• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Incorrect Ref Call? State of Emergency!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/2...ings-more-heat-to-replacement-refs/?hpt=hp_c2

OK - this is around a larger issue regarding labour disputes etc, and it's apples and oranges (and it's the pointy end of the season), but this missed call in the NFL has State Senate Presidents calling for legislation to stop this sort of thing. The country is in a meltdown over this.

Makes the forwards passes, maul collapses, feet in touch, offside, not grounding properly, and "f#ck knows what's going on in that scrum collapse" seem like genocide.

Plus no one here in the US knows what any of the refs names are. Perhaps Aussie refs should use more tape measures.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
As you said, it's a much larger issue. This one incident is just the latest in a whole series of blunders by the replacement refs, every weekend of the season so far. Fans are losing faith in the league.

But most of all, there is A LOT of money involved.

Also, while not accepted, in rugby missed calls are inevitable when there is only one ref on the field (let's face it - the touchies don't do squat). But when there are about 7 refs on the field + replay technology and they STILL get it wrong - then that is just bewildering.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Also, while not accepted, in rugby missed calls are inevitable when there is only one ref on the field (let's face it - the touchies don't do squat). But when there are about 7 refs on the field + replay technology and they STILL get it wrong - then that is just bewildering.

And yet still inevitable. No matter what the systems and checks you employ there will always be the odd cock up. Especially when refs/umpires move up each level and deal with different pressures.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
And yet still inevitable. No matter what the systems and checks you employ there will always be the odd cock up. Especially when refs/umpires move up each level and deal with different pressures.

I don't disagree - the higher the level, the higher the scrutiny and pressure.

But this isn't the "odd cock-up", it's systematic failure by ill-prepared replacement refs who's experience is in reffing a significantly different game - the college game. There are quite a few rules that are different from the college to pro games. I saw one game where they applied the penalty from the college game in a pro game.

Just to underscore my point about the money involved, an estimated $150-250 MILLION was shifted because of that one single call - never mind teh rest of the blown calls over the past three weeks.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...ckers-disputed-mnf-call-shifted-150-250m-bets
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...ckers-disputed-mnf-call-shifted-150-250m-bets

I'd say that the locked-out NFL refs are in a pretty good bargaining position at the moment!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Perhaps Aussie refs should use more tape measures.

I've previously advocated referees use string and a brickie's plumb weight to determine the vertical fall of a ball during knock-ons, but the addition of tape measures would seem sensible. Could a tape measure perform the string's role?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I've previously advocated referees use string and a brickie's plumb weight to determine the vertical fall of a ball during knock-ons, but the addition of tape measures would seem sensible. Could a tape measure perform the string's role?
Kickstarter would be the place to put it up.
Listening to NPR vie the net this AM they were seething over the injustice of it all.
I dont really care about the millions flowing one way or the other on the wrong call - thats entirely secondary.
What I cannot believe is that the NFL, widely regarded as the most successful US sporting franchise, would risk its "brand" over what can surely only be peanuts for the officials.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Exactly. That particular cockup would not have happened with two experienced umpires manning the in zone.

The guys umpiring are from whats is essentially the third league. The game and pressure is too fast for them.

Everyone has been saying it will be okay to cop until someone loses a game. Well Green Bay lost the game because of the dumbest possible call.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Bill does a good Monday admission that they got the wrong call.
I read Obama has expressed an opinion on the issue: is Minnesota a swing state?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
Bill does a good Monday admission that they got the wrong call.
I read Obama has expressed an opinion on the issue: is Minnesota a swing state?

No, but Wisconsin (Green Bay) is!

The rich owners of the franchises bet their billions that they could lock out the refs and bring them to their knees for labor concessions. They made a bad bet.

Think about it - everybody is making BIG money - except for the refs, on whose judgments the game depends on.

In terms of comparison, look at the minimum salaries for NFL players:

Rookie - $390,000 > 10+ year veteran - $925,000

And that's guaranteed regardless of whether they play a game or not, before bonuses, endorsements, etc.
Refs make ~$200k a year, which isn't peanuts, but the issue is over pension, etc. Here's a good summary of the issue: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...77e4b6-07b4-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The article states that revenues = $9Billion this year.
There are 121 refs that will earn $200k by 2018.
Who is the idiot playing hardball?

Status
Not open for further replies.