• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes v Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You reckon those hands are going backwards? It was miles forward. Higgenbotham came in from the side.

tumblr_p8y8uxzE5F1sg3nzko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8y8uxzE5F1sg3nzko2_540.jpg

And as for the 'he's fair game as soon as he touches the ball'. Bollocks.

Collins may have used the shoulder, but Kaplan clearly says late tackle.
You're comparing a situation where the player is trying to catch the ball with one where the ball is about 3m away after the player has dropped it.

I don't think they are similar situations at all. I don't know that Collins could have really pulled out of the tackle attempt though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
You reckon those hands are going backwards? It was miles forward. Higgenbotham came in from the side.

tumblr_p8y8uxzE5F1sg3nzko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8y8uxzE5F1sg3nzko2_540.jpg

And as for the 'he's fair game as soon as he touches the ball'. Bollocks.

Collins may have used the shoulder, but Kaplan clearly says late tackle.
That looks flat. No issue

Collins Hit him when the ball was on the ground 5 Meters away from him. It's a late tackle. Different to when he was juggling the ball like this time. So different

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
You're comparing a situation where the player is trying to catch the ball with one where the ball is about 3m away after the player has dropped it.

I don't think they are similar situations at all. I don't know that Collins could have really pulled out of the tackle attempt though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The ball was about the same distance away, to be honest. But that's not really my point, I'm just using the Collins example to show that the idea that a player can be late tackled/tackled without the ball if they've lost/juggled it.

There's nothing in the laws that says a player juggling the ball can be tackled if they clearly don't have possession. Yes, there's clearly some leeway allowed by refs but only so much.

And again, I don't think in this case there was a tackle anyway.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The ball was about the same distance away, to be honest. But that's not really my point, I'm just using the Collins example to show that the idea that a player can be late tackled/tackled without the ball if they've lost/juggled it.

There's nothing in the laws that says a player juggling the ball can be tackled if they clearly don't have possession. Yes, there's clearly some leeway allowed by refs but only so much.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong, it's very clear we don't have many referees here lol.
But the problem with this logic is a player could juggle the ball and never be tackled, not desimilar to when we had the 'player tackled in the air' when they were jumping to catch a pass thet went high. IMO if a player has tapped the ball to their advantage they must be fair game to be tackled, otherwise situations where a player never 'takes control' of the ball can't be tackled and we know that's an absurd proposition.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Not saying anyone is right or wrong, it's very clear we don't have many referees here lol.
But the problem with this logic is a player could juggle the ball and never be tackled, not desimilar to when we had the 'player tackled in the air' when they were jumping to catch a pass thet went high. IMO if a player has tapped the ball to their advantage they must be fair game to be tackled, otherwise situations where a player never 'takes control' of the ball can't be tackled and we know that's an absurd proposition.

Yeah, but like I said - refs do allow some leeway. If a guy were juggling it but keeping it close, the ref would probably let him get hit. If he were juggling it by batting the ball some distance away it would be fairly easy for someone else to catch it instead.

It's possible someone might try it on sometime, but it's never been an issue cause refs seem to just apply common sense.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

lol bruh, dunno what rugby you've been playing but the game i play the second you touch that ball you are fair game.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
lol bruh, dunno what rugby you've been playing but the game i play the second you touch that ball you are fair game.

I don't play anymore, but I'm fairly sure I played the same game that Jerry Collins did (well, about on the same level as that time he turned out for some social team in England).

So yeah, the second you touch it you can be tackled. What about the second after that?

Status
Not open for further replies.