• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

I'm confused/disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Up at local rugby club last night,having chat to mate that just got back from the opening 12 days of WC. He was telling me couple of papers had a poll on WC re if All Blacks don't win, who would kiwis like to see win it.
. Over 80% of kiwis said they would go for Australia, funnily enough thats what I have picked up from my family at home, but now I disappointed, I thought my family were only saying it because I live here, but appears I not that important after all.::):lmao:

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
That's funny, the poll on the Silver Fern had 80% wanting anyone else OTHER than Australia to win

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's funny, the poll on the Silver Fern had 80% wanting anyone else OTHER than Australia to win

The've distilled their feelings for us much better on the Fern. Anyway, I suspect a few voted 50 times each. A couple over there REALLY don't like us. Most are OK.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Probably did Gagger, I suspect you could take a poll of anything on any given day and get a different result, not saying either one correct, or actually taking notice of either one to be honest, but I suspect most people just take whichever one suits their argument or whatever.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
NZers must have realised that when compared to England and South Africa winning the RWC, we're the lesser of three evils.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Dunno BH, antipathy against Aussie can run deep. I recall in the 87 cup sitting in a room with family friends watching the Aus-Fra game. Buggers wanted France to win and this only a few years after the rainbow warrior affair that got a kiwi killed.

I'd wager any conversation between an Aussie and a kiwi about sporting rivalry would include an underarm incident within 30 minutes.

I doubt many at all are even aware of the Meads Catchpole incident.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i just want the winner to score tries> not another non event like 2007 which i refuse to acknowledge as a game of rugby
anyone but england>

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I would like to see France win it. Just because they have been to the final twice and not won it.

And following the same theory, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Argentina.

Not likely, however just someone who hasn't won it before or needs the tournament on home soil to win it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
anyone but england works for me. Preference is for a first time winner but thats probably unrealistic.

This is no different to a kiwi wanting anyone but Aussie isn't it??

Ath, most people I knew during 87 would of simply wanted France to win as they were seen as underdog. I can't believe anyone worries about underarm incident either, NZ were never going to win the game, and I suspect most Kiwis were like me, didn't evn realise there was anything wrong with the underarm until Ian Chappel said so on commentary, and it promoted cricket to no end in NZ.
I would also add talk to any OZ about sport and guaranteed Richie McCaw will come up in 5 minutes.
I still think a lot of kiwis would be happy for Wallabies to win if not the ABs, that is from conversations etc I have had with them.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
This is no different to a kiwi wanting anyone but Aussie isn't it??

Ath, most people I knew during 87 would of simply wanted France to win as they were seen as underdog. I can't believe anyone worries about underarm incident either, NZ were never going to win the game, and I suspect most Kiwis were like me, didn't evn realise there was anything wrong with the underarm until Ian Chappel said so on commentary, and it promoted cricket to no end in NZ.
I would also add talk to any OZ about sport and guaranteed Richie McCaw will come up in 5 minutes.
I still think a lot of kiwis would be happy for Wallabies to win if not the ABs, that is from conversations etc I have had with them.

danny, if you didn't know anything was wrong with the underarm then you must have been working the salt mines in siberia. I appreciate Levin does have its similarities but even at the age of 9 or so, I smelt a rat ;-)

I don't want SA, AUS or England to win as they would go too far ahead of us in world cup count. They are our closest rivals and I don't want to see them do well, I suppose after living in england for a long time it is similar to a football mentality - not wanting to see Man U do well in europe simply because they are a rival to liverpool. I am sick of those countries winning it and even more sick of England getting to the final (Living in london as I do).

Time for the Blackness to step up.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
If England win the final, I will probably just give up. Not by choice, but it will be too crushing to keep watching Rugby. For a while, anyway.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Well on the brightside Grub, things have never looked better for NZ. Once Read comes back in, the team is one of the strongest Kiwis have fielded in a while. Halfback is an issue, tho thats not new for the ABs, and I think the winger FB setup hasn't been ideal to arrive at, but that's largely academic as the whole backline is excellent and its only some combinations that might suffer. Well and your locks. So thats your FB, wingers, halfback, and locks. But the hooker is good, great even, well some could argue Hore should be there. So it's all good except your wingers, FB, halfback, locks and hooker. And one of your props. Er, Read is coming back right?

So long as DC's back is alright... Er, does that leave anyone? Oh, Richie and the invisibility cloak that every ref in christendom knows about.

Kidding! As I said the ABs whether they want it or not are clear favourites now, and deservedly so.

U

Utility Back

Yeh new nation to win would be great for the game, especially ireland, make us look better, especially if they play Samoa in the final :p

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
I'd rather an invitation Taleban XV than England, or the Iranian Barbarians! Any effers but Lurch's crew!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The've distilled their feelings for us much better on the Fern. Anyway, I suspect a few voted 50 times each. A couple over there REALLY don't like us. Most are OK.

Like in 2003 when England won the RWC and everyone in Oz was voting multiple times for Tim Henman as UK sportsman of the year in the hope Lord Wilkinson wouldn't win it?

B

Blob

Any chance of combining the 'whinging about Kiwis hating us' threads into one titanic thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.