• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes V Brumbies Semi-Final, Sat 27th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This page is one of the funniest ever!

Anyone care to comment on the game??

e7dfcee10f67565e6c4ef94b75cd14b22a72f5db0ea4aca09bf1056626ad4e6d.jpg

M

Moono75

Jessie Mogg flew on ahead of the team. Seen arriving at Wellington International to scout conditions at the cake tin ahead of Saturday.

121128122154-hobbit-gollum-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Interesting that we get a neutral ref while they get old "Hometown" Jackson.

Brumbies will need to be on their best behaviour.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I just don't see how the Brumbies will be able to do this without the Hurricanes suffering from a case of severe nerves.

The travel will have affected them pretty badly and however hard you try to ignore it, in the last 20 or so the body just has its say either way. Will be a bridge too far I think. Hoping I'm wrong, but it's about as tough as matches get.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting that we get a neutral ref while they get old "Hometown" Jackson.

Brumbies will need to be on their best behaviour.
While I think Jackson is one of the better refs,why do SANZAR keep doing this?There are 2 semis on with no SA teams involved,so why not use 2 of the best refs,Peyper and Joubert?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They haven't had neutral referees for several years.

The premise is that they've rewarded the best referees with the finals duties (and Peyper reffed last week).

If you suddenly start scheduling in the finals with neutral referees, surely that is an acknowledgement that not having neutral referees during the rest of the season is a problem.

Personally I thought both referees produced good performances last weekend.

I think referees are more likely to be influenced by the home crowd than by being from the same country as one of the teams. They're professionals and the ones selected for the finals have been deemed to be the best in the competition.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
While I think Jackson is one of the better refs,why do SANZAR keep doing this?There are 2 semis on with no SA teams involved,so why not use 2 of the best refs,Peyper and Joubert?

Joubert has not been particularly good this year.........

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
They haven't had neutral referees for several years.

The premise is that they've rewarded the best referees with the finals duties (and Peyper reffed last week).

If you suddenly start scheduling in the finals with neutral referees, surely that is an acknowledgement that not having neutral referees during the rest of the season is a problem.

Personally I thought both referees produced good performances last weekend.

I think referees are more likely to be influenced by the home crowd than by being from the same country as one of the teams. They're professionals and the ones selected for the finals have been deemed to be the best in the competition.
I agree that both refs did a great job last weekend and I am sure Jackson will be fine on Saturday,but surely it just takes away that slight bit of controversy?I doubt very much if any top class ref would be biased,as their professional career depends on officiating fairly,but why will they have neutral refs in the RWC then?
You say that they have not had neutral refs in the past?Who reffed the final last year?Also,I think there has been quite a lot of criticism through the year of not using neutral refs eg Stuart Berry.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You say that they have not had neutral refs in the past?Who reffed the final last year?Also,I think there has been quite a lot of criticism through the year of not using neutral refs eg Stuart Berry.

They used to have a neutral referee policy in Super Rugby but they did away with it a few years ago.

Criticise Stuart Berry all you like but I think it is because he is an average referee, not because he has not been neutral.

Joubert refereed the final last year because he was considered the best referee in the competition. If the Sharks had beaten the Crusaders in the semi final I doubt that would have effected the decision to have Joubert referee the final.

I completely understand what you're saying but I just don't think it applies these days. These are professionals and they're the best the Southern Hemisphere has to offer. Their careers are dependent on doing a good job.

Gorgodze

Bob McCowan (2)
What is most likely to influence referees is the selective replays used by the home TV crew. I've always thought this was an issue (like everyone else) but watching the Brumbies/Stormers last weekend was the most I've ever noticed/been shocked by it because the Aussie commentary was incongruous with the pictures which made the "biased" replay coverage stand out more than usual (because it didn't just flow with the narrative of the commentary which softens the starkness of it) - mid conversation on something else (by the aussie commentators) the coverage would be inexplicably flashing back to a slightly late Brumbies tackle or rough clearout and it just happened over and over again during the entire coverage. It isn't an issue particular to a specific country as opposed to a home v away thing but it is a realy worry.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
What is most likely to influence referees is the selective replays used by the home TV crew. I've always thought this was an issue (like everyone else) but watching the Brumbies/Stormers last weekend was the most I've ever noticed/been shocked by it because the Aussie commentary was incongruous with the pictures which made the "biased" replay coverage stand out more than usual (because it didn't just flow with the narrative of the commentary which softens the starkness of it) - mid conversation on something else (by the aussie commentators) the coverage would be inexplicably flashing back to a slightly late Brumbies tackle or rough clearout and it just happened over and over again during the entire coverage. It isn't an issue particular to a specific country as opposed to a home v away thing but it is a realy worry.

It might be getting a bit TOO off topic, but I really hope they don't go the way of FIFA in banning replays at the park. It really takes away from the spectacle at the ground and means even with free tickets, I don't like going to WC qualifiers and the like, as the viewing experience I get at home is better. I think the best solution would involve somehow having a neutral production crew, but I know there are a lot of realities that would make that difficult.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The Tahs have been using it to great success with their massive new screens at the ground...........

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
The Tahs have been using it to great success with their massive new screens at the ground.....

I have to admit, I scoffed pretty hard at Graham Henry for making excuses when I first heard about this problem after he complained about it. After viewing a few Tahs games live this season though, I was appalled at what they didn't show. As a spectator, I want to see replays of interesting or controversial plays/moments and it's annoying when you don't get to.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So without Speight there are a few options for the right wing including James Dargaville, Nigel Ah Wong and Lausi Taliauli.

Status
Not open for further replies.