• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How much does it cost to buy the Soccer World Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Football Federation Australia (FFA) chairman Frank Lowy says the $45.6 million secured from the government to bid for the 2018 World Cup will not be spent on "lunches, dinners and entertainment".

Lowy, speaking at the formal announcement of the package in Sydney on Wednesday, said the money would be spent wisely and on securing the best "professional services" (hookers for FIFA Executives) to ensure Australia has a genuine chance of hosting the football showpiece.

"We will hire from Australia and overseas the very best people to show that Australia can do this job properly," Lowy said.

"We have had two Olympics, two rugby world cups and Australia's strength in this field is unquestionable.

"The progress we have made in football has also made a big impact on the world and I think we have the sympathies of the executives of FIFA and the football world.

"What we need to do now is get the 13 of the 24 votes required and I can assure you we will do our utmost to get it done and I hope when the time comes we will be able to celebrate."

Lowy said the FFA had given the government details of how the money will be spent and said his 50-year experience of dealing with public money will ensure the bid team is run properly.

The FFA chairman also said despite a perception the tournament should be held in Europe, he is very confident Australia can host the tournament.

"While I understand that there is a view emanating from Europe that it may well be the turn of Europe to be the hosts in 2018, the fact is football is a world game," he said.

"If I didn't think so, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't ask the government to support us for a pipedream."

Federal Minister for Sport Kate Ellis said the bid had the support of all the states and territories and the government would work with them to upgrade any infrastructure to FIFA standards.

Ellis said hosting the tournament would benefit the Australian economy and create a number of jobs nationwide.

it would be huge for Australia but it would have been nice to throw some money Ballymore's way. Surely the timezone will be the biggest issue with this? They'll be playing games at 11am in the morning I reckon.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Japanese/Korean bid got up and their time zone was late at night if I recall :nta:

In any case Nodster, I'm sure when it came down to choosing between Ballymore and hundreds of millions in tourist dollars they thought long and hard about it 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.