• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hong Kong Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Any suggestions for costumes?

Will be interesting to see if the Aussies can better Las Vegas and Adelaide. I see they are going to be showing some of the matches live on Foxtel so I look forward to reading some reports here so I know what happened.

T

TOCC

pretty special scene watching Hong Kong win the Shield Final against Russia, crowd loved it

Australia havent been able to match there previous performances and are in the Plate Final against South Africa

Samoa and New Zealand are in the Cup Final

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well we won the plate final anyway, should be sitting about 4th on the table.

Doing really well considering all the injuries we've had.

Young 17 year old called Gill looks pretty sharp & James Stannard is going great guns.

T

tranquility

Gill seems to get a wrap everytime he plays. That has got to be a good sign

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Both the Plate and Cup finals were great games. Man I love the world sevens circuit. One of the best international sporting competitions out there.

Stannard, does he have a Super contract? Wasn't he at the Brumbies and is he still there? I'd like to see him playing some more Super rugby as there are worse scrums halves out there than him. At least he is contributing in this form of the game.

Well done Samoa too. Special win by the looks of it.

P

PhucNgo

the gambler said:
That was actually the one I was thinking. Just not sure about boot polish in hot humid conditions.

Don't go there - Daryl Sommers says NO to boot polish.

This looked like a seriously good tourny from all aspects. Footy standard from what I saw (admittedly only the final day) was better than I've seen for a while. There is going to be some serious competition develop in non-elite rugby playing nations in the lead up to 2016. Russia, USA, China...the list goes on. Maybe we should think of sponsoring a few players from these areas in future S14/15. Could only help to raise the profile and interest at both ends.

And the crowd, well whattya say, looked more like a dance club with the lights on, until they actually did turn the lights off - for the fireworks at the end.

C

chief

Not relevant, but I think the Adelaide Sevens needs to be moved to say Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney or Melbourne. It's not really attracting too many fans like it did. Maybe just for a year or two and then bring it back to Adelaide.

T

TOCC

chief said:
Not relevant, but I think the Adelaide Sevens needs to be moved to say Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney or Melbourne. It's not really attracting too many fans like it did. Maybe just for a year or two and then bring it back to Adelaide.

i cant imagine that moving the tournament away for a year or two is going to help its long term future in Adelaide..

If they are going to leave it in Adelaide then they need it there every year, if they are going to take it away, then take it away permantley. Adelaide Sevens is gradually building a reputation across Australia, with a bit more publicity that i expect it will slowly build in coming years it has the grounds to really turn into a decent event on the australian sporting calender.

However the rights to bid for the event will be renewed at the end of next year and there are rumours that the Gold Coast and Melbourne will launch strong bids for the tournament.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Certainly was a great tournament. I think. Well what I remember of it which isn't much.

The bits I do remember --
Was very impressed by Gill. Often Aussie players seem too eager to go into contact in 7's and when they do lose possession. Gill however threw his weight around and really imposed himself on the opposition in both attack and defence. Too use Lee Grant's test of how long players stay on the ground and what their 2nd and 3rd efforts are like then I thought he was one of the best in the whole tournament. Think he will be a great player if his body develops.

McCutch got a very nasty looking injury on Saturday and Quirk was on crutches on Sunday. Not sure how they have pulled up. Nick Edwards for the Yanks also got concussed and didnt play on Saturday or Sunday.

The Aussie women winning the girls section, and doing it without any help from the ARU. As a result they had to play under some stupid name but did an excellent job in making it through to the final where they smashed the Chinese girls. :thumb

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
the gambler said:
The Aussie women winning the girls section, and doing it without any help from the ARU. As a result they had to play under some stupid name but did an excellent job in making it through to the final where they smashed the Chinese girls

You have got to be kidding.
The ARU needs to be shot over this.

C

CanadianRugby

You have got to be kidding.
The ARU needs to be shot over this.
[/quote]

agreed

D

D

the gambler said:
Certainly was a great tournament. I think. Well what I remember of it which isn't much.

The bits I do remember --
Was very impressed by Gill. Often Aussie players seem too eager to go into contact in 7's and when they do lose possession. Gill however threw his weight around and really imposed himself on the opposition in both attack and defence. Too use Lee Grant's test of how long players stay on the ground and what their 2nd and 3rd efforts are like then I thought he was one of the best in the whole tournament. Think he will be a great player if his body develops.

McCutch got a very nasty looking injury on Saturday and Quirk was on crutches on Sunday. Not sure how they have pulled up. Nick Edwards for the Yanks also got concussed and didnt play on Saturday or Sunday.

The Aussie women winning the girls section, and doing it without any help from the ARU. As a result they had to play under some stupid name but did an excellent job in making it through to the final where they smashed the Chinese girls. :thumb

I talked to Quirkie on Sunday. He spent friday night and saturday night in the hospital. According to the doctors, he has bleeding and bruising on the spine. He got a knee in the back against China and the end of the match, diving on a ball that came out of China's scrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom