• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders V Rebels - Sat 20th @2:35

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Round 14 - both on Saturday 27/05:

Drua v Moana 2:05 NZT

Blues v Hurricanes 7:05 - will likely determine the venue for their QF

Edit: d'oh! Wrong thread.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was interested to leave it a day or so to see if anyone brought up Canham's kick into Smith's face. I noticed it in game , and wasn't posting etc as had visitors, and then left it to see who else thought it was worth talking about (especially after talking about tip tackle). I did note that Nugget was showing a big mark down face in interview after game.
Just if the tip was a yellow surely this was a red?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the wide shot it looks quite deliberate from Canham. He appears to be looking at Smith when he does it.

I agree he's probably lucky not to get cited. I imagine if there was better footage of it he probably would have been.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I was interested to leave it a day or so to see if anyone brought up Canham's kick into Smith's face. I noticed it in game , and wasn't posting etc as had visitors, and then left it to see who else thought it was worth talking about (especially after talking about tip tackle). I did note that Nugget was showing a big mark down face in interview after game.
Just if the tip was a yellow surely this was a red?
Yes - seemed a Red. But it also looked like Smith threw a punch to me which should also be red (after initially holding his foot which started things off). I found it interesting that Williams didn’t look more closely at the whole incident and also the earlier incident with Canham where the Highlanders 5 ran on to a bit of push and shove to knock him over. Could easily have been yellow too and probably should have which might have nipped all the niggle in the bud. But Williams game management was pretty dire across the board.

Canham needs to be careful. The Highlanders in general and Smith in the particular case seemed intent on baiting Canham and he fell for it and is probably lucky not to have ended up with a suspension out of it. I’d imagine oppositions will take note that he takes the bait.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I like Canham's hard edge, it's what made Swinton great until he took it too far and never learnt to control it. We need these type of players who like to physically impose themselves. Gleeson is another.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Oh wow, I didn't realise it was Cully! Agree - he was a weekly must-read when he published through SMH.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Looks pretty incidental to me. Play on, no citation
I am happy for it to be left, was just interested to see reactions, nothing much incidental about it, he is looking at him as he does it. I actually noticed it in game, and shrugged my shoulders, but then I played in 70s and 80s so would hardly of blinked ;)

Reactions: Tex

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I like Canham's hard edge, it's what made Swinton great until he took it too far and never learnt to control it. We need these type of players who like to physically impose themselves. Gleeson is another.
I like locks to have a hard edge too. But it’s no point if you overreact to niggle. Learning to control it is all I am looking for.

I get why some are saying there wasn’t much too if - but it was a kick to the head. Could’ve easily been a red.

One thing that seemed obvious was that the Highlanders were targeting him. Which suggests to me he has already been identified as someone who can be baited into overreacting. You can guarantee it’ll continue.

It certainly hasn’t helped either Swinton or Darcy Swain’s career.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do find it ironic Smith is complaining to the press about poor on field behaviour.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Because I dislike the way Aaron Smith plays the game and the lack of respect he shows to his fellow player. Incredibly good player, terrible onfield behaviour.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I like locks to have a hard edge too. But it’s no point if you overreact to niggle. Learning to control it is all I am looking for.

I get why some are saying there wasn’t much too if - but it was a kick to the head. Could’ve easily been a red.

One thing that seemed obvious was that the Highlanders were targeting him. Which suggests to me he has already been identified as someone who can be baited into overreacting. You can guarantee it’ll continue.

It certainly hasn’t helped either Swinton or Darcy Swain’s career.
Canham is only 21/22 - he will mature

Reactions: TSR

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Because I dislike the way Aaron Smith plays the game and the lack of respect he shows to his fellow player. Incredibly good player, terrible onfield behaviour.
And you forgot, he doesn't play for your team ;) Which is what the real problem is:D

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Aaron Smith's contribution to the game is having the *sweetest* pass since Bernie Larkham, and that's no small thing.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And you forgot, he doesn't play for your team ;) Which is what the real problem is:D
Except that only about 35 players play for the Reds and plenty of the players I really enjoy watching are neither Reds nor Wallabies. Quite a few are All Blacks and some of them don’t have the playing ability if Aaron Smith.