• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How much does a S15 player earn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
The salary cap for an Aussie super team is about $4M for 30 players (and I assume the EPS players get sod-all). So on average that's $133k a player. Big names get up to $400k so the journeymen get $50 -$80k. Yeah it's not setting them up for life but they aren't all rugby all the time, they can and many do also study full time or work in the off-season. Wallabies players of course get top ups (not sure how much) and those players that can get cash endorsements (which aren't many - JO'C for Swisse the first and only one that readily comes to mind) are the ones that can possibly retire at the end of their career. I think O'Connor gets about $2-$3M a year.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
When sanzar starts generating NFL money, the players will get NFL money.

You'd be surprised at how little that often is. While stars in the NFL make big bucks, most players do not. Career spans are considerably shorter -- I think the average career is something like 3 years.

But I totally agree with your point.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is a catch-22 though. Whilst the players are what is essentially sold, it is the administrators that sell them and try to extract the revenue that pays everyone. If you don't hire good administrators there will be less revenue to pay the players.

As you're competing against the corporate world, you have to pay reasonably to attract the best administrators.
Aha. Does that mean we should have offered more than the $10K which I presume is what the 'Tahs are paying our top bloke? And there are more than a few who still feel we're not getting value for money.

L

Linebacker_41

Read the RUPA CBA for further info on the topic.
I won't buy into that sob story..

Thanks TOCC
Wow I was surprised to find the CBA with a simple Google search which lead me to the RUPA website.

These figures look a little old considering they were 2005 figures etc. Has there been a new CBA since then?

Minimum full contract of around $50k in 2005 - Allowing for CPI increase I would expect this to be around $60k now
Rookie contract $44.5k (after CPI increase) - assuming EPS = Rookie

I also thought the salary cap had gone up due to NRL competitiveness in the player market to $4.6M which equates to $153k average.

Now if we compare this to the guy in the UK who is getting paid in pounds then I think that he has a pretty good deal. But so too do our up and coming players. Hell no university background or 3-4 years in an apprentiship and you are earning $40k+ is pretty good.

T

TOCC

The salary cap for an Aussie super team is about $4M for 30 players (and I assume the EPS players get sod-all). So on average that's $133k a player. Big names get up to $400k so the journeymen get $50 -$80k. Yeah it's not setting them up for life but they aren't all rugby all the time, they can and many do also study full time or work in the off-season. Wallabies players of course get top ups (not sure how much) and those players that can get cash endorsements (which aren't many - JO'C for Swisse the first and only one that readily comes to mind) are the ones that can possibly retire at the end of their career. I think O'Connor gets about $2-$3M a year.

sort of... see below for salary cap breakdown

Salary Cap(30 players): $4.5million
Third Party for recruitment: $500'000
EPS Salary Cap(5 players): $200'000

So essentially the Salary Cap is $5.2million for 35 players

T

TOCC

Thanks TOCC
Wow I was surprised to find the CBA with a simple Google search which lead me to the RUPA website.

These figures look a little old considering they were 2005 figures etc. Has there been a new CBA since then?

Minimum full contract of around $50k in 2005 - Allowing for CPI increase I would expect this to be around $60k now
Rookie contract $44.5k (after CPI increase) - assuming EPS = Rookie

I also thought the salary cap had gone up due to NRL competitiveness in the player market to $4.6M which equates to $153k average.

Now if we compare this to the guy in the UK who is getting paid in pounds then I think that he has a pretty good deal. But so too do our up and coming players. Hell no university background or 3-4 years in an apprentiship and you are earning $40k+ is pretty good.

the latest CBA was this year which will come into effect for 2013 and beyond.. see the figures i posted above

Status
Not open for further replies.