• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

I blame Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Everybody blamed Deans when Mitchell's AllBlacks crashed. I feel like blaming Mitchell for all the bloody Force players in the Wallaby squad. A lot of plodders in there.

F

formeropenside

Like who, Scarfy - I mean apart from Pek Cowan. I dont rate Drew Mitchell as test class in a hard match, but I can understand why he makes a 30-man squad. There are a few players I would have ahead of Hodgson as a 6, like Mowen or Higgy, especially as Hodgson is really a 7, but maybe Deans wants to try him out in a few meaningless tests - and he's a better option than Hoiles (fewer delusions of being a back).

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Not sure about that (Gits aint exactly pedestrian?) but definitely blame him for Force imploding

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Scarfman said:
Everybody blamed Deans when Mitchell's AllBlacks crashed. I feel like blaming Mitchell for all the bloody Force players in the Wallaby squad. A lot of plodders in there.

Were you just bored and trying to get your thread count up?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Right, 3 more bans to attend to later.

In the meantime, no I was not joking. I have to run out right now and watch some rugby league but I will address this with details in the morning.

Let me start here: Hodgson.

Let me elaborate: Cowan

And I quote:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25516033-5015651,00.html
Matt Hodgson, Pek Cowan bolters in Robbie Deans' Wallabies squad

Mitchell? Brown ahead of Palu? Spot the common factor here? Am I typing too fast for you?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Palu is injured. Hodgson was picked because he is better over the ball than Mowen or ... well there werent many other options were there? Deans thinks they new law will be significant here. Cowan is a project. Deans has one a year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And Sharpe still picked despite being known as the seagullingest forward ever to pull on a jersey.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
NTA said:
And Sharpe still picked despite being known as the seagullingest forward ever to pull on a jersey.

He's tight when Deans asks him to be. Perhaps he gets frightened by the prospect of a post-game review session with Jim Williams?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
NTA said:

Mumm and Horwill have been picked. Sharpe played well on the EOYT, Chisolm is injured and we've discussed Caldwell elsewhere (my view being that he is often feeble in contact). Apart from those guys, and in the absence of an Australia A programme this year, who else is there who is ready for international rugby?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cutter said:
Mumm and Horwill have been picked. Sharpe played well on the EOYT, Chisolm is injured and we've discussed Caldwell elsewhere (my view being that he is often feeble in contact). Apart from those guys, and in the absence of an Australia A programme this year, who else is there who is ready for international rugby?

Beating Spook to the big punch: KIMLIN

R

rugbywhisperer

I must have watched the wrong s14 - I thought Sharpe was the best lock this year, way ahead of the others - for you are honourable men and would never be unfairly biased - geez I must be blind

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Right, 3 more bans to attend to later. In the meantime, no I was not joking. I have to run out right now and watch some rugby league but I will address this with details in the morning.

That's worth a ban. Say, a month. Or two. ::) ::) ::)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Cutter said:
....my view being that (Caldwell) is often feeble in contact.

Until you read how many ruck cleanouts he made in the S14 this year - the second highest Aussie.

As for Jonathan Livingstone Sharpe: I think he reacted well after Dingo dropped him for the tour to the RSA after the debacle at Eden Park last year. I don't really care how he played in the S14 in the seagulling department, because it is a different game, so long as he plays with grunt for Oz.

After last year's demotion I am sure that he will, and I hope that Lote reacts in the same way.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lee Grant said:
Cutter said:
....my view being that (Caldwell) is often feeble in contact.

Until you read how many ruck cleanouts he made in the S14 this year - the second highest Aussie.

I saw that Lee. Perhaps feeble was too strong a word. I know he works hard, but (as I've said elsewhere), this season he wasnt a dominant defender and appeared to accept the tackle too easily. Others have different views and that is fine. I have no complaints with the balance of his game.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
At least JP was good at it. Sharpe is a human sponge, soaking up all the energy of a backline move.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Hodgson has been the best 6 in the country during the S14s. Although I wouldnt pick him as he is short. But Deans thinks that the rules will suit his play. Besides, he is only warming this position until next week when Elsom is available. Dont panic.
Cowen is very young (21 or 22 or something). He has been a revelation this season and obviously Deans has seen something there. Think of Alexander last season. Although we are short TH cover.
Sharpe has pulled his head out of his arse after being dropped for the SA tour last year. He is like a new man, and is very much in form. And Ill point out now that Horwill is not.

Please, watch the guys play before passing judgement.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
All I'm saying is that all the surprises were in one direction. With Pocock on the bench, we could have an all Force backrow. What justifies that? The Force has 10/29 players in the squad. Only 6 from the Brumbies: where's T. Smith or Shepherdson? I don't rate Ryan Cross at all.

And I have seen Cowan play. OK, so I don't know much about scrummaging, but it seemed like Shepherdson had really got it together. A lot more than the Force scrum, at any rate. I would pick Shep ahead of Alexander, too. No TH cover?? WTF??

F

formeropenside

Scarfman said:
All I'm saying is that all the surprises were in one direction.

Quade Cooper.

But I concur that Cross seems to offer little that Mortlock or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) does not already. Do we need 3 identical type players in the squad?

If only Digby had not hurt himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.