• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How are World Cups won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BRIX

The Poms are definitely our bogey team. Don't mean to sound dire to my Saffa & Pommy mates, but I can't help to visualize an epic ANZAC battle for the ages with a Trans-Tasman NZ v AUS final. It's like the stars are aligned...or something

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Looking at the draw you may meet England in the semi if all goes to plan. Interesting. Wish we could get them in the semis.

Well if they are the Aussie's bogey team we should see them in the finals.

http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/fans-less-confident-win-survey-4102031

Of all the teams in the competition, 39% rate South Africa as the All Blacks' most serious opponents followed by Australia (32%) and then a distant England (10%) and France (7%).

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
Am a bit surprised to see France at only 7% Could be that people are assessing thir current form which would be about right. In World cups however they can raise their game to great levels and are my tip to be the ones that could ( not saying they will ) upset the ABs.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I know it wasn't meant that way PB, but that does read as more than a little arrogant. If it's the ultimate WC final, perhaps you blokes should just have your own little world championship?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
The one that they did play together was such an exciting game. Sure it was a momentous occasion but the game I felt didn't live up to it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I know it wasn't meant that way PB, but that does read as more than a little arrogant. If it's the ultimate WC final, perhaps you blokes should just have your own little world championship?
I am old school and it all had to do about the old enemy and rivalry coming over a 100 years. For me when we play them it feel like a WC final everytime. Never rated the WC tournament anyway would rather paoch their nr1 rating anyday.

S

Skippy

Ok... so if we are not up to 'trench warfare' and to win, have to play our 'style' - why are we not running exciting backline moves off lineouts and scrums??? (first phase moves) like the Wallabies have always been renowed for... as a nation we run the best lines, decoys, angles, slight of hand moves in the world, always have and the current crop of players are more than capable of pulling these off. So if we arent' going for size, or have a forward pack to engage in trench warfare, and are not renowned as a defensive team... why are we not utilising first phase attacking backline moves????????????????? surely it complements our style, that we clearly need to, and are going to take into the WC, and represents our only chance of winning.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
They are won by the country's leader donning a jersey with the captain's number on it, wearing a team cap and knowing the players' names when shaking their hands. Being dropped into a practice session in a helicopter also helps and interrupting talkfests with Koreans to check the rugby results. Julia can do all of that and more.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
They are won by the country's leader donning a jersey with the captain's number on it, wearing a team cap and knowing the players' names when shaking their hands. Being dropped into a practice session in a helicopter also helps and interrupting talkfests with Koreans to check the rugby results. Julia can do all of that and more.

But will she still be leader? ;)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well, at the very least she can bring back the great tradition of the tracksuit perambulation.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
She can also have bi-breastal tatts extolling the virtues of Quade and Rocky- when she jiggles, they quiver and shake with their moves. She could do it although it may not inspire a good performance.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
I am old school and it all had to do about the old enemy and rivalry coming over a 100 years. For me when we play them it feel like a WC final everytime. Never rated the WC tournament anyway would rather paoch their nr1 rating anyday.

My order as a sports fan.

1. Test cricket no.1 ranking
2. RWC champ
3. Rugby test No.1 ranking
4. Tri Nations Champ
5. Super 15 champ

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mine would be:

1. Bledisloe Cup
2. Tri-Nations (last chance, by the way, thankyou Argies...)
3. Tests vs SA (cricket)
4. Tests vs England (cricket and rugby)
5. RWC
6. Super 15

I seriously do not care about world rankings in cricket or rugby.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
All this talk of running rugby, has me a little bit concerned. I have this terrible feeling come the end of October we will all be standing around shaking our heads, after finally having woken up to the fact that the thing we have been lusting after is in fact the booby prize.

Running Rugby = Style
World Cup Victory = Substance

I know which one I would preffer.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Charger, no reason you can't have both. As I have previously pointed out, our most successful teams of the last 30 years have played attractive footy that also won games. You just need to do the hard stuff up front before letting the backs play with it.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I totally agree with you on the fact that we don't have the cattle to win it any other way, and need to play to our strenghts, I just worry that if we put up a mediocre performance, people might try to justify the failure on the grounds that it was all OK because we played an attractive brand of footy.

I like Robbie, but the time for results has arrived. I would consider anything less than a grand final appearance a failed campaign.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There'll be no excuses if we don't win. Robbie has had the team for three years and had a chance to select the squad he wants and implement his game plan. If our campaign is a failure, I won't be trying to justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.