• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes vs Waratahs Saturday 6th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Match No.46. : Hurricanes v Waratahs
Date : Saturday 6 April
Venue : Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Kick Off local: 19:35
Referee: Jonathan Kaplan
Assistant Ref 1:Nick Briant
Assistant Ref 2:Kane McBride
TMO : Glenn Newman

Ugh oh.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
HTF did we draw Kaplan for this must-win away match? Someone at SANZAR must have a perverse sense of humour when scheduling officials for Tahs matches.

It's not the end of the season if we lose, but, with the Tahs on 17 points and the Canes on 18 a win makes for a very important jump on the loser. A Tahs win could very well see three Australian teams in the top six.

Good to see Palu pencilled in on the bench. McCutcheon's been playing well enough to keep the 8 jumper, he should be told to let rip and have an empty tank at the 50 minute mark. The good performances of these non-test players are absolutely crucial to the success of Super sides.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
TPN sat out training yesterday, hopefully he is fit we'll need a big forward effort against the Canes. Good to have Palu to come off the bench to rip it up for 25/30 minutes as well.

Have to agree with Lindommer its a huge game in the context of our season. If we win we can start to think about sneaking into the top 6 and playing finals footy.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
We won the last one under Kaplan, IIRC. My personal suspicion is that Phil Waugh snaked Kaplan for the last pie on the after-match buffet one time and Kaplan wreaked his revenge for years to come. Now that Phil is gone, the Waratahs are just another team.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
last game i recall being under Kaplan was v crusaders last year. some very dodgy scrum calls IIRC and we lost by less than 5. Although i can't blame Kaplan for the way Tom Carter played that day.....

this one is a big match for the Tahs. While I'm hopeful of a good performance I don't think they will be able to get over the canes in Wellington. I think the tahs and canes plat a very similar style of rugby, but the canes are a touch ahead on their skills, and more of their last passes stick so I suspect they'll get the biscuits.

I was initially doubtful of McCutcheon at 8, but last weekend he and Hooper were like a pair of jackals, always after the ball. If they can stop/slow/pilfer enough canes ball then that's probably the best chance of getting up, assuming no-one kicks turnover ball away and out on the full (again)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You're probably right about that being the last game under Kaplan, rsa. I must have been so giddy from that time we actually won one that I forgot about it entirely.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Sanzar people now schedule Kaplan to referee the Tahs at least twice in a Super season in the vain hope that just once they will be able to point out a game against the top teams where the Tahs actually won. The only time the Tahs ever win under Kaplan is when the other team is near the bottom of the table.

He retires at the end of this year, so we've got this game and possibly one or two others and then the nightmare ends.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Sanzar people now schedule Kaplan to referee the Tahs at least twice in a Super season in the vain hope that just once they will be able to point out a game against the top teams where the Tahs actually won. The only time the Tahs ever win under Kaplan is when the other team is near the bottom of the table.

This year is the last time he can do us in. He retires at the end of this year.
TMO?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hurricanes seem to going about the same level as the Waratahs, so I'm expecting a close one. Waratahs will need to reduce turnovers though or they'll be chasing for a lot of the match. Please start with Lucas as I don't think my TV will be able to cope with the thrown objects during another 80 minutes of McKibben. I watched the replay on Monday afternoon, God he was awful.

From the matches that I've seen in the last couple of weeks, it looks as if all SANZAR referees have been to a confuse 'em all seminar run by Kaplan. Last round in particular saw some Kaplan like performances in Canberra and in Sydney by the refs. Was it the full moon over the Easter weekend?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Disapointed that Ryan has been dropped, he has been very impressive over the past few weeks. Also TPN is ruled out with Holmes on the bench. Full team below:

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. John Ulugia (Eastern Suburbs)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
4. Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
9. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
12. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
15. Israel Folau (Sydney University)

Replacements
16. Luke Holmes (Warringah)
17. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
18. Mitchell Chapman (Eastern Suburbs)
19. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
20. Matt Lucas (Manly)
21. Ben Volavola (Southern Districts)
22. Tom Kingston (Sydney University)

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
We really need to stop thinking of these movements to the bench as a punishment or demotion and think of it as a rotation or a chance to rest an injury

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I agree but benching arguably your best performing front row this season should be highlighted, performances should be rewarded. Given how they both went against the Force and that next week is a bye I think Paddy should have kept his place. That said Kepu should step up knowing there is a bloke on the bench in good form who'll be pissed off he isn't starting. Cheika has made a lot of good calls this season so I'll have to trust him on this one!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The Brumbies rotate their front row and accept that while there might be a slight decline in performance, you make up for it by reducing fatigue-related injuries over the season. I have no problem with Ryan being rotated to the bench. Kepu ain't chopped liver.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Additionally, franchises that want to contend every year build squad depth by rotating players even when the games matter. IMO, one of the best changes from Hickey/Foley to Cheika is that we're seeing real rotation.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Canes are ripe for the taking here.

No Dane Coles, Jeremy Thrush, Karl Lowe and Victor Vito is in doubt.

But Ardie Savea will make his Super Rugby debut and Jack Lam return from the bench. Anyone who watched the ITM Cup will know how talented the younger brother of Savea is, he's a future All Black. Hopefully Hooper and McCutcheon give him hell and force him into errors because when he's on he's hard to stop.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Really looking forward to this game, Tahs look good on paper but will need to be on the ball for the full 80. Have only seen highlights of the the last two games so will be good to see what the fuss is about. Have tipped the Canes to win at home but will not be surprised to see the Tahs get up.

What did Kepu do to warrant a return to the starting XV?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Really looking forward to this game, Tahs look good on paper but will need to be on the ball for the full 80. Have only seen highlights of the the last two games so will be good to see what the fuss is about. Have tipped the Canes to win at home but will not be surprised to see the Tahs get up.

If they can minimise or eliminate those cheap turnovers they are in with a real chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.