• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

If I was Phil Waugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
..from Planet Rugby
Another Wallaby training session has boiled over into a near-brawl, with young James O'Connor and old head Phil Waugh close to blows on Thursday.

Team-mates had to intervene after Waugh brough O'Connor down and the youngster reacted angrily. The two scuffled on the ground before both getting to their feet with fists cocked.

Matt Hodgson quickly got in between the pair while scrum coach Patricio Noriega shouted, "no punches, no punches!"

It;s the second session in three weeks which has erupted, with Stephen Moore and Ben Alexander scrapping during the build-up to the brief South Africa tour.

O'Connor laughed off the incident, putting it down to the raised competition levels in training.

"I think a lot of enthusiasm was brought today to training, it's pretty competitive as you saw, but I think we're training how we want to play - with a bit more mongrel ... but it's all in good niggle," he said to Sportal.

Asked if he was happy the scuffle was separated before any punches were thrown, O'Connor laughed: "We were getting pretty competitive and I don't think either of us wanted to back down but it was good - it's all in good fun.

"I think our approach is we've got to bring a bit more mongrel to the game and step up our physicality, so I think that's what we brought to training today and like I said it was pretty intense.

"When I'm on the rugby field I get competitive and I switch into my rugby mode so whatever happens on the park stays on the park, and I'm just excited really for the next game."

As with many training ground dust-ups these days, captain George Smith took it as a positive, saying it reflected the hunger prevalent in the squad.

"I think it shows that we care about what we do and the work that we do out here on the field," he said.

"The boys want to perform and improve as players and when you do see contests like that, it shows that the players care about what they do."

Another face on the field - although nowhere near the incident - was Rocky Elsom, who has nearly completed a recovery from bone-bruising to the knee and is widely expected to be back in the team to take on New Zealand next Saturday.

Matt Giteau sat out Thursday's session with a dead leg but is considered a definite starter for the August 22 clash.

If I was Phil Waugh I'd have cracked him just for thinking he could get one in.

Cheeky Shit. Didn't even have the respect to say he wouldn't want to tussle with the angry He-man.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
A few things bug me about this article... JOC (James O'Connor) comes out of it like some sort of macho tough guy, it's like he doesn't comprehend the only reason he walked away from the confrontation is cause Phil chose to let him live.

we've got to bring a bit more mongrel to the game and step up our physicality
More mongrel is not a bad thing, from the FORWARDS. WTF is a fullback getting involved for? If JOC (James O'Connor) shows up next Saturday to clear out rucks then we're in big trouble...

B

Burkey_The_Dog

More rockstar attitude from a Western Force player? Big surprise there.

I would have bitten his leg, but then I'D BE THE ONE being put down...

Justice for Burkey would be needed!

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Moses said:
A few things bug me about this article... JOC (James O'Connor) comes out of it like some sort of macho tough guy, it's like he doesn't comprehend the only reason he walked away from the confrontation is cause Phil chose to let him live.

Love it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd have thought being sat on his arse would have been a great object lesson for him - a big head at this stage of his career is NOT what is needed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Waugh probably should have gone on with it. The youth of today.

Could you imagine what Poido wouldve done to 19 year old Jason Little if Jas called him slow and old?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Can you imagine some young smart arse young Wallaby doing this to Stan Pileki, Simon Poidevin, Mark Loane or Tony Shaw and living?

Great self control shown from Waugh

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Can you imagine some young smart arse young Wallaby doing this to Stan Pileki, Simon Poidevin, Mark Loane or Tony Shaw and living?
I blame Shapre, kid should have been smashed into shape during the Super14

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Remember the Josh Lewsey and Danny Cipriani incident? If he has a bad attitude, O'Connor will cop it from someone. Its just a matter of time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
More mongrel is not a bad thing, from the FORWARDS. WTF is a fullback getting involved for? If JOC (James O'Connor) shows up next Saturday to clear out rucks then we're in big trouble...

I'd be happy for him to start clearing rucks if he is the first or second man there. Better than sitting waiting for the forwards to show up.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep Phil Waugh should have chinned the little shit, JOC (James O'Connor) walks away like "yeah I had a chance"

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He might be a little shit, but I prefer him to be standing up to the older guys around him rather than backing down. In a heated training session or middle of a game when adrenalin is running do you really want his first instinct to be to back down from a physical confrontation?

Beale and Cooper have that instinct regarding hard physical contact, O'Connor doesn't, and that is why he is a long way above them in the pecking order.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Good point Scotty. Everyone talks about Rabbit's footwork in attack, but his defensive work is brilliant for a kid.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If I was Phil Waugh I would tell my agent to go find me a NH package becuase the only reason Deans has kept me around is as insurance policy if Pocock didn't step up so now I am really going to to add to the splinter collection in my backside. Clearly I am frustrated because I know the end is nigh. So let me see, who is the smallest bloke in the squad I can slap around a bit? :fishing

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
If I were Phil Waugh, I'd be more concerned about my mediocre form in club rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.