• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

InterCity Rugby Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The next game of the Inter City Rugby Series was supposed to be played on Saturday October 16 between Tuggeranong Vikings and Sydney Uni in Canberra.

I have heard that, for unknown reasons, both clubs have decided to postpone this game until the pre-season of 2011.

Maybe Bruce knows more or the reasons behind this?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The next game of the Inter City Rugby Series was supposed to be played on Saturday October 16 between Tuggeranong Vikings and Sydney Uni in Canberra.

I have heard that, for unknown reasons, both clubs have decided to postpone this game until the pre-season of 2011.

Maybe Bruce knows more or the reasons behind this?

One thing that comes to mind, Brumby, is that approximately 30 Sydney Uni players are involved with Super franchise training and quite a few more are carrying injuries, so the team available would be very thin.

Another problem with playing these games after the end of the season is whether clubs take them seriously. It certainly appears that that was the case with Queensland Uni. Lawrie Weeks told me he wasn't even informed that their Tuggeranong game was on and from all reports the Queensland players who did go treated it as a piss-up weekend.

It probably makes more sense to play these games pre-season when players should be more focussed. I understand that the two Unis will be playing the Sydney-Brisbane game in March.

Sydney Uni will still be depleted by Super commitments as in the past few years, but it will be essntially the team they will be starting the Shute Shield season with so there should be no excuses. You put your best team available on the paddock and accept the result.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thanks Bruce.

I thought those reasons might be the case. It seems that a good idea has been poorly executed by trying to have them at the end of a long season.
Those who are in Super Rugby squads will be commencing pre-season training soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.