• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

International Eligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Armitage considering the loophole:

Steffon Armitage is plotting a sensational switch of allegiance to France which could see him come back to haunt England at next year’s Rugby World Cup.
The Rugby Paper understands Toulon’s star back rower is exploring the possibility of representing Les Bleus after being alerted to a loophole in the IRB’s Olympic Sevens qualifying regulations which allows ‘capped’ players the opportunity to swap countries.
- See more at: http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/feat...-cup-chance-with-france/#sthash.64OorgAl.dpuf

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
These stories are going to keep popping up, every man and his dog will be linked to a new country. I'll believe it when I see it.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the restrictions are a bit strict. Don't see a problem with someone who played a handful of tests for 1 nation a few years ago representing another nation of heritage. Especially if it's an island nation or another tier 2 team.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I reckon its a bit of a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line on "another nation of heritage"?

Pretty sure none of the players that France want to bring in have any French heritage. I feel pretty comfortable if Steve Mafi takes a shot at eligibility for Australia (although I don't think he will) as he was born here, grew up here and went through our age grade system. Don't know how I feel about swapping over due to residency eligibility.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon its a bit of a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line on "another nation of heritage"?

Pretty sure none of the players that France want to bring in have any French heritage. I feel pretty comfortable if Steve Mafi takes a shot at eligibility for Australia (although I don't think he will) as he was born here, grew up here and went through our age grade system. Don't know how I feel about swapping over due to residency eligibility.

Well I'd prefer if switching was based on heritage - i.e. citizenship gained through heritage. Mainly so it would benefit the smaller nations more than the richer ones.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
About 10 years ago I postulated that players in the top tier of rugby nations should be able to play for a second tier nation if the first country they played for had no objection, and if they otherwise qualified for the second tier nation.

It shouldn't work the other way around.

I posted that several times in different rugby forums since that time.

That should be the only exception to the IRB regulation which was made in about 2000 said I.

The question arose as to what was a first or second-tier nation but that was just fine print that could be worked out.

You could even change the concept to distinguish between those countries who play in the RC or in 6N - and those that don't.

That doesn't cover a player who wants to change between countries in the same category, but I still think that is the way to go.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
About 10 years ago I postulated that players in the top tier of rugby nations should be able to play for a second tier nation if the first country they played for had no objection, and if they otherwise qualified for the second tier nation.

I don't think the first country should have any say. Makes it potentially inconsistent.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^

My proposal was more for the likes of Joe Rock or Sivi at the end of their international careers which NZ would not have objected to.

It wouldn't cover the Steffon Armitage case; nor did it purport to: It was only from first tier to second tier. It is hardly likely that a player would prefer to play for a second tier nation when a first tier nation wanted him.

I still think it is a good compromise for 4 out of 5 cases which is better than 0 out of 5.

So, the Armitage case does not apply but that excites people as a news story. Not to the point of my post but I think it is a pity that Steffon is so affected because the boys were brought up in France.

In the long term I think that my proposal would help Island rugby nations in particular and that can't be a bad thing.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)

It shouldn't work the other way around.

I posted that several times in different rugby forums since that time.

That should be the only exception to the IRB regulation which was made in about 2000 said I.

The question arose as to what was a first or second-tier nation but that was just fine print that could be worked out.

You could even change the concept to distinguish between those countries who play in the RC or in 6N - and those that don't.

That doesn't cover a player who wants to change between countries in the same category, but I still think that is the way to go.

Great point LG and the IRB already has mechanisms in place to distinguish the target nations. They use a combination of bands and the tier system. So while New Zealand, Australia, England etc. might be in the same band (high performance) as Samoa, Fiji etc. Tier 1 is defined as only those high performance nations in TRC and the 6Ns.

The IRB could even go a step further and apply the same good sense that you are talking between Tier 2 and Tier 3 nations or cascade it down the bands from Tier 1 -> Tier 2 -> Performance -> Targeted -> Development.

That kind of cascade would really help with the development of teams outside of those who regularly appear at RWCs. Players who've played at a higher level of the game can really inspire the players around them and change the whole mindset. The pay-off is rarely immediate, but having a guy who's played in the RWC or Pacific Cup can really inspire others to want to achieve that.

It might not mean that the guys he's playing with suddenly become so much better that they qualify for their first RWC. However it could be that they inspire others to want to strive to see their country in the RWC. Someone he plays with might end up being the coach that leads their country to their first RWC.

Sometimes I think that we, as the privileged few from Tier 1 nations, spend so much time looking down to other nations that we forget that all the way down the bottom of the pyramid their are nations looking up. Many of their goals are things that we take for granted but achieving them aren't any less special because of that.

I'm glad the rugby community has guys like you around who can be a sensible voice for change that helps the smaller nations rather than always suiting the big unions and clubs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's being reported that Tim Nanai-Williams will be eligible to play tests for Manu Samoa later this year (RWC) if he plays another two 7s matches beforehand. This, after he had represented NZ at 7s some years ago.

Apparently, David Smith is considering the same move. Currently with Toulon but iirc had a year with the Force a couple of years ago.

Can only help to strengthen those PI teams if this continues.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It was tightened, the players have to he legitimate sevens players, so its not really there for props, but that's not an issue for Nanai-Williams.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wonder if world rugby's restriction could be challenged legally by some Samoan prop. If a back has the ability to switch their allegiance then it seems unfair that a tight forward can't.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Its not specifically position based, but works out that way because a panel has to be convinced the player is a genuine 7s player. If a prop were to legitimately make a 7s side (and there a probably a couple who could) then they'd be allowed to swap too.

Status
Not open for further replies.