• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

I can see what you were trying to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
[video=youtube;y6XuAMC5zmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6XuAMC5zmM&feature=aso[/video]

What a truly awful throw. Really. I mean, when the bloke in Iraq lobbed a shoe at Bush at least he had to duck it. This looked like he was playing "politician's ring toss".

If you're planning on throwing your shoes at someone, probably a good idea not to wear thongs.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
the best part of it is he apparantly rang the abc later that night in an effort to get his shoes back, best hippie ever.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Bit of a contrast, the Iraqi journalist and original shoe throw got 3 years prison (reduced to 1 year, good behaviour after 9 months) during which time he was tortured (source).

The hippie freak wants his shoes back. Maybe he'd hidden his pot in there.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You can see the guys hesitating when hes throwing, he probibly didnt want to throw it too hard just incase he did some actual damage.

But still, if your going to get up and make a fool of yourself, might as well peg at him hard.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's as if the bloke honestly thinks any other Australian prime minister wouldn't follow America's lead into Iraq.

Seriously though, Johnny really did handle the situation in an excellent manner. Good on him.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I want to see more public shoe throwing. The Iraqi bloke could definitely have given the useless hippie some throwing lessons first tho.

Oh, and wear steelcaps or motorcycle boots if you want to do some damage

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It's as if the bloke honestly thinks any other Australian prime minister wouldn't follow America's lead into Iraq.

Seriously though, Johnny really did handle the situation in an excellent manner. Good on him.

Yeah he sure hasn't lost that smugness.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought the original shoe throwing guy was hilarious. What apparently happened to him afterwards wasn't though. A healthy disrespect for heads of state, current or former, is not necessarily a bad thing.

This other bloke though = FAIL. If he was a true hippy, he'd like, you know, get rid of the trappings of modern capitalist society, man. Even shoes.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah he sure hasn't lost that smugness.

I didn't necessarily see smugness in little Johnny. Cunning as a shit house rat, yes, but smug not so much.

Rudd on the other hand was as smug as a really, really smug person on a day that they felt particularly pleased with themselves.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I thought the original shoe throwing guy was hilarious. What apparently happened to him afterwards wasn't though. A healthy disrespect for heads of state, current or former, is not necessarily a bad thing.

This other bloke though = FAIL. If he was a true hippy, he'd like, you know, get rid of the trappings of modern capitalist society, man. Even shoes.

and not go on Q&A because it, like, legitimises the way we are oppressed and alienated by the capitalist mode of production by giving the proletariat some means by which they think they can engage directly in the political process without actually having any real influence on outcomes driven by the political elite and big business. man.

oh yeah, and no blood for oil! or was it no oil for blood?

C

chief

Disgusting, although Howard still hasn't learnt from his mistakes ie; admitting failure, the bloke served Australia honourably for 10 or so years. Howard should press charges, so the bloke cannot profit from the sale of the shoes. I didn't like what he did for the country, but he deserves better.

Greatly handled by Howard, and Jones. And cannot wait to see Tony Jones in the centre of the 7:30 Report next year. Can't wait.

Reactions: DPK

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Go easy on the "honour" of John Howard, guys. The bloke made his living lying his arse off. He only got away with it because he had Murdoch in his pocket.

And I'm not sure what is honourable about wedge politics. Howard gouged away a significant number of Labor voters with nothing more than nationalist populism.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Go easy on the "honour" of John Howard, guys. The bloke made his living lying his arse off. He only got away with it because he had Murdoch in his pocket.

And I'm not sure what is honourable about wedge politics. Howard gouged away a significant number of Labor voters with nothing more than nationalist populism.

Surely you don't think that Rudd was a better politician or even person than Howard? At least Howard (mostly) fought for what he believe (whether you agree with it or not). As far as I can see Rudd didn't really believe in anything that didn't get him somewhere, and that belief could change like the wind.

But I'm guessing your response will be that you don't like any of the priministers of the last 20 years. Probably any ever. They are all evil. Is that right?

Be realistic Scarfy. You won't ever find a priminister of this country that hasn't been an arsehole, or manipulative or false at some stage in their careers to get it their way.

Respect? Yes why not. He may have made a lot of mistakes, and pissed a lot of people off. But the guy worked his arse off, likely putting in double the hours most of us do each week for over 25 years in politics. And generally speaking he was trying to do what he thought was right. Just like Keating and Hawke before him, but most unlike Rudd after him.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Well, y'know, when you're committed to non-violence, and all that, you can't take the risk of hurting someone with your non-violent protest.

Reactions: DPK

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez Scarfy talk about red rag to a bull. Howard had his faults but all PMs do. I actually think his perceived faults have been made to look a little better now that someone else is in the job- the Aboriginal situation has not changed (with the exception of the apology, which really made little practical difference), the refugee situation has worsened, we are still committed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Rudd and Gillard pretty much continued the Howard legacy in regards to social policy, so why don't they inspire the same hatred that Howard does in some quarters? I think it is very fashionable to pour shit on Howard, simple as that. I don't love the guy but I think he cops a bad rap for some of the decisions he made. There were many areas where I would not have done anything different (eg Afghanistan and Iraq).

Status
Not open for further replies.