• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes vs Crusaders Round 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone see the finish to this game? DRAW

Kaplan shouldn't have awarded that try, 0 evidence. And bloody Carter missed the shot, thanks for stuffing up my tips. Oh well at least nobody would have tipped a draw.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Reddy, he must have seen the ball on the deck over the line, so asked the 2 questions - was he off his feet when he "scored", and is there any evidence to NOT award it. No and No. Fair enough call I think. He was way closer than us.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Entertaining last 20 minutes. Fair try for mind but justice served with D Carter missing the kick as Crusaders did not deserve to win and certainly don't deserve to make the finals now. Nonu and Donald had good games.

The best possible result for the oz sides?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Paris Tah said:
Entertaining last 20 minutes. Fair try for mind but justice served with D Carter missing the kick as Crusaders did not deserve to win and certainly don't deserve to make the finals now. Nonu and Donald had good games.

The best possible result for the oz sides?

I think we wanted the Canes with neither side getting a bonus point.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Conrad Smith looked bloody good, fantastic player

Kaplan was as baffling as ever, stays out of the game and lets it flow; and then makes an absolutely baffling decision.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good game; exciting finish.

On the "Is there any reason why I can't award a try?" request: it is not the first time that Kaplan has been perverse. If any team infringes time after time as the Canes did in the final minutes, including the times not mentioned by him, he has a tendency to impose himself in favour of the non-offending team. It's not the worst thing a referee can do I suppose.

It's of no use to complain to Paddy O'Brien because he was one of the worst when he was in an angry mood.

So; the Hurricanes may have been their own worst enemies at the end of the game, but earlier Kaplan and the AR made a blunder with the the quick lineout from which the Crusaders scored a try.

The Canes were unlucky then in the final washup. They made a commendable comeback and were dudded once and arguably, twice.

There will be a bit of angst over the ditch about the officials, and unfortunately, the fact that it was a cracking match will be overlooked.

L

Lachlan

fatprop said:
Kaplan was as baffling as ever, stays out of the game and lets it flow; and then makes an absolutely baffling decision.
Agreed. This game had me baffled a lot through the first half. The Crusaders, to my eyes, were infringing at the breakdown continually. Tacklers not rolling, first man diving in off his feet (almost every single time!).
Dissapointing ending, I was really hoping the 'canes would get over the line. Still, quite an entertaining match.

C

chief

Lee I agree with some of the things you say. I think that Kaplan should have awarded a try (which he did), I get the feeling Kaplan referred the matter to the TMO to find out if there were any reasons that he couldn't award a try. I think he saw the ball graze the line in a split second, but you can't guess and check. I think it was ballsy, but Matt Goddard I remember when reffing Argies v Italy a few years back did the best thing, there were bodies covering the ball, saw it on the line and awarded the try, the evidence turned out to be inconclusive, so I think Kaplan did the correct thing, and must applaud him.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
chief said:
Paddy O'Brien is guilty of one of the worst refereeing performances i have ever witnessed, anyone see Fiji vs France in 99,

Fixed. I have so opined many times in this forum.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee Grant said:
Good game; exciting finish.

On the "Is there any reason why I can't award a try?" request: it is not the first time that Kaplan has been perverse. If any team infringes time after time as the Canes did in the final minutes, including the times not mentioned by him, he has a tendency to impose himself in favour of the non-offending team. It's not the worst thing a referee can do I suppose.

It's of no use to complain to Paddy O'Brien because he was one of the worst when he was in an angry mood.

So; the Hurricanes may have been their own worst enemies at the end of the game, but earlier Kaplan and the AR made a blunder with the the quick lineout from which the Crusaders scored a try.
The Canes were unlucky then in the final washup. They made a commendable comeback and were dudded once and arguably, twice.

There will be a bit of angst over the ditch about the officials, and unfortunately, the fact that it was a cracking match will be overlooked.
I thought the try off the quick lineout was a massive blunder. Not sure how anyone could have awarded that try at the end either. Heroic comeback by the Canes, and an entertaining game that they deserved to win.

Conrad Smith just confirmed to me why he is my favourite 13 at the moment. Does everything well. And I like the look of Freuan. He'll be in a black jersey some time down the track.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
The interview with Kaplan answers most of the questions. He said he saw the ball grounded but wanted to check whether he had gone off his feet or if there were any other reasons why a try shouldnt have been awarded. Im guessing he was covering himself there making sure he hadnt run into his own player or something similar. While I dont like him, he has made the right call here.

Was worth the price of foxtel just to listen to the Video Ref try to phrase his verdict. Nervous boy.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If the ref feels enough doubt that he has to go upstairs, there should only be one question "try or no try". If it comes back inconclusive as this one did, standard protocol should be to eith give benifit of the doubt to the attacking or defending team by matter of strict procedure.

There is too much latitude in the system for it to be effective.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Completely disagree. The ref was in no doubt as to the grounding. He knew that the camera angles would probably not give conclusive evidence on that, so took that matter out of the video refs hands. Had the footage shown that there was definately no grounding then the TMO could have overruled him. He couldnt so you have to go with what the Ref said he saw. Think this was actually well handled.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
fatprop said:
Conrad Smith looked bloody good, fantastic player

Agreed fatty, both those names you mentioned are going to cause us trouble during the tri-nations this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.