• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

If players are getting cold, why aren't they wearing warmer gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I saw this issue raised elsewhere, but thought I'd repeat it here in the wake of the Scotland test in Newcastle.

If players like Genia and Ioane are shivering and getting so cold out there in these sorts of conditions that it is affecting motor-control, causing them to be sub-par, etc., then why aren’t they wearing better clothing?

Matt Hodgson suffered a similar thing a few years ago in Ireland.

I know there are rules about what clothing/gear can be worn, but FFS, get an extra layer on!

A lightweight, warmer polyprop version of a shoulder protection vest or bike shorts layer similar to what players often already wear may be all that’s needed.

Especially for some of the backs who were often out of the action, standing out there shivering and waiting to make a tackle or waiting for the ball to arrive.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is this to provide extra warmth? If not, you could surely make a thermal version.

_44181410_habana416.jpg

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Did you guys see Pocock giving the speech after the game? He was shivering so badly he could barely talk.

Made me wonder the exact same thing about warmer jerseys. I remember players wearing full length sleaves, at the least, back in yesteryear.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pocock actually had hypothermia which is why he didn't front the official post match conference.

I don't think manufacturers take into account potential blizzards or gales. Skins aren't actually designed to keep you warm

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Did you guys see Pocock giving the speech after the game? He was shivering so badly he could barely talk.

Made me wonder the exact same thing about warmer jerseys. I remember players wearing full length sleaves, at the least, back in yesteryear.

I saw him on the big screen but was hard to make out. I'll have to look for a video on it. Maybe the Rugby club tonight will have it on. Actually looking forward to the Rugby club tonight, it'll be interesting.

Pocock actually had hypothermia which is why he didn't front the official post match conference.

I don't think manufacturers take into account potential blizzards or gales. Skins aren't actually designed to keep you warm

Not Skins I know but UnderArmour I'm sure has Heat hear and Cold gear for different conditions?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Often see Masaga wear this in cold weather. I've noticed he's taken it off at half-time a couple of times as well.

Lelia+Masaga+Super+Rugby+Rd+12+Chiefs+v+Highlanders+SA9qNlg-Wkml.jpg

A bit off topic but does anyone remember those fingerless gloves that were all the rave a number of years ago?? Don't see them too much anymore. A couple of times playing here in Canberra I've thought about where I mite find a pair though....lol

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I used to whip out the gloves if it was a freezing cold wet game. They actually helped, I can only think of a handful of players who still use them (Thion, Brock James, Sowerby).

I felt the skins help but they certainly don't prevent the cold. Does anyone remember the full gloves Barnes and a few others wore against France a few seasons ago?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think the players just need to get exposed to conditions like on Tuesday more often.
Wet weather conditions playing with a slippery ball, sure. But that's not what I'm talking about. Cold and wind exposure - you ain't gonna do that in reality.

It's not going to work for players who live permanently in Brisbane, Perth, or even Sydney when they have to train and play in warmer conditions. It can take months (and for some people, years) of being in a climate to properly acclimatise. A camp for a week in Scotland before playing EOYT tests might help hone wet weather skills, but most of our jokers will still be freezing their arses off.

Players who live in Canberra will be better off in that respect. When people move south to Canberra from most other parts of Australia, they typically freeze for the first winter before getting used to it. For someone like Genia, even moving from PNG to Brisbane back in the day he would have been feeling the winter cold there. And then when these folks go to the tropics they can't handle the heat and humidity.

It's better to wear the right gear when you need it. A lot of heat is lost through the head so players like Barnes/Giteau in headgear would do slightly better in the cold.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I used to whip out the gloves if it was a freezing cold wet game. They actually helped, I can only think of a handful of players who still use them (Thion, Brock James, Sowerby).

I felt the skins help but they certainly don't prevent the cold. Does anyone remember the full gloves Barnes and a few others wore against France a few seasons ago?
I think any gloves have to be fingerless according to the laws.

Full-body skins, I think, are also not allowed, (have to be separate at the waist, and end above the knee) but nickerbocker shorts and rashies (like Bullrush posted of Masaga )would appear to be okay.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27112010/5/photo/27112010231404.html

Those are the ones I'm refering too. I can't say I've seen them much since though.
Blimminell. Don't remember those. Looking at his left hand, looks as though they might be fingerless?
iHJVjFOoKiLNJ.jpg

Had a look at the laws:

DEFINITIONS
Players’ clothing is anything players wear.
A player wears a jersey, shorts and underwear, socks and boots.
Detailed information relating to the permitted specifications for clothing and studs maybe found in IRB Specifications (Regulation 12).

4.1 ADDITIONAL ITEMS OF CLOTHING
(a) A player may wear supports made of elasticated or compressible materials which must be washable.
(b) A player may wear shin guards which conform with IRB Specifications (Regulation 12).
(c) A player may wear ankle supports worn under socks, not extending higher than one third of the length of the shin and, if rigid, from material other than metal.
(d) A player may wear mitts (fingerless gloves) which must conform to IRB Specifications (Regulation 12).
(e) A player may wear shoulder pads which must bear the IRB Approval Mark (Regulation 12).
(f) A player may wear a mouth guard or dental protector.
(g) A player may wear headgear which must bear the IRB Approval Mark (Regulation 12).
(h) A player may wear bandages and/or dressings to cover or protect any injury.
(i) A player may wear thin tape or other similar material as support and/or to prevent injury
4.1 BANNED ITEMS OF CLOTHING
(a) A player must not wear any item that is contaminated by blood.
(b) A player must not wear any item that is sharp or abrasive.
(c) A player must not wear any items containing buckles, clips, rings, hinges, zippers, screws, bolts or rigid material or projection not otherwise permitted under this Law.
(d) A player must not wear jewellery such as rings or earrings.
(e) A player must not wear gloves.
(f) A player must not wear shorts with padding sewn into them.
(g) A player must not wear any other item which does not conform with the IRB Specifications for such clothing (Regulation 12).
(h) A player must not wear any item that is normally permitted by Law, but, in the referee’s opinion that is liable to cause injury to a player.
(i) A player must not wear a single stud at the toe of the boot.
(j) A player must not wear communication devices within that player’s clothing or attached to the body.
(k) A player must not wear any additional item of clothing that does not conform to IRB Regulation 12.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
True, but there are other similar garments that are. Maybe the Wobs aren't aloud to wear them due to sponsorship issues?
If the brand is not displayed?

Barnes looks to be wearing a lot of gear in the photo above and that's from 18 months ago.

J

Jiggles

I've played a bit of rugby in the UK, in london and up around Yorkshire, in the backrow. On really cold days, like a once in 2 or 3 year days when the max temp would be around 1 or 2 on a game day, I used to wear double skins on top and have a pair of calf warmers under the socks. A game I played near Richmond in Yorkshire was particularly bad, it is the only time I have felt cold while doing a contact sport.

I felt that once you got into the game you were ok, but you needed to rug up at HT and as soon as the game stopped due to the moister on your skin. Sure the conditions with wind chill were shithouse on Tuesday, but were they really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.