• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Injury help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyDR

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm hoping to tap into the vast rugby knowledge our collective minds possess, specifically relating to injuries. So here is the story.

I’m a 25 year old male and have just had my second round of spinal surgery (double discectomy & spinal fusion of the C5/6 & C6/7 vertebra for you medical types). It’s not exactly minor surgery but I have always loved rugby and running so am desperate to get back into physical activity. My surgeon has never performed this type of operation on someone so young so would like me to err on the side of caution, my GP says wait and see and my physio doesn’t see why I couldn’t.
I would love to hear if anyone out there knows of someone (professional or armature) who had a similar injury and returned to physicality without making themselves worse off.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
My gut instinct from would be to err on the side of caution.

Your physio should be able to assess your range of movement, strength and weakness in the area, and essentially weigh up the options. You'd probably want to be getting some empirical data showing progress, strength and weakness in the affected area, and then setting your goals accordingly.

Without knowing any other aspects to the injury and rehab, I can't really say anything else aside from best of luck, and hopefully you'll be out playing something without any other serious injuries!

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
We all love our rugby but don't ever put it before your health & lifestyle if you're that keen on staying involved take up Coaching or become a ref the game always needs them.

MickeyDR

Bob McCowan (2)
An update for those interested.

I've taken advise from friends, family and many others and decided not to return to contact sport however have been able to get heavily involved in Crossfit which has its in kind of camaraderie and challenges.
My advice to anyone returning from a serious injury is to take time (years in necessary) to truly appreciate what has changed capability wise and adjust fitness accordingly.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Great to hear mate. Tough one i think when it comes to your neck or head just give it away. That was still my advice for Berrick Barnes. One more head knock and i would tell him to never play again.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Best of luck mate, and probably the right decision, albeit a sad one. I also had spinal surgery this edit: last year (although a more minor operation) and am also looking at not playing again (but probably mainly due to the combination of age), despite wanting to play one more year.

I thought my spinal surgeon was really good, and would recommend him if you wanted any other opinions (although I suspect he also would err on the side of caution).

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I have a bulging disc in my back, and wouldn't dream of playing again... well I dream.

The best thing I've done for it is Aikido, which strengthens your core muscles, and teaches you to stay relaxed.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I cant sleep so I've been doing some reading across the threads & came across this, here is an article from a local Rugby player who had to have his C5 & C6 fused. I know him through Rugby & actually play Rugby with his sister. He was in a neck brace for quite some time & there were fears he'd never play again. Not sure if its exactly the same as your injury but he is making a come back. His injury was caused by a perfectly legal tackle, he was just very unlucky on the way he landed & then had the full body weight of the tackler on top of him compound the spine. They actually described his injury as an explosion in his spine. Anyhow I agree with others that you need to be cautious & I think you've made the right decision to step away from Rugby. That being said I thought you could read this story as it does sound similar to your situation in part.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-union/lautaimi-set-for-return/2423313.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.