• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hitlist

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

spectator said:
but to suggest that their success was borne off the back of 'hungry mongrel behaviour, bordering on psychotic', is a bit of a stretch.

I didnt say their success was borne of those qualities - I said that's what I want in a player - particularly a forward.
But thanks anyway - at least we started something and it appears a lot are in agreeance.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
To carry the debate a little further, how would you describe John Eales? Not a psychotic mongrel like Sam Scott-Young, or even as agressive as Toutai Kefu, but a peerless forward nonetheless.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
spectator said:
To carry the debate a little further, how would you describe John Eales? Not a psychotic mongrel like Sam Scott-Young, or even as agressive as Toutai Kefu, but a peerless forward nonetheless.
Yeah, Eales was really a freak in that he looked like a twig, sounds worse than Thorpey and shouldn't (and didn't) scare the skin off a rice pudding, but was unbelievably skilled, and remarkably tough in that he just did the work, and seemed to mostly avoid injuries. Remember when he first became captain and many howled against it because he seemed too soft to captain? He made the leading by quiet example style his own. Pity we don't have others made of the same stuff (the unbreakable stuff I mean)...

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
rugbywhisperer said:
the 9 and 10 - this used to be our main gear - the point from which it all happened. Now we have a mismash of crosed gender thought, liberal thinking, human rights and absolutely no bloody action - all great athletes - very few of them a real rugby player.
Back to your original post RW, and I agree with your sentiment that there might be issues at 9 and 10. The halves is the point from which it all happens and it just doesn't seem to be happening. Burgess, good athlete, not the best number 9. Giteau great athlete, not a number 10.

R

rugbywhisperer

spectator said:
Maybe my original adjectives may have been extreme but it was more to make a point. Aggressiveness v timidness. But we really do need to raise our level of intensity - Thorn last Saturday gained so much respect from me by his attitude - he was never going to lose that game if he could do anything about it and most of the AB and Saffer player are the same - they will not die wondering whereas it seems to me at least that our player accept defeat or a score against as part of the game rather than being something to be avoided at all costs.
Are there any Finane clones out there - that would be a good start.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The kiwis in particular at very good at playing better as the game goes on. The Wallabies have made a habit of starting well and getting worse. They do seem to lack the mental intensity to overcome the physical burden in the second half.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A lot of this goes back to the players' physical preparedness. Spiro Zavos made the remark over on RugbyHeaven he suspects a lot of top level Australian rugby players aren't fit enough, and I suspect he might be right. The Wallabies' habit of fading late in games after leading at half-time smacks of tiredness stemming from a lack of petrol. And mental fatigue and mistakes quickly follow physical frailty. Going back to the Super 14 the Tahs let in a few too many tries in their game against the Lions in Jo'burg, the last in a three match tour. Saving one of those tries may've put them into the semi-final just up the road in Pretoria; they weren't fit enough. I can't immediately think of any examples for the Force and the Brumbies but to my mind the poor physical preparation of the Reds the last few years has led to far too many injuries, a major contributor to their woeful performances. I reckon a new strength and conditioning coach would vastly improve the Reds' spot on the ladder next year. This lack of fitness then flows over to the Wallabies and we see them continually blowing leads. Time for Steve Nance to return?

Spiro's article: http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/...fit-for-the-job/2009/08/24/1251001857058.html

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
spectator said:

My impression of Eales - and from anecdotal evidence - is that he was very clear about his expectation of his players. If he thought you didn't have your shit together, you knew about it.

Basically it's all about respect, anyway. If you respect the coach, the captain, the jersey, you'll put in 100% every game. If you've got some doubts there, you might not.

Bring back Phil.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
spectator said:

Gormless softcock who Rod Macqueen tried to dump as captain.
Soft in contact.
Owned by Mark Andrews, Ian Jones & Robin Brooke, Scott Murray, Martin Johnson.
Embarassing Ian Thorpe-esque voice.
Least inspiring Wallaby captain ever.
Sidekick of Wallaby great David Giffen.
The reason Tom Bowman burnt out so quickly, carrying pissweak Eales' load.
The most overrated forward in the history of the sport.
Useless at everything other than lineouts.

Other than that he was alright.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scarfman said:
Bring back Phil.

Baxter's days are numbered.

Waugh on the other hand is done. Only he just doesn't know it yet. He'll never play for the Wallabies again. He is doing well to hold down a spot in 1st grade club rugby. I've never seen a decline like it.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lindommer said:
A lot of this goes back to the players' physical preparedness. Spiro Zavos made the remark over on RugbyHeaven he suspects a lot of top level Australian rugby players aren't fit enough, and I suspect he might be right. The Wallabies' habit of fading late in games after leading at half-time smacks of tiredness stemming from a lack of petrol.

It stems from a lack of playing hard rugby games.

There is no Currie Cup or NPC. Our S14 sides are filled with 'elite' schoolboys whose season consists of 7 games against fellow silver spoon toffs. Scrums are uncontested at age level. And we're surprised our boys don't know what the fark has hit them ?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
naza said:
spectator said:

Soft in contact.

Every time naza starts to make any sense, he forgets to take the pills...

R

rugbywhisperer

naza said:
Scrums are uncontested at age level. And we're surprised our boys don't know what the fark has hit them ?

Where exactly are scrums uncontested at age level???
can someone call the nurse for Naza please

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
cyclopath said:
naza said:
spectator said:

Soft in contact.

Every time naza starts to make any sense, he forgets to take the pills...

The hangover is quite brutal today...why, why, why.

Back to the rugby - let's stop living in the past and reminiscing about the 'good old days'.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
You type and spell very well for someone who can barely stay upright at the keyboard. Or do you dictate these rants to your carer?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scarfman said:
You type and spell very well for someone who can barely stay upright at the keyboard. Or do you dictate these rants to your carer?

The value of a $30,000 a year GPS school education...the straitjacket can make it tough though.

Status
Not open for further replies.