• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

If Robbie goes who should replace him as Wallabies coach?

Who should be the Wallabies coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Given the results of the "Should Deans go?" thread, who would you choose to step up as our national coach?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Can this thread be closed with the vote option staying open? I don't think anything new is going to come up.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Can this thread be closed with the vote option staying open? I don't think anything new is going to come up.

Totally disagree :)

This is a discussion with Robbie out of the picture, so it is looking forward not back.

Let's see how it progresses.

As for me, I place the Wobbs over the Reds and fervently hope Link gets the job.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have confidence White would do an amazing job, But id rather see him stay at the Brumbies and Id rather give an Aussie a go. Link all the way.

Although i do think we are a little over-confident in Links abilities. It is still unknown at how effective his coaching skills will be at Test Level (White has already won a World Cup). However I have 100% more confidence in Link then Deans.

Surely Link is next in line, the only question is when? We would all rather sooner then later but its looking like right after the Lion's tour.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
My Mum... couldn't do worse.

Then again, after looking at:

David Campese, the former Australia winger, has lambasted the Wallabies for their inability to score tries and called for head coach Robbie Deans to be sacked.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/deans-must-be-fired-for-destroying-australia-says-david-campese-20121115-29dpo.html#ixzz2CI5uMHzv

Maybe we have Deans all wrong. Either way this article by Campese leaves me in the untenable position of supporting a fool.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have confidence White would do an amazing job, But id rather see him stay at the Brumbies and Id rather give an Aussie a go. Link all the way.

Although i do think we are a little over-confident in Links abilities. It is still unknown at how effective his coaching skills will be at Test Level (White has already won a World Cup). However I have 100% more confidence in Link then Deans.

Surely Link is next in line, the only question is when? We would all rather sooner then later but its looking like right after the Lion's tour.

It always amuses me when this old furphy comes up in association with this subject. Jake White's only coaching experience before being successful with the Boks was as the SA Under-21 coach, and as a schoolboy rugby coach, so please, lets not hear any more of how important previous "Test" level experience is. It effectively means that our only candidates are White, Bob Dwyer, Clive Woodward, Rod MacQueen and Graham Henry.

Regardless of how good JW is (and I think he is a very good coach), our national team must never again be coached by a foreigner. It states, as it has done for the last 5 years, that Australia cannot produce a competent Rugby Union coach.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My Mum. couldn't do worse.

Then again, after looking at:

Maybe we have Deans all wrong. Either way this article by Campese leaves me in the untenable position of supporting a fool.

When you find yourself agreeing with Campo you realise how low we've sunk.
@sandpit whatever it is that has made the Deans experiment a failure we need to learn the lesson. I too think White could be fantastic. But he's in the wrong place at the wrong time - or possibly, from his perspective, he'd dodge a bullet by not getting the gig.
However much we think rugby is rugby there must be something about the difference between nations that you can't ignore when coaching their rugby teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I guess the choice of who should replace Deans will depend on the timing of the decision. If it was to be done before the end of the tour then Totalitarian Tony or Nucifora would be the logical choices as an interim coach before a proper recruitment process can be undertaken. This option scares me a bit as, say Deans is axed after this weekend, it gives one of these guys the chance to win two tests and increases their chances of getting the job. The best option would be for Deans to fall on his sword after the tour and the ARU find the best replacement for the job. I believe Link is the guy. Having heard him talk quite a few times he seems to have the temperament for the role.
I think White should stay at the Brumbies a bit longer. He had a really good first season turning them around but I think he will get more out of them over the coming years. For the good of Australian rugby I want all of the Aussie teams to have good structures in place to move forward.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
The team should be run by the GnG rugby forum members. While the ARU find a overseas coach to give the Job to.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Link is the only real option if Deans is punted

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Definately an Aussie who is respected by the players and currently coaching S15. Link would be my vote. He has got the best out of the reds players in his time there. Would probably do the same with the non-reds. Most importantly he speaks plain English - something the players and supporters haven't had for 5 years. This alone will make a big difference.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dingo was a multiple Super Rugby winning Coach, with Assistant Lords of Darkness experience.

Link has won one Super Rugby title, and had time as Assistant Coach at Men In Gold Level.

While Link may be the best man for the job, I would still like to see the position opened up for all interested parties to apply for it, to see what they can offer.

It is clear from recent experience that success at Super Rugby level and some time as international level as an assistant does not guarantee success as Head Coach of a Tier 1 International team.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Given the results of the "Should Deans go?" thread, who would you choose to step up as our national coach?

I just wanted to throw this out there Roundawhile. I wouldn't read a whole lot into the results of the "Should Deans Go" thread. For this simple reason, that I didn't even venture into that thread until this one popped up. I'm not a Deans supporter, but I'm not yet at calling for him to be sacked. It is my opinion that the people that want him sacked, believe so quite passionately and will most definitely go in there and post their view that he should go. Those that don't want him sacked (or like me, don't have an opinion either way) seem to tire very quickly of the "sack Deans now" sentiment and tend not to comment. There are quite a few prominent contributors to this forum that are noticeably absent from that thread.

So whilst the overwhelming view coming out of the "Should Deans Go" thread is that he should, I don't think it is representative of the GaGR community as a whole, but then again you probably are aware of this. It doesn't mean that this topic isn't a worthwhile discussion - it is. More so that people shouldn't hold the view that the support for Deans to be sacked is total and I get the impression that some people do.

Just my 2c. Continue... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.