the assistant coach in place, I have my doubts. Foley would have been deeply involved in the Ulugia decision.

S

Skippy

Gone.
Excellent club coach.... the next step up has proven too much for him.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Gone.
Excellent club coach.... the next step up has proven too much for him.

Has it proven to much?
The tahs havnt gone backward under him, he is at the very least very compitent at his job. He hasn't progressed them to the stage of world beaters. they never have been though

Has any Australian coach really done better? Link will get brought up, but has he installed the culture or inherited it, does the fact in his years at the tahs he achieved only a smudge more than hickey ignored for the. Reds one good year?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The varied personae of fatprop as revealed by his frequently changing avatars are beginning to worry me. Counselling perhaps if it's not too far advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.