• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
100%. Wrong thread but this is especially important for Super Rugby. All teams should all have to submit their playing 23 to the competition manager (SANZAA) for release at the same time. This would also include an NFL style injury report noting expected return dates of players.

Media, fans, betting agents, punters, fantasy sports players would all appreciate it. What is wrong with transparency?

South African teams seem to be the worst for it, when Aussie teams are playing abroad they’re pretty bad as well.

Again they could easily adopt the same process the NRL uses though, that kind of direction needs to be stipulated by SANZAAR though, and they’re a pretty spineless organisation as a far as competition managing goes.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
South African teams seem to be the worst for it, when Aussie teams are playing abroad they’re pretty bad as well.

Again they could easily adopt the same process the NRL uses though, that kind of direction needs to be stipulated by SANZAAR though, and they’re a pretty spineless organisation as a far as competition managing goes.

I'd suggest that part of the issue is that Sydney (SANZAA HO) is 8 hours ahead South Africa.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Two examples I saw, both by James Kane. Great to see a kicking winger of ability. Perhaps earning himself a chance with the Tahs.

First kick led directly to a try for NSW Country and the second put a lot of pressure on the Sydney side, but not sure if a try resulted.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's not ideal. But on the plus side. Saw an example of the 50/22 in the Syd/NSWC game. Worked out well imo.

I think the idea of all games on same day makes sense for fledgling competition ( which it still is after being in 5th year)....but yes was one case where game slightly overlapped, plus some stream issues...otherwise I think it is great result to have all games on same day and all on rugby.com.au

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
A goal line drop-out in the Brisbane-Fiji game when Seru Uru held up over the line. Any other games have one ?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well I was pretty impressed with quality of the the 3 games I watched this weekend, only game I didn't watch was the Vikings vs Melbourne. From the games I watched I thought the team cohesion was pretty good across all teams considering they haven't been assembled for long and it was the first hit out for the season, plenty of big hits in defence as well.

I like the 20/50 rule or whatever it is, its quite smart and certainly not easy to execute, although it is a little gimmicky.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A goal line drop-out in the Brisbane-Fiji game when Seru Uru held up over the line. Any other games have one ?

Yep, one in the Rising/Vikings game too when Vikings were held up over the line. Thought the Rising took too much time to take the kick. Not sure if the ref held them up, but they would have been better served if they could have taken it immediately while the Vikings were concentrated around the area of play.

Also noted in two games, the 50/22 successful kicks were all from general attacking play when there was space at the back of the defensive line. Didn't see any 22/50 kicks as clearing kicks from near own goal line all seemed still to be put into touch on the full, or the attacking side had sufficient players back to cover any long kicks down the field before they reached touch.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've now watched 3 of the 4 games yesterday. All of which were very entertaining. Really good start for the NRC. I really hope they keep this structure intact. If they do, which they should, they really need to look to really begin to develop the overall package surrounding the competition.

I like the free to view option of the stream. Would like to see them invest more in improving the overall quality to something similar to that offered by the Shute Shield broadcast. From there they could look to pursue a similar arrangement with the likes of 7 to broadcast a game of the round. Potentially even on a delay. Do as MLR in the States does and go for sponsorship revenue split. This would go a long way to helping provide the competition with some much needed exposure.

Working on the game day experience and working with the host venues to draw in better crowds also needs to be high on that list. What GPS did yesterday was fantastic. Looked good on the stream. From there extending the schedule to 10 rounds would also help.

I wonder if they could look to garner to some EOI's from investors to help achieve some of these issues.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've now watched 3 of the 4 games yesterday. All of which were very entertaining. Really good start for the NRC. I really hope they keep this structure intact. If they do, which they should, they really need to look to really begin to develop the overall package surrounding the competition.

I like the free to view option of the stream. Would like to see them invest more in improving the overall quality to something similar to that offered by the Shute Shield broadcast. From there they could look to pursue a similar arrangement with the likes of 7 to broadcast a game of the round. Potentially even on a delay. Do as MLR in the States does and go for sponsorship revenue split. This would go a long way to helping provide the competition with some much needed exposure.

Working on the game day experience and working with the host venues to draw in better crowds also needs to be high on that list. What GPS did yesterday was fantastic. Looked good on the stream. From there extending the schedule to 10 rounds would also help.

On what I saw the positives:
1. Yes for me the stream on Rugby.com.au was big hit as the fox stream was too complicated and yes you have to have a fox subscription. With stream of all games this is huge game changer imo as finally giving all people access to games without having to have to pay for a subscription. Streaming services the future so this could well get around problem of not being on FTA.
2. Need to make sure stream reliable - Force vs QLD Country game meant lost a lot of people who could not access given only available after 35 minutes.
3. Finally seem to sort out NSW problem child - NSW teams under Tahs seem to be much improved as I did think Sydney side on paper was weak but surprised me for last 60 minutes of their game.
4. Seems nearly all sides found generally nice balance and all taking it seriously - early years chop and change questionable whether all sides taking the competition seriously. Also good to see them giving u20 players game time.
5. Some places seem to be working out how to better maximise game day experience e.g. game at GPS.
6. Having all games on same day - this I thought was really clever to maximise awareness of games on.
7. Streaming games on Rugby.com assume means oppportunities for RA to make more money from advertising (video ads when first click on) and help offset costs. I assume we are getting ready for Fox sports dropping NRC completely, noting they are now down to just one game they televise.
8. Streaming all games on Rugby.com.au is making it a central destination for all things NRC which makes it easier for fans to access, build awareness and stickiness.

The negatives or improvement opportunities:

1. I do wonder whether if they can announce provisionally squads towards end of club competitions but while latter still running so the clubs get make more of a fanfare of their players selected for NRC, and promote at the club games getting along to NRC to watch these players play for the NRC teams selected for.
2. Marketing still a challenge - nothing in Sunday papers about yesterdays games.
3. We have got to do something to improve the awareness and marketing of the start of the NRC competition as still one of the best kept secrets.
4. The Melbourne Rising stream was bit ordinary as was the choice of oval where played next to another local game being on oval next door. Does not look good from a viewing experience.

I must have a lot of positive bias as I don't feel I have many more negatives/improvement opportunities at this point.

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
1. Yes for me the stream on Rugby.com.au was big hit as the fox stream was too complicated and yes you have to have a fox subscription. With stream of all games this is huge game changer imo as finally giving all people access to games without having to have to pay for a subscription. Streaming services the future so this could well get around problem of not being on FTA.
2. Need to make sure stream reliable - Force vs QLD Country game meant lost a lot of people who could not access given only available after 35 minutes.
3. Finally seem to sort out NSW problem child - NSW teams under Tahs seem to be much improved as I did think Sydney side on paper was weak but surprised me for last 60 minutes of their game.
4. Seems nearly all sides found generally nice balance and all taking it seriously - early years chop and change questionable whether all sides taking the competition seriously. Also good to see them giving u20 players game time.
5. Some places seem to be working out how to better maximise game day experience e.g. game at GPS.
6. Having all games on same day - this I thought was really clever to maximise awareness of games on.
7. Streaming games on Rugby.com assume means oppportunities for RA to make more money from advertising (video ads when first click on) and help offset costs. I assume we are getting ready for Fox sports dropping NRC completely, noting they are now down to just one game they televise.
8. Streaming all games on Rugby.com.au is making it a central destination for all things NRC which makes it easier for fans to access, build awareness and stickiness.

1. I do wonder whether if they can announce provisionally squads towards end of club competitions but while latter still running so the clubs get make more of a fanfare of their players selected for NRC, and promote at the club games getting along to NRC to watch these players play for the NRC teams selected for.
2. Marketing still a challenge - nothing in Sunday papers about yesterdays games.
3. We have got to do something to improve the awareness and marketing of the start of the NRC competition as still one of the best kept secrets.
4. The Melbourne Rising stream was bit ordinary as was the choice of oval where played next to another local game being on oval next door. Does not look good from a viewing experience.

I must have a lot of positive bias as I don't feel I have many more negatives/improvement opportunities at this point.

Harlequins in Melbourne where they've played a number of the Rising games over the competition has been the ground with the best turnouts and atmosphere. Should look to return sooner than later in my opinion.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Harlequins in Melbourne where they've played a number of the Rising games over the competition has been the ground with the best turnouts and atmosphere. Should look to return sooner than later in my opinion.

yes I remember that ground where they have played rising games- better for viewing over broadcast stream.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Oh on the rule changes - only one recall noticing impact was the drop kick in in goal if held up. I think this was good change personally for the couple of times I saw this happen.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the whole experience, especially for the fans, might be enhanced if the NRC competition led somewhere tangible. It is well and good as a pathway to Super contracts etc, but I'm sure the fans would have more commitment if say the NRC winners got to play the Mitre 10 and Currie Cup winners, or similar. Or maybe a representative side selected from each of the competitions to go into some sort of championship. Not sure how Fiji would fit into that scenario, but to have another target/reason for the competition might attract more fans.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep, although there might be such a thing as too much rugby. But I think this is worth talking about.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
were people able to chrome cast the rugby.com.au/rugby explorer stream? I wasn't able to but it may have just been me,