• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

If you could change the laws of rugby, what would you change?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Penalise players for not supporting their own weight as soon as their hands touch the ground or body rests on the tackled player. Was watching Wales vs Georgia yesterday and what a commentator described as a ‘textbook turnover’ started with the Welsh player bridging and only grabbing the ball after he had absorbed the initial hit. Will speed up the rucks and stop dirty pilfs.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If ref suspects foul play, he gets a couple of looks in the bbig screen to confirm it, and gives a yellow card for all cases.

The duty judicial officer then has 10 minutes off the heat to review the footage to determine if it gets upgraded to red.

If stays at yellow, after 10 mins player is permitted to return to the field
If red, after 10 mins player is replaced and refered to judiciary. Return to XV v XV for the match

Take the ref watching a big screen and poorly communicating with the TMO out of the red v yellow descision.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
If ref suspects foul play, he gets a couple of looks in the bbig screen to confirm it, and gives a yellow card for all cases.

The duty judicial officer then has 10 minutes off the heat to review the footage to determine if it gets upgraded to red.

If red, after 10 mins player is replaced and refered to judiciary. Return to XV v XV for the match

Take the ref watching a big screen and poorly communicating with the TMO out of the red v yellow descision.

Really like the idea but I think the punishment needs to be longer than 10mins. 15-20mins would work for me.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)

This idea deserves a trial.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Only question I see is whether 10 minutes down to 14 men is a sufficient deterrent for a red card offense.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am still torn on how severe the punishment for a red card needs to be. I tend to think there still needs to be a full game punishment available but likewise can see the merit for the in-between sanction of 10 minutes down a player than that player gets replaced. I think a third card is the way to go here.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
What sort of foul play does a red card currently deter that 10 minutes off, mandatory replacement, and a subsequent suspension would not?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What sort of foul play does a red card currently deter that 10 minutes off, mandatory replacement, and a subsequent suspension would not?

I think the deterrent is largely the suspension so I think that is fine.

My question with this would be whether the in game penalty is sufficient. 20 minutes down a player then you can bring on a replacement might be better.

10 minutes and then replaced is barely a harsher penalty than a yellow card and I think the team that is wronged is entitled to a bigger advantage for a red card offence than that.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Penalise players for not supporting their own weight as soon as their hands touch the ground or body rests on the tackled player. Was watching Wales vs Georgia yesterday and what a commentator described as a ‘textbook turnover’ started with the Welsh player bridging and only grabbing the ball after he had absorbed the initial hit. Will speed up the rucks and stop dirty pilfs.

I think the policing of not supporting ones own weight has been generally terrible this cup and yes, the Georgia vs Wales game was particularly bad. The Fiji/Aus game was awful too.

It would be nice if they policed the offside law more diligently as well. Some of the rush defence by England wasnt rush defence at all - it was plain offside.

I know they have trialled a second on-field ref in a SA comp last year but I havent seen the recommendations from the trial. Might be the solution as it would allow one ref to get the ruck right and one for offside.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the policing of not supporting ones own weight has been generally terrible this cup and yes, the Georgia vs Wales game was particularly bad. The Fiji/Aus game was awful too.

It's something I thought the refs did well to crack down on in recent times, but it's definitely crept back in recently and have noticed it a lot in the NRC as well.........

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think the deterrent is largely the suspension so I think that is fine.

My question with this would be whether the in game penalty is sufficient. 20 minutes down a player then you can bring on a replacement might be better.

10 minutes and then replaced is barely a harsher penalty than a yellow card and I think the team that is wronged is entitled to a bigger advantage for a red card offence than that.
Ah ok, so more a retribution angle, I can see arguments for that but it might just be something you have to cop to avoid lineball red cards from things like aerial challenges killing a game. League still allows for sendoffs but it’s basically become redundant — they’ve sent 2 guys off since 2015, with someone like George Burgess only getting 10 minutes for an attempted eye-gouge.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
^ I assumed FG wants to bring back rucking (yes please); stop backs joining scrums (agree), stop guys cleaning out past the ball (already covered as you say, just needs to be policed way better) & ball to be "live" as soon as the 9 touches it (with proviso that the smasher come from an onside position, agree with proud pig :)).

I'd want rolling maul to be classed as obstruction as soon as there's a player in front of the ball-carrier OR able to be taken down per the ELV from a few years back.

I should clarify I WANT to roll back the law change that limited the number of players in the scrum. Us backs want the option to pretend to be forwards every now and then. I recall a few big shoves from my days when we all piled in!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Every reserve who runs onto the pitch to congratulate a teammate for scoring a try has to serve a ban of no less than six months.
Joking of course but it is a pet peeve of mine that’s getting more and more common!

I glad I not the only one who gets pissed with that drew, also teams warming up in the in goal area, the laws of rugby say that each team have only 15 players on the field of play, and field of play is from deadball line to deadball line and game is still in progress when a try is scored!!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I glad I not the only one who gets pissed with that drew, also teams warming up in the in goal area, the laws of rugby say that each team have only 15 players on the field of play, and field of play is from deadball line to deadball line and game is still in progress when a try is scored!!
I've been part of big argument about this before. Turns out the field of play is goal line to goal line.

They should change the law!
playing-enclosure-en.jpg