• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How long will Quade get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yes. we would have all liked to see a couple of the Reds players engaging in the state pasttime of getting their front teeth knocked out so they fit in better with the rest of the locals.

Unless you want to open a can of worms of quasi-xenophobic comments going back and forth, I think you should retract the above.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Agreed, but does that mean Quade should have got off or there should be more suspensions?

I would suggest the latter

More suspensions should be given out. Because they've stuffed this up, why is one particular individual being charged and not another? What's wrong with putting him on probation because of their lack of clarity on this issue?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Different referees make different decisions on the field.

Steve Walsh gave it a white card.

Elstadt should have been cited too, but the fact that no decision was made to do so in that game doesn't change the decision Walsh made in the game he was officiating.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Unless you want to open a can of worms of quasi-xenophobic comments going back and forth, I think you should retract the above.

And will you be asking the posters who dragged in SA conspiracies and jokes that the hit didn't matter because it was only Barnes to retract their comments as well?

No? Didn't think so.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
More suspensions should be given out. Because they've stuffed this up, why is one particular individual being charged and not another? What's wrong with putting him on probation because of their lack of clarity on this issue?

Just because every speeding driver isn't caught and booked, it doesn't mean you have the right to a free pass when you are caught for speeding.

That is not how the law works, he was caught, he failed the test (was it a punishable offense or not ) and was punished.

W

What2040

well, for all of the correctness blah blah IMO a yellpw was sufficent, the team copped a penalty, and 10 minutes one man down. Its a shame sookface was already falling otherwise it was around the shoulders. Would another player have suffered the same injury with that impact - who knows but I hope the result was not dependant on the fact that sookie went down.

Whats done is done - hope BB all good

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Just because every speeding driver isn't caught and booked, it doesn't mean you have the right to a free pass when you are caught for speeding.

That is not how the law works, he was caught, he failed the test (was it a punishable offense or not ) and was punished.

Isn't the whole point of the citing commissioner to catch the incidents that the Ref/Touchies miss?

Who said anything about a right to a free-pass?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
. Its a shame sookface was already falling otherwise it was around the shoulders. Would another player have suffered the same injury with that impact - who knows but I hope the result was not dependant on the fact that sookie went down.

Whats done is done - hope BB all good

I would say yes. Getting smashed in the jaw concusses people just as, if not more easily than getting hit in the head.

The whole argument about Barnes dropping into the tackle is a bit moot. All players lower their body height going into a tackle so they can maintain forward momentum etc. Lining up to strike a player who is upright at the top of their chest is hardly mitigation or an excuse for then striking them in the jaw/head when they invariably lower their body height going into contact.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

It doesn't mean that the fans of Player A from Team 1 that gets suspended can't get angry because Player B from Team 2 does the same illegal stuff but gets away with it.

The better is analogy is speeding driver 1 goes past the police at 100 km/h in an 80 km/h zone and is booked. Speeding driver 2 goes past the police at 100 km/h in an 80 km/h zone and nothing happens.

Is that fair? Yes if you're speeding driver 2. Not if you're speeding driver 1. And yes, it gets to the point that speeding driver 1 went through probably expecting to get off because speeding driver 2 didn't get caught, regardless of the law. That's not how the law works, but it is how people think.

There is a damn fair gripe that Elstadt should be rubbed out for the next couple of weeks - same tackle, but he has priors. Instead, he will be running around for the Stomers in the semi.

Bringing the analogy back to the original problem, I see no reason why Reds fans shouldn't be pissed off at SANZAR because the Stormers get Elstadt yet they lose Quade simply because Walsh pulled out a white card. To top it off, Elstadt didn't even get a yellow.

Personally, I am sick of the stupid citing process and stupid subjective ways of picking how long the suspension is (showing remorse to reduce suspension? come on!). The worst one is when they randomly decide (like with Digby) to add 2 weeks to a suspension so discourage other players because they've had a few problems with similar incidents recently. So I can do the same shit as a player did from the previous week, have the same record, even get told everything is the same as the suspension handed out last week, AND THEN cop additional time on a whim of SANZAR?

The whole system is fucked, and I see no reason why fans can't be pissed. I reckon that blind, syphilitic monkeys could do a better job than the bright sparks at SANZAR.

This is just one of the many ways in that I think that rugby has never gone truly professional, and is still run by a bunch of amateurs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Digby didn't get an extra 2 weeks to discourage others.......

He got extra weeks because it was his second offence with a spear tackle.......

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Cooper smashes Barnes
Now cooper sit on sideline
Justice, she is blind

Not really art (like the carter thread eventually got too) but an attempt at least.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Digby didn't get an extra 2 weeks to discourage others...

He got extra weeks because it was his second offence with a spear tackle...

Yes. And extra time to deter other players, but my apologies. Digby only got one extra week for "deterence".

There is also the need for deterrence which again is present in respect to these tackles (refer IRB memorandum of June 2009). A further week suspension is warranted for reasons of deterrence.

BTW, just to clarify, I think Cooper deserves his week on the sideline. He just deserves some company! The fact that we can sit here and point out similar tackles all day which weren't cited means there is something wrong.

And I don't want to comment how Luke Braid's 3 week ban for striking stacks up with these suspensions either. All I want is some consistency!

Read this post for Digby's and Braid's justification for their bans.

Would love to see SANZAR to do three things:
1. Have multiple citing officers who watch every game, so that each game is watch by more than one citing officer
2. Investigate a more detailed and precise grading system for illegal play, making it easier for citing officers (e.g. Elstadt's and Cooper's should immediately stand out for officers)
3. Implement a better system for suspending players (e.g. like NRL/AFL points systems), which gets rid of a lot of randomness in picking the length of bans (e.g. remove random deterence clause, remove reduced ban for remorse, remove extra punishment because someone happens to be injured in a worse way (welcome to diving like soccer!), remove randomly looking at off field behaviour, and so on).

Of course, they won't do any of these things. But it feels a little cathartic to rant about it on an anonymous board.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Quade's punishment is actually karma for escaping punishment for kneeing Richie in the head one year ago.:)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And will you be asking the posters who dragged in SA conspiracies and jokes that the hit didn't matter because it was only Barnes to retract their comments as well?

No? Didn't think so.

No, but I certainly didn't say any of that, and I can't stop you from asking them to retract.

I asked for a retraction of a statement that offended me - you can do the same.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm more than happy to retract it, but I think you're taking a tongue in cheek comment far too seriously.

There was a fair amount of sarcasm attached to the original comment.

I know, I just get annoyed at the consistent talk of banjos, inbred, backwards etc in regards to queenslanders.

I once replied in kind with a derogatory and stereotypical sydneysider comment and was slapped down by the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.