• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

I am immune from the Matt Burke theory because?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I thought this might be fun.

Tell your story here and let everyone know you have been there and done that.

Have you ever played with or against a current or former pro rugby player? Was it juniors, club rugby, or just a social hitout?

The reason I can nod wisely when Matt Burke speaks, is because I was posted to Thailand from 2003 - 2008 and in that time I was part of an expat team.

In 2007 during the Bangkok 10's competition, we played in a round robin tournament featuring many teams from Asia and a few teams from England and Oz. Mostly expats and social players. You know, the kind that find the after match activities far more interesting than the actual playing.

In one of the Oz teams was Warwick Waugh. I don't know Warwick at all and I really don't know what kind of bloke he is. He could be the kind of saint that makes Ghandi look like a street peddler, but I never tried to find out because I was simply awestruck at what nature had built.

Warwick was (and is) a man mountain with a pretty decent look about him. The kind of man that makes you want to just give up and crawl back into the evolutionary swamp. Because next to him, you know you just don't cut it. An Alpha male.

As he paced the side of the field watching the games being played, every set of eyes was on him.

I swear my wife starting panting when he walked past; and I didn't blame her one little bit.

Ok, so you get the gist of what I am saying.

And so here's me. Apart from a couple of games in my army days I was very much the prototype social rugby player. A bit soft and better suited to being the beer allocator. But, I am 6'1" and weigh 120kgs (pure relaxed muscle) so that makes me a second row player. I say player in the loosest possible sense.

No prizes for guessing who my direct opponent was.

Now at this point, I am going to have to defer to my ex-team mates for the details, because they needed to fill in a few blanks for me.

All I know is, in the first 30 seconds of play, my team mate went to ground and placed the ball back to be recycled, and I positioned myself beautifully. Bum over Ball, knees off the ground and alert for the counter ruck.

And there was a counter ruck. It was Warwick, who saw an opportunity to clear me out.

I didn't even feel the impact until my brain caught up some 10 minutes later. By that time, I had been subbed and was lying on the ground in the team shelter. In the manner of social games I had been unceremoniously dragged from the field to much applause and laughter, and dumped in the corner to regain what was left of my wits.

After the game I shook Warwick's hand and he asked if I was ok. No probs I said. At least I think I said that. It may have just been a nonsensical mumble.

A few beers and a couple of panadol and I was good to go.

And I retired to become the team mascot.

Yes, Burkey, I am with you. Unless you have played the game at the highest lowest possible level, you cannot understand what happens out there on the field. In that sense, I love being a spectator.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I recently played a couple of games with Stephen Larkham and against Greg Somerville at the World Vintage Rugby Carnival in Hawaii last month. Bernie played a couple of full games with the ACT Veterans and the Bustard Eagles from Brisbane and together with Greg Somerville had cameo appearances in matches involving all 45 teams at the carnival.

As I mentioned in the thread on the Carnival, a highlight for me was in the game between the ACT Veterans and the Samoa Golden Oldies, being outside Bernie on one play when he ran towards a Samoan defender and getting a flick pass from behind his back when I cut inside. I didn't have to call, he instinctively knew what I was doing.

Greg Somerville looks to be slightly leaner than his Super Rugby days with the Rebels but he hasn't lost any skills or pace. He was faster than most of the backs in the games he played. He even put in a goose step when out in the back line for one phase, outpacing the fullback to score.

Here's some photographic evidence:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc6/285771_10151108537612763_1098160504_n.jpg

Greg Somerville looked like he was enjoying himself playing with the Samoans

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash4/377309_10151108541662763_1385256175_n.jpg

He's not bad as a scrumhalf either

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
daz - the scary thing is nature made Warwick twice. I had dinner with his twin a few weeks back, and had met him years back when he was seeing one of my now-wife's friends. Maybe not as bulky as Warwick, but farkin' huge!! Great bloke and bloody funny over a few wines.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My only claim to rugby fame was playing at the same club as former Wallaby, John Welborn. I knew him a bit, but he played a grade or two above me at the time. My Mrs used to work with Paul McLean if that enhances my rugby cred at all ;)

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Half way down your story there Daz I wasn't sure if it wasn't a penthouse forum style letter...

Dear Burkey - I once played against a full international side - Israel.

I was on tour with London French in Tel Aviv back in the 90s. I'd imagined an easy game vs a bunch of guys looking like Seinfeld, out lumbered 6'4" blonde saffas. We didn't do so well.

Some interesting moments including beer races in the MASH bar after with the oppo all wearing holstered hand cannons.

Reactions: daz

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I played a game of rugby (league) with Marty Roebuck's cousin, and a few other sports for that matter. He was able to get Marty Roebuck come and give us a talk, which was a pretty big deal in 1992!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Half way down your story there Daz I wasn't sure if it wasn't a penthouse forum style letter.

I was on tour with London French in Tel Aviv back in the 90s. I'd imagined an easy game vs a bunch of guys looking like Seinfeld, out lumbered 6'4" blonde saffas. We didn't do so well.

Some interesting moments including beer races in the MASH bar after with the oppo all wearing holstered hand cannons.

Imagine my surprise when.....

D

daz

Half way down your story there Daz I wasn't sure if it wasn't a penthouse forum style letter.

6 years in Thailand, my friend. I could write a fucking novel. 'Scuse the obvious pun.

Ok, I'd like to see anyone top that. Israel might be an IRB 42nd tier nation on a par with, say, Wagga Wagga RUFC 3rd XV, but hell, playing against an international side is something for the scrapbook.

;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Might need a poll to determine your level of cred on this one, Cyclo.

:D
You think I'd idly boast about playing with Scarfy if it was untrue? Or are you saying there is no cred in having played with the Knitter?

D

daz

You think I'd idly boast about playing with Scarfy if it was untrue? Or are you saying there is no cred in having played with the Knitter?

Steady, tiger. Plenty of cred having played with the great man. I'm not dissing you on that one.

It was the 2 degrees of Roebuck comment that sank your ship. C'mon, no vicarious contact, thanks! That goes against everything Matt Burke stands for.

In fact, it just makes you a bit, well, common.

:p

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Ok, I'd like to see anyone top that. Israel might be an IRB 42nd tier nation on a par with, say, Wagga Wagga RUFC 3rd XV, but hell, playing against an international side is something for the scrapbook.

;)

Which Wagga 3rd XV daz? There's 4 to choose from!

D

daz

Which Wagga 3rd XV daz? There's 4 to choose from!

Umm, definately the 2nd 3rd 15. Certainly not the 1st 3rd 15, they are pretty ordinary. The 3rd 3rd 15 and the 4th 3rd 15 are not bad, I suppose.

Who would have thought there were so many private schools in Wagga!?

D

daz

Meh, made up or fact, doesn't matter. All I know is that the black label edition gave me a thorough education and set me on the path to enlightenment.

Of course, it was solitary enlightenment for many years.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.