• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Improving Wallabies 13s stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Currently the wallabies have one outside center in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) that is what I would consider to be international standard. Other than 2 dads this seems to be an area where the drop in standards to the back up 13s is significant. Not since Mortlock have we had an outside center that put fear into the opposition, someone who had pace, size, defense and attack all at a high level. While AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) does a good job for the Wallabies and the Tahs I feel that without him our centers look poor, or at best only good on 2 or 3 of the points listed above.

I'd like to talk about potential for new centers in next years super rugby competition. We currently have a few players playing in the back three that I believe would be better coming a bit closer to the action:

1. Tomane: While Kurandrani, Smith and McCabe do a reasonable job none of them stand out as an international quality centre. Tomane is over 100kgs, we know he's fast, can tackle and played his junior footy as a 5/8 and fullback so he should have the distribution skills required. I can see him as a player that could become an excellent 13.

2. Folau: Big, Strong and Fast with footwork to get on the outside of his man and the size to run straight through opposing defenses. I don't think I need to lay out many more points of Folau, the more time he gets with the ball in his hands the better.

3. CFS: The kid is a behemoth, has played 13 at schoolboys and dominated, has some work to do on his defense but he's got bucket loads of potential.

4. JOC (James O'Connor): I know a lot of people would like to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 but I feel this is more of a reaction to Cooper playing 10, pushing O'Connor into a wider defensive channel so JOC (James O'Connor) and QC (Quade Cooper) aren't trying to stop international 12s punching through them. Personally I would rather see JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and feel he could become our next Horan.

Thoughts?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
My vote is Sautia at 13. I think he will be there before the 2015 world cup as well. Folau is bloody good but I really don't see him sticking around after the 2015 world cup (if he sticks around at all) and if we can get him kicking, he is a far better option coming in as a counter attacking beast.

I reckon QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) would be a formidable pairing at 10 and 12. They are still quite young and if Quade continues to improve his tackling as he has this year, him an O'Connor will be fine in defence. On top of that, as good mates they will have a natural combination and would take alot of the pressure off each other. Imagine O'Connor making a line break (as he always does) and offloading to Sautia, it would be ridiculously hard to stop. And Chris can play the bash it up 13 if we need it as well but at the same time deliver to the wingers when needed.

Edit: Quade is actually quite a large flyhalf as well and has shown he can bop fijians and Kiwi forwards in the past. On top of that, Sautia is still growing. His thighs are the size of my torso!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
My guess is that CFS is the future. I'm not sure that Folau is going to get a run there any time soon, assuming he sticks around. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has that position sewn up at the Waratahs and I don't think Cheika is going to move him. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been excellent in almost every game and is a leader on the team. So while Folau has potential, I think he'll be kept at 15 if he stays.

The Reds will have a great set of inside backs next season. 10 Cooper 12 Taps 13 CFS.

D

daz

My vote hasn't changed. If he continues to develop the way he is going, in 2014 the jumper will sit very comfortably on Mitch Inman.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Inman is the only one of them over 100 kgs. CFS is quoted on the Reds site as 92 kgs! Hard to believe you'd think each leg would weigh that much. Folau is 98kgs and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is about the same. None of them a monsters.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Inman is the only one of them over 100 kgs. CFS is quoted on the Reds site as 92 kgs! Hard to believe you'd think each leg would weigh that much. Folau is 98kgs and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is about the same. None of them a monsters.

I'd put money on CFS being over 100 if not this year, then next year. He's only 19.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Far out we have some decent up and coming talent. Godwin played 10 for the U20s last year, maybe a future prospect?

T

Train Without a Station

I think we are drawing a bit of a long bow with this thread considering only one of the players listed even players there and even then his appearances have been fairly sporadic so far. I think we should wait until we have players performing there, above opponents week in week out in Super rugby before we say the Wallabies stocks are improving.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Inman is far too slow to play 13 at the international level. I've watched a few tries die in his hands because he couldn't turn the corner on his defender and vice versa he gets the corner turned on him by backs that are not of international standard.

CFS is likely the future and I'm glad he has been playing well recently. He showed some flashes in his first start of the year but then puttered out a bit. He needs to grab his current form by the collar and ride it all the way until he's wearing Gold again, then ride it some more. He's over 100kgs now, Ewen confirmed this is a press conference very early this year.

O'Connor is too good on the wing to keep him in the centers. Even playing Super Rugby at 12 he has noticeably less impact as opposed to when he plays just about any other position. Playing outside Cippers and for the Farce could have been a factor there though. I'd like to see him give 13 a crack but if he never does I won't exactly be devastated. He's a world class finisher above all else.

I don't think Izzy will move inside - too dominant under the high ball.

I can see Tomane developing into an AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)-like utility back. He has a very complete skill set and could fill anywhere from 12->15 if he had to. I like the guy a lot and look forward to seeing him in Gold again, he definitely will not be a one-hit-wonder.

That said AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is in the form of his life and in my eyes has been a top-shelf 13 for a very long time. His aggression on kick chases and defense this year has been phenomenal.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think CFS is going to become the best 13 in the country sometime around or after the 2015 RWC. Probably after. I'm guessing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will still be starting then.

Two years is a long time. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could well have been overtaken by someone, particularly if one of the previously mentioned wings or fullbacks moves to 13.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
CFS has what all our great line runners had - balance and leg drive. Think Mortlock, Latham, Ioane. He is a fly halves dream target and is only going to get better.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Kurandrani looks most likely to be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s understudy to me at the moment, he looks to be the most complete footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.