• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Queensland Reds, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Friday 26 May

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
What were the Reds doing ?
Vunivalu plays like he doesn't even care about putting effort in and the team looked they were legit trying to let the highlanders win at times in the secondary half. Very weird. Must have been gassed.
The box kicking was so bad and they hardly tried to run the ball in the second half.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I know zer0 and W.O aint fans but that is why Bar-Kays Fakatava is in my RWC squad. Weber or Christie wouldve been content to just spin that wide for Scrote Gregory to drop again, game over.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah. If the Reds can’t win in New Zealand losing Uru before the game and then both captains and another lock on the back of Smith and Jones and obviously Tupou then they can just give up now!
That’s why you have a squad. It’s that sort of acceptance and lack of accountability that breeds so well in this QLD franchise. Excuses are like bums.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
There were so many nice team plays last night. Lynagh with JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) outside of him brings confidence. Flook reads a game very well. McReight and Wilson were at a new level.
Thomas' poor performance in attack aside, the Reds' backline really came down a peg when O'Connor was subbed for Paisami - a lot less cohesion and potency. Despite his strong performance, I would've liked to have seen Flook pulled for Paisami instead of JOC (James O'Connor).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Really disappointing loss, considering all the Reds went through to be in a winning position just a couple of minutes from time. One of the gutsiest performances by an Australian team this season.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thomas' poor performance in attack aside, the Reds' backline really came down a peg when O'Connor was subbed for Paisami - a lot less cohesion and potency. Despite his strong performance, I would've liked to have seen Flook pulled for Paisami instead of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor).
Yeah, really needed O'Connor out there late. I won't be surprised if we see Flook push out to the wing next week for Grealy with Paisami at 13. That's the only way I can see Paisami starting.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
For those playing along at home and not checking the Reds' thread, Vest fractured his C7 vertebrae. The outcome definitely shouldn't determine the sanction, but it's difficult to fracture a vertebrae without direct and forceful contact.

In hindsight, he really should've been medi-cabbed off too.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Possession almost always has a poor correlation with dominance in rugby.

If you carry the ball for phases on end and do nothing with it and then give up simple points in return you can dominate possession and get smashed.
Yes agree. A strong correlation to poor execution (doing nothing) and equally poor defence (leaking simple points).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes agree. A strong correlation to poor execution (doing nothing) and equally poor defence (leaking simple points).

Well yeah, I'm not saying that was what happened last night (it was a very close game that went down to the wire) but the main thing I was pointing out that a possession advantage doesn't in any way correlate to being the dominant team in rugby.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
For those playing along at home and not checking the Reds' thread, Vest fractured his C7 vertebrae. The outcome definitely shouldn't determine the sanction, but it's difficult to fracture a vertebrae without direct and forceful contact.

In hindsight, he really should've been medi-cabbed off too.
Adds more fuel to the fire when the Reds speak to World Rugby about all the missing head knocks this year.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Adds more fuel to the fire when the Reds speak to World Rugby about all the missing head knocks this year.
Yeah, as others have said, it's the lack of consistency that's the biggest frustration.

There were two clear-cut cases in this game which were broadcast, replayed on the big screen (O'Connor's definitely was), likely reviewed by the TMO, and probably met the YC threshold - yet there was not even a discussion on-field. And we don't even know where Tate picked up a knock

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I'm watching the replay. What a try by Liam I hope he's a OK. A try doesnt worth a long injury